Tractor
    A yellow one

Default Re: 2008 Foton 254 Generator to Alernator Swap

Oh my. <sigh>

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Foton TE254A

Your right that the ammeter might be better suited to read battery current evidently bypassing the starter motor. The pulley was changed with a smaller pulley to help at idle.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Jinma 354, purchased 2007

I swear I read about that very modification on this very forum. I wonder if you bought it from a former poster here.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Ford 1900 - Steiner 420 - Black Craftsman Pro 24hp - Simplicity ZT-2500

I have a Delco 60 wired with the ammeter in the ckt and it's worked fine for years now. I would recommend that when not in use that you put a Battery tender on it. That way when you start it the alternator doesn't have to peak out through the cheap Chinese wiring.

Steve

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Foton TE254A

I'm upgrading the wire of the primary wiring so I think I'll be fine in regards to the wiring. But thanks for your input, it is much appreciated. I might install a battery tender eventually, we'll see

Tractor
    Foton FT404

Quote Originally Posted by D0TC0M View Post
    I'm upgrading the wire of the primary wiring so I think I'll be fine in regards to the wiring. But thanks for your input, it is much appreciated. I might install a battery tender eventually, we'll see
    Hello,
    I have a 05 Foton ft404, previous owner lost keys, and ran with out gauges. I was hoping key was only issue, but doesn't look like it. As I found major issues with Chinese Tractors is the electronics, and the external voltage regulator, I want to swap out the alternator I picked up a 80 GM 2 WIRE alternator.
    Any further information and guidance would be greatly appreciated. I used a power wheel battery to supply power to the instrument panel, all seemed ok. Trying to figure out how to hook up panel to power with upgraded alternator.

Thanks again for any help
    Greatly appreciated

Tractor
    Jinma 284 delivered 06/28/05

Might be better to start a new thread instead of resurecting a 3 year old one...

Few hints thoug. Panel wiring should really be uneffected. That should be guided by the original wiring diagram and should be uneffected by a new alternator installation.

As for the alternator, I would suggest looking at some system/vehicle diagrams that use that alternator to see where the new alternator typiclly returns power to the system. In the end tough, the foton schematic should show one alternator output where it puts power back into the wiring. What can be confusing is that the external regulator probably uses a sense wire where it measures the voltage it is regulating to. This wont be used with the new alternator and can be removed when you pull out the old reg. At any rate the new alternator needs to connect to that old power input point
    Ron

Tractor
    Foton FT404

Quote Originally Posted by RonMar View Post
    Might be better to start a new thread instead of resurecting a 3 year old one...

Few hints thoug. Panel wiring should really be uneffected. That should be guided by the original wiring diagram and should be uneffected by a new alternator installation.

As for the alternator, I would suggest looking at some system/vehicle diagrams that use that alternator to see where the new alternator typiclly returns power to the system. In the end tough, the foton schematic should show one alternator output where it puts power back into the wiring. What can be confusing is that the external regulator probably uses a sense wire where it measures the voltage it is regulating to. This wont be used with the new alternator and can be removed when you pull out the old reg. At any rate the new alternator needs to connect to that old power input point
    Thanks Ron,
    Yeah I figured I'd respond to their old post since they did it. I was thinking just replace the fuse box and wires as they have been part of the Chinese issues.

Tractor
    Branson 8050, IH 574, Oliver 1550 Diesel Utility

This web site has a lot of good information on auto wiring which is compatible with a tractor,
    MadElectrical.com - Electrical Tech
    Good connections and components are the key, a lot of people will try and steer you away from crimp connectors,
    the good ones designed for outdoors and under water work well. similar to these
    Amazon.com: 5pcs Heat Shrink Butt Connectors, Sopoby Waterproof Wire Connectors Insulated Crimp Electrical Terminals Marine Automotive (3Red 2Blue): Cell Phones & Accessories

Tractor
    Jinma 284 delivered 06/28/05

Crimp connectors are fine, IF you use the right crimp tool like a klein 1005 or 1006...
    Ron

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12