Shenniu 254 : uneven fuel pressure from the pump

/ Shenniu 254 : uneven fuel pressure from the pump #1  

RES94025

Tractor
Shinniu 254
I've been struggling with a Shenniu 254 and hope someone here might be able to provide some insight / experience / thoughts / help. This tractor sat idle for four (maybe more) years on a small farm in Hawaii. Am told it ran when parked. After a lot of work (battery, fuses, wiring repair, fuel lines, fuel filters, new manual fuel pump, etc)I did get it to start - but after running for a few minutes it died and won't start again.

It appears that the issue is that the fuel pump is not generating any pressure to the front cylinder (also front output from the pump). The rear output is pulsing fuel under pretty good pressure but I don't have the ability to measure actual pressure. I've opened up the output fittings on the pump and everything appears fine - check valves in place, springs in place, spring tension seems same front and back. I've interchanged the front / rear assemblies with no change so I think the issue is deeper in the pump - but at this point I am completely out of my depth.

Any thoughts on where I should look next? I'm resigned to the strong probability that I need a new pump but my curiosity would still love to figure out where the failure point is here.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!