New to me Jinma 224 : Slew of repairs (throttle, clutch, electrical, ignition, 3pt)

/ New to me Jinma 224 : Slew of repairs (throttle, clutch, electrical, ignition, 3pt) #1  

jbrukardt

Bronze Member
Tractor
none
So, my very first real tractor has fallen into my hands. An Iron Horse 224 with a FEL. It has significant issues, but does run well and the price sure was right.

I got the whole package for $3300, including

1) Iron Horse 224 Tractor w/ Front End Loader
2) 3 point 5 foot bush hog
3) 3 point Rear blade
4) 3 point Auger
5) 3 point double plow
6) 1 point disc harrow

The FEL alone is worth $1800 in my opinion, and its in great condition, the bush hog another 800 or so, etc.

Im no stranger to doing some work on my own stuff, but this is a bigger class of machine than ive worked on before. My previous largest machine was a Simplicity Sunstar garden tractor.

The issues i've identified so far:

1) The clutch needs adjustment

This one seems to be well documented, and i have no concern that I can do it. Its not grinding though, but the engage point is very very narrow and its tough to get in gear. Thankfully my FEL is the quick attach version, so i can get it off easily to get to the clutch viewing box pretty easily i think.

2) The hand throttle is very very sloppy, and has no holding power ( falls back to idle without keeping your hand on it, and has about 6 inches of play where it does nothing)

I understand theres an nylock nut someplace under the cowl that should fix this up?

3) The fuel shutoff pull knob is disconnected
4) The starter solenoid is disconnected (the PO was starting it by jumping the positive battery cable to the solenoid every time! crazy)
5) The taillights are disconnected
6) there is a random blue wire under the dash thats not hooked to anything :p thats gonna be fun tracing out.
7) I may have a 3 point cylinder lift leak. The rear blade wont stay up for more than 30 seconds. It also may just be a poorly adjusted valve (the knob under the seat). Rest of the hydro system is fine. FEL/Power Steering, Etc.
8) Needs new front tires
9) Needs some fiberglass repair, nothing some bondo wont fix up.
10) Ignition may or may not function, cant tell until i get the solenoid hooked back up
11) Front headlight needs replacing
12) Quick attach loader "legs" for when you take it off are missing. I think i should be able to make some up out of square tubing no problem.
13) Left foot rest needs a weld, the bolt snapped off

Thus far thats all the issues i've identified, while i believe i certaintly will need some advice from you fine folks, and a good amount of research, im confident i can get her fixed right up. She's an older machine, a 2004 with unknown hours (its rolled over to 4 hours, i imagine that means 1004, or someone messed with the hour meter), but for the price i think I did well. No rust, always kept inside. A large number of mostly small issues it seems. Previous owner seemed to have no idea how to do maintenence or fix things, or drive her for that matter.

What do you guys think? Any advice on the issues (specifically the throttle one)?

Pictures worth 1000 words:

yrlOsYn.jpg
veRuOA3.jpg

QBGySIw.jpg

FGIdh7U.jpg

kbWDDaG.jpg

/ New to me Jinma 224 : Slew of repairs (throttle, clutch, electrical, ignition, 3pt) #2  
We can help you with most problems and parts, the clutch switch prob. went bad so the orig. owner did not know and bypassed it. The hand throttle has a double set of nuts that should tighten that up,your tractor is the same as a 200 series Jinma, we have manuals, and prob. every part for it.

As time permits we will try to help you with tech questions, but we stay pretty busy so if you call and we are not able to help right then that's why

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales
"Your Jinma Parts Superstore"
Home of compact Jinma, Foton, and Koyker Tractors and Parts, Wood Chippers, Backhoes - Affordable Tractor Sales Company

/ New to me Jinma 224 : Slew of repairs (throttle, clutch, electrical, ignition, 3pt)
As expected Tommy, i figured you would be the first reply. I've seen your posts on any number of the chinese tractor forums when i was reading up and have been very impressed.

I certaintly will be ordering any parts i need from you. Thanks for chiming in so quickly

/ New to me Jinma 224 : Slew of repairs (throttle, clutch, electrical, ignition, 3pt) #4  
Looks like you got a good deal, there are some common items if you read thru the forum here will give you some great leads.

Also look at Johns Tractor page start HERE JinmaInfo4

some good posts and lots of maintenance items diagrams schematics etc there the 224 thru 284 share a LOT of common items.

In the one pic the larger RING terminal is one that feeds power to your fuse block I believe. looks to be a #10 gauge yellow one which I think that is. The BLUE, RED etc colors mean little on these things as they seemed to change at whim but I THINK mine was either fuel gauge or horn...

For some reason those front tires look to be WRONG size from looking at mine. this is pic of mine back when it was NEW in 2002

the WEAR on the fronts indicate they must have used 4x4 full time and on hard surfaces both of which is a no no..

Mark

/ New to me Jinma 224 : Slew of repairs (throttle, clutch, electrical, ignition, 3pt)
Looks like you got a good deal, there are some common items if you read thru the forum here will give you some great leads.

Also look at Johns Tractor page start HERE JinmaInfo4

some good posts and lots of maintenance items diagrams schematics etc there the 224 thru 284 share a LOT of common items.

In the one pic the larger RING terminal is one that feeds power to your fuse block I believe. looks to be a #10 gauge yellow one which I think that is. The BLUE, RED etc colors mean little on these things as they seemed to change at whim but I THINK mine was either fuel gauge or horn...

For some reason those front tires look to be WRONG size from looking at mine. this is pic of mine back when it was NEW in 2002

the WEAR on the fronts indicate they must have used 4x4 full time and on hard surfaces both of which is a no no..

Mark

Id tend to agree on the tires.... i read up on 4x4 on these jinmas, and dont see hardly any scenario where i would use it. Maybe plowing on ice or something where there would be a ton of slip.

Well, since i have to replace the tires anyway, what size is recommended in ags? Id like to use the same wheel rims if possible to cut down on expense.

Ive had a chance to mess around with the machine a bit more, and have identified some more issues and questions.

1) It seems to be stuck in low gear. For the most part im ok with this, as thats how ill be using it primarily, but something very strange happens when i attempt to switch it to high gear. I cant quite find the procedure, so im just trying to use common sense. You guys correct me if im wrong here.

To switch to high gear, i drop it into neutral on the main gear lever, clutch up, clutch back down and pull up on the hi-lo lever to bring it into high. It moves easily into high, but heres the catch.....

the minute i put it into high and clutch up, it start spewing pink fluid of the breather tube over the 3 point lift. That seems very strange and unrelated.

All this is at a complete stop.

cleaned up and rewired the solenoid. Switch still doesnt work. In fact, the entire dash is dead, the gauges, the switches, the key, everything. Makes me wonder if i have a blown 30 amp fuse, as i know those OEM switches are prone to blowing fuses.

4USgGS1.png

Have some minor oil leakage around the spool valve for the loader

eUYKD2d.png

these are those shot tires that are most likely wrong

6ELS7Wz.jpg

/ New to me Jinma 224 : Slew of repairs (throttle, clutch, electrical, ignition, 3pt) #7  
That fluid spewing out has nothing to do with transmission, that is the Hydraulic tank vent.

It appears someone used ATF in it and that is not the best stuff in there but will work in cold climates ok I guess. It appears you are sucking air into the Hyd Pump which turns the ATF to FOAM the foam expands the volume inside the system and pushes out all the fluid. That is when it sucks MORE air and makes MORE foam it is self feeding and hard to stop. Look for damaged QDs or holes worn into suction line or the filter/screen. Drain out the ATF and add in some Hydraulic Fluid from the local Farm Store (make sure it is yellow metals compatible.)

there is a dip stick on the bottom of that cap/vent unscrew it and check level it will be real low I'm sure. check level with just setting it on top NOT screwing it in.

get the part numbers off the sidewall of the front tire and ask Tommy at Affordable they will have proper sizes on hand, I can look at mine but I have a 284 and not sure but think the tire sizes on the 204 is different.

there should be Fuse Box under hood with several wire wound fuses they use wires of specific size and that wire carrys the current. the link above there are electrical dia on Johns site, and I think a few other sites have them too get that out and start digging into the wiring.

FYI do not disconnect any Hydraulic QDs with the engine running a blown pump seal or pump will happen. only disconnect and reconnect with engine off.
Mark

You know, I agree that it has absolutely zero to do with the transmission, which is why it makes so little sense.

Reproducibly (three times) when i try to go to high gear, it immediately start spewing. Not so much as a drop under any condition in low gear (raise/lower hitch, use loader, drive, etc)

That said i definitely am planning on doing a complete flush, and i will inspect the whole system at the same time to check for leaks. Will check my level post haste too, i bet im low too, im getting jerky movements in the loader on attempt to lower.

/ New to me Jinma 224 : Slew of repairs (throttle, clutch, electrical, ignition, 3pt) #9  
jbrukardt,
I don’t understand this:
“To switch to high gear, i drop it into neutral on the main gear lever, clutch up, clutch back down and pull up on the hi-lo lever to bring it into high. It moves easily into high . . .”

I have not used a 224, but suspect they have the same transmission as the 284. The transmission has a Hi and Lo range. In each of these ranges there are 3 forward gears and 1 reverse. So there are 6 forward speeds and 2 reverse speeds.

I normally run mine in the Hi range. When I want to shift from 1st gear to 3rd gear, I simply put in the clutch and move the gear shift. I only use the Hi-Lo select lever when I want a set of very low gears for a particular ‘heavy’ task.

If the 224 has the same setup, please explain why you are involving both the shift and the HI-Lo to switch between Low and High gears.
erj

/ New to me Jinma 224 : Slew of repairs (throttle, clutch, electrical, ignition, 3pt) #10