Brakes on 2005 Foton 254

/ Brakes on 2005 Foton 254 #1  

valley

Platinum Member
Tractor
Michigan 55A, Foton 254
Greetings, The brakes are on the drive line. Guessing they are wet brakes, never had them apart. But they are adjusted and apply. We have a pritty step hill here. Last year year I missed a gear and had an exciting ride down to the street.

Now wife and the girls nag me about getting the brakes to work properly.

Can they be made to hold or stop the machine on a hill or is this type of brake only good for flat ground? Thanks

Richard

/ Brakes on 2005 Foton 254 #2  
The brakes on my DF254 are not that great either, They will hold it if stopped but sure don't work very good on a steep slope. Mine are dry disk.

Cleat

/ Brakes on 2005 Foton 254 #3  
I have an FT404 and the brakes work great the will stop the tractor going downhill with a ton and a half sprayer pushing it along. And you are a braver man than me going to change gear going downhill on a tractor with a manual gearbox or did it pop out of gear?

/ Brakes on 2005 Foton 254
Thanks Cleat, I guess we have what we have.

Zonta, No, It doesn't pop out of gear, I missed a shift and there was no getting it into gear. The brakes on the 404 must be of better design.

Ta Richard

/ Brakes on 2005 Foton 254 #5  
zonta's brakes are better than the ones on my 404. They are wet brakes, they do work ok on flat ground but if I came out of gear on a steep downhill slope I would have to stand up and mash them to stop. I have other maintenance to do this winter and brakes will be one of my learning discoveries when I tear it down.