Jinma 284 PTO Issues

/ Jinma 284 PTO Issues #1  

Druevan

Tractor
Jinma 284
I recently bought a used 284 with about 230 hours on it. I was using the backhoe in the yard today, and decided to take a break, drove over to the shop, shut down, got some coffee. I had decided to top off the hydraulic fluid in the backhoe, so I let the stabilizers and arm down to take the pressure off, then opened her up and poured a bunch in. Caps back on, fired up, went to lift the arm - no go. No stabilizer movement, nada.

So after a good amount of reading on this board, some diagnosis, a pretty good mess, I have discovered the following.

My PTO does not seem to engage any more. With the engage lever down, the speed selection on 540 or 1000, I do not observe any movement. The PTO shaft does not turn at all. Neither does the slotted shaft that drives my backhoe pump. I can freely turn the slotted shaft with my fingers. On the PTO shaft, I can turn it freely when PTO is engaged, freely when in 1000, and with some slight resistance when in 540.

I am wondering if the engagement lever has come off inside? Everything was working great before I stopped for my break and tried to add the fluid to the backhoe. Any ideas?

/ Jinma 284 PTO Issues #2  
make sure BOTH PTO levers are in the engage pos, the one on the floor board right by your heal when driving AND the 540/1000 (should be in the 540 RPM spot.)

Mark

/ Jinma 284 PTO Issues #3  
Yep, 284 has TWO pto levers. the 540/neutral/1000 lever in the back, and th general engage/disengage lever located down by where your right heel would be located when seated on the tractor facing forward. On that lever up = PTO engaged. You may have stepped down/bumped it down while mounting/dismounting the tractor...

/ Jinma 284 PTO Issues
I found and engaged the other level properly (it was down, but not in gear) and the shafts began to turn, which was great.. except that I then observed fluid coming out of the upper shaft (the notch one). I am guessing that isn't normal?

/ Jinma 284 PTO Issues #5  
Upper shaft? You mean the smooth shaft with a single slot across the end above the splined PTO shaft where you bolt on the backhoe hydraulic pump? That shaft either has a pump installed over it, or a cast iron cover plate with gasket, as that hole is directly into the gearbox. IF you can see the shaft spinning when the engine is running(no pump or cover installed), then yes you will get gearoil flowing out that hole(quite a lot of it:)). That is perfectly normal. Install the pump/coverplate with paper gasket and the leaking should stop:)

/ Jinma 284 PTO Issues #6  
Which backhoe do you have? How does the pump for the backhoe attach to the tractor PTO?

/ Jinma 284 PTO Issues
I have the JW-03. I re-assembled everything, fired back, everything was working well for a while.. then I noticed issues with not getting the boom to raise. Turns out those allen-head bolts holding the brackets the control levers are in were backing out and loose, so I tightened them up, which solved my initial problem. However, I noticed I had a leak from the main input to the valve assembly. Off to find an O-ring tomorrow.

/ Jinma 284 PTO Issues #8  
So if you have the JW03, you probably have a pump like the one shown below that mounts on the PTO Aux shaft with 4 bolts above the actual PTO shaft?

PumponPTOAuxShaft.jpg

/ Jinma 284 PTO Issues
Correct. I had pulled that unit off to verify if the shaft was actually turning or not.

/ Jinma 284 PTO Issues #10  
Yea, the joysticks are kind of sloppy. I reccomend locktight for the yolk mount screws. I wrote up a procedure for someone with a moderate ammount of fab skills to significantly tighten up the joystick operation. It makes a big difference in how controllable the BH is. I thought I posted it on thei forum, but I am unable to locate it with the search function.

If you are interested you can see it over on the chinesetractor forum at chinesetractor.proboards.com/thread/739/backhoe-joystick-modifications