MMM??? And other newbie questions....

/ MMM??? And other newbie questions.... #1  

RobertO

What is MMM? Also, some of the veterans here talk about the Jinma tractor being really good, but lacks "fit and finish". Specifically, what does that mean?

thanx

/ MMM??? And other newbie questions.... #2  
MMM = Mid Mount Mower or what most folks used to call a belly mower. I think a marketing guru for one of the big tractor companies must have thought that belly mower sounded too unsophisticated. As for fit and finish. That refers to the sheet metal, paint job, and such. The Jinmas and other China brands usually don't have the quality of finish that the domestic tractors have. I was looking at a Homier Farmpro (Jinma) at a Homier tool sale the other day and you could see the grain in the fiberglass hood. On the wheels there was small amounts of rust seeping through some ares where the paint was too thin. That is the sort of thing people mean when they refer to fit and finish.

/ MMM??? And other newbie questions.... #3  
Brent summed it up nice for you.

On those jinmas. I agree completely.. The importer/assembler has some control over these issues, as I have seen Nortracs that look nice.. and homier farm pro that were 'banged up' during assembly.

There are also a few other issues on the jinma that fall into the fit and finsih.. that are minor, unless you don't do any maintenance. Things such as the battery .. is generally thought of as economy/cheap.. some of the nuts and bolts either loosten or sometimes break.. as I've heard... but those are maintenance things.. if you see a loose bolt.. tighten or replac eit etc. Every now and then you hear of an oring leak.. especially if there is a lodaer installed. Again.. I don't have one.. but there that these are minor issues.. etc.. easilly corrected, and at half the price of the domestic models.. etc.

Fit and finish generally refers to non-critical issues.

Soundguy

/ MMM??? And other newbie questions.... #4  
If you happen to be looking at Jinma for yardwork, and absolutly want a MMM, you will probably need to look elsewhere. Jinma does have a 5' MMM for the 200 series Jinma, but has some defieciencies. It is powered by the rear pto, not a mid pto, so you can't use the rear three point, without removing mower. From pictures, it does not look to be easy to install/remove. I believe there are also issues with mounting, when a FEL is installed. If going with Jinma, would recommend a 6' rear discharge RFM (Rear Finish Mower).

See pictures here: web page

/ MMM??? And other newbie questions.... #5  
RobertO . . . I won't repeat what others have already said, but it sounds like you are looking for a tractor to MOW the lawn with. If that is true, and since you are a newbie, I would strongly urge you to consider a tractor with a HYDROSTATIC transmission (HST). This is a hotly debated topic, but from the standpoint of ease of use, quicker learning curve, etc. a tractor with a hydro is easier and faster. Some folks without them swear you don't need them and that gears are "just as good" but then there are those of us who own BOTH types of tractors and find that we use the ones with the hydro a lot more often for many jobs.

A hydrostatic transmission is essentially an automatic transmission like you have on a car. Push one pedal and the tractor goes forward, push it harder and it goes faster, let up on it and it slows to a stop. Push another pedal and the tractor goes backwards. It is simple, fast, reliable and SAFE. For mowing, especially around trees, landscaping, etc it is a wonderful thing to have. All the major tractor brands have small & medium size tractors (usually up to 40+ hp) with hydro transmissions. Also, a mid mount mower on a mid-pto is ideal for mowing because it leaves the rear pto and the 3pt hitch free. For safety's sake, each pto should be able to be controlled seperately.

I might suggest you look at Kioti, NH, Deere, Kubota, Cub Cadet as places where you will find HST transmissions and tractors that have a mid-pto to operate a MMM.

/ MMM??? And other newbie questions....
Thanks for all the replies. I was lurking here and other forums and never figured out what MMM meant. Also thanks for someone explaining what HST stands for.

Actually, I am not looking for somehting to just mow with. I have over 15 acres of VERY undeveloped land by Needville Texas. Thick black gumbo (clay), 3/4 heavily wooded. I do need to mow what I can in the spring, so I can move a few cattle in. I am going out this weekend to clear thick (4"!!!) vines and saplings from the wooded area. I am buyiing a Stihl o180 chainsaw to do this. I was lurking in a thread comparing chainsaws earlier, and Stihl was highly recommended. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Once the larger undergrowth is gone, I can get a tractor back there with a shredder. I would also like to dig another small pond (200ft diameter) in one of the lower areas and use the dirt to build up a place for a barn. To dream.....
Has anyone used a tractor with a FEL and box spreader to dig a small pond like this that is only about 4 ft deep?

/ MMM??? And other newbie questions.... #7  
From your description of what you have, I'd like to steer you in a completely different direction. And I am not trying to confuse you.

But forget the MMM. In fact forget the mower. I think you need a rotary cutter, sometimes refered to as a brush cutter, brush hog or bush hog. A MMM is a finish mower for mowing lawns. A RFM is a rear mounted finish mower, also for mowing lawns. You don't sound like you have a lawn.

So you need a rotary cutter. And if you have 15 acres to deal with, you should be looking at something in the neighborhood of 29 to 35 engine horsepower. The NH TC29D is a great machine, ditto the Kubota B2910. Both are on the bottom end of the power range you might want to look at. Both are featured filled tractors with HST, both are capable of operating strong loaders. You should also consider larger machines. The advantage TC29 or B22910 over the larger machines is they have plenty of power in a medium size frame so you can get into the trees easier and get out of tight spots. Now if you are looking to clear the trees, then go bigger. But if you are looking to tame the land and keep lots of trees, then you need to have something that can get into them. That was the reason I just bought a TC24D, it is powerful but very compact and it lets me get up close and personal to the trees in my woods.

But I would (this is just my personal opinion) forget the idea of digging the pond with a tractor. You are talking 200' diameter by 4' deep. That is when you call in a bull dozer and driver. For what that costs you to dig (driver & machine) you will save WEEKS (maybe MONTHS) of labor and tons of wear and tear on a tractor and I would not consider doing it with any compact utility tractor under 40 or 50 hp? I may be over stating the problem, but I'd like a pond and I wouldn't even consider anything I own as capable of starting a project like that. Then again, I don't own a big tractor.

/ MMM??? And other newbie questions....
I should have said in my earlier response that I am not interested in MMM now that I know what it is. I am not real sure how a MMM would bounce over the numerous FIRE ANT MOUNDS /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif For those not from the South, these mounds are huge and they are about every 30 feet.

Here is another dreamy question. How big does a tractor have to be to pull a square hay bailer? I may want to grow hay on some neighbor's field -- someday....

I am not sure how it is in other counties/states, but owning land can get expensive tax-wise here. I think my taxes on my 15 little acres would be about $500-700 a year. Since I and a couple of neighbors pool our land and have cattle, we get the ag break which means I paid $40 in taxes last year. Significant! I am thinking about approaching some other people about letting me make hay on their land and they get the tax break....

/ MMM??? And other newbie questions.... #9  
Yes got to keep the land on the CAUV tax break fro sure, my farm 22.5 acres, small but fun is maintained mostly in woods and planted in trees, I don't MOW much of it maybe 4 acres, 1 of which uses riding mower the rest is rider & RMF . I have a 28 HP Jinma: I bought & assembled it myself, saved some and had fun, I blew a O-Ring because I missed tighteneing a block down, but it showed up and was an easy fix.

the numbers on my unit is JM284 (stands for jinma and 28 hp and 4 wheel drive) I ahve china bach hoe and FEL also known as a JW03 hoe and ZL20 FEL.

understanding terminolgy is hardest thing about geting info from any BB. so if you have questions please feel free to ask. we long time users take for granted when people use abreavations for stuff and often the new people are lost and find it harder to learn because they are affraid to ask and think people will look at them like they are sill or dumb. when in fact asking questions is a good thing and should be done by the pros too! lol.

other good to know abrevations

lol = Laugh out loud
roflmao = rolling on floor laughing my a$$ off
RMF = rear mount finish mower
TLB = tractor loader back hoe
PHD = post hole digger
rotary = or usually refers to (brush hog, rough cutter or bush cutter by other names.)

anythign I'm missing guys feel free to add it in.

SPIKER
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ MMM??? And other newbie questions.... #10  
Bob's on the money... loaders are superior digging machines.. that's what excavators are for ( backhoes ).. or even pans, or bulldozers. Dozers rent fairly cheap, and a good operator can push that dirt up into stockpiles for you to scoop up with your loader.. something it was readilly designed to do.
Ditto on the rotary cutter as well.

Soundguy