Jinma 284 gauge reads no oil pressure

/ Jinma 284 gauge reads no oil pressure #1  

nepa

Silver Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi 180D, Jinma 284 sold, Kubota BX2660, IH Cub, Case 580CK, Minneapolis Moline 4 Star (sold), TYM 574, Furukawa FX-040
Changed the oil and filter on my 05 284 and put in the 6 qts as I have done for the past 10 years. Maybe I made a mistake, but my dipstick is reading over full after letting it run for two minutes after the oil change. I ran it anyway today for about an hour cutting grass with my 6' finish mower. Everything sounded perfectly normal. I didn't notice until I was shutting it down that the oil pressure gauge was at zero. Also noticed that oil was being pushed out the breather. The level on the dip stick is still at the same above full level. I never had any problems with the engine, and oil pressure has always been perfect. I checked the wires to the sender and they were tight. When I turn the key from off to run (not start), the gauge moves the tiny bit that it always did so it is not a blown fuse. I used the same Purolator filter that I always have. I guess that I should bring the oil level down. But why zero pressure? Any thoughts?

Last edited:
   / Jinma 284 gauge reads no oil pressure
I did a little more diagnostics today and believe the gauge to be good. With the wire from the gauge disconnected at the sender, the gauge jumps all the way to hot. Does anyone know if a generic sender is available from NAPA, Advance Auto or another source?

/ Jinma 284 gauge reads no oil pressure #3  
When i get a generator that shuts down from oil pressure, the first thing i do is remove the sender unit and install a true dial pressure guage to test pressures. So far its always been a bad sending unit. Not sure why your getting blow thru on the breather though.

/ Jinma 284 gauge reads no oil pressure
Since the pressure went from perfect to zero suddenly, I have to agree that the sender failed. I already have one on order. I went to NAPA and Advance today and neither store stocks a simple mechanical gauge that can thread on. Ebay has them for under $10 including shipping but I will probably just wait till the new sender arrives.