Foton 254 split

/ Foton 254 split #1  

succor

Silver Member
Tractor
foton 254
Following Rich Waughs excellent writeup on his tractor split. I have the leak between the bell housing and sump and time to go to work. Will keep track with pics and writeup as I go through the procedure. stay tuned!

Cory

/ Foton 254 split
Alright everyone, got the tractor split. sorry for the delay but bits and pieces over the last couple of days got me to this point. The whole process was in fact very easy IMO. I would say a total of 3 man hours to do this and not rushing. Again Kudos to the forums for these tractors! of course there is the rebuild which I will come to shortly but not without parts first and foremost the loose bolts to the engine and leaky gasket! Heres some pics to start..

Also kudos to dad for supplying me with some much needed tools like this hoist and chainfall he built years ago! Sorry if the pics are not clear enough. I'm fiddling with file size right now. You can see some mods that I did from the info on this forum. This came in from the 30 acres of hay so it needs cleaning!

More coming..

Attachments

• foton1.jpg
    foton1.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 526
  • foton2.jpg
    foton2.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 417
  • foton3.jpg
    foton3.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 465
  • foton4.jpg
    foton4.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 413
   / Foton 254 split #3  
Thanks for the pics. I might have to split mine next summer because my PTO doesn't disengage completely even after verifying the PTO pressure plate finger clearance so your pics and feedback here will make it a piece of cake by the sounds of it.

How hard was it to remove the front driveshaft assembly?

/ Foton 254 split #4  
I am also watching this because my Dong Feng has a very chattery / shakey clutch when engaging both PTO and main drive.

I checked all gaps and clutch is setup properly.

Flywheel must be the culprit.

Cleat

/ Foton 254 split
Hey fellas, thanks for the replies, my writeup will continue as I gather my pics and info. Hey Dotcom, the front drive shaft slides out with the front of the tractor as I rolled it. Its got a housing in the middle bolted to the bell housing for support. I thought there was a joint here but more like a sleeve. So I did some unnecessary steps which I will show more closely.

/ Foton 254 split
Ok everyone just updating my pics here. basically everything here was required to disconnect for the split which wasn't very much. On the right side of the tractor was my custom wiring for the alternator (gm 3 wire) grounds and wiring for the starter. the hydraulics came off the pump as well as the 2 lines for the power assist. the first picture shows my wiring which i will need to clean up again behind the fuel tank that i removed. The 5th picture is a shot from the right side of the steering system. Notice mounting is before the split area so didn't have to remove! The last picture was trying to show the slow leak I had underneath before the split.

The one thing i like about this tractor is that it came with front to rear loader brackets for support on the middle which was discussed from Rich's post. These i believe have prevented a major disaster. Also while i am this far Im going to clean up my wiring. I added extra grounds because of the poor factory grounds that exist. More will be coming stay tunes...

Cory

Attachments

• foton6.jpg
    foton6.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 285
  • foton8.jpg
    foton8.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 315
  • foton9.jpg
    foton9.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 276
  • foton10.jpg
    foton10.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 354
  • foton7.jpg
    foton7.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 290
  • foton5.jpg
    foton5.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 287
   / Foton 254 split
foton11.jpgfoton12.jpgfoton13.jpgfoton14.jpgfoton15.jpgfoton16.jpg

So anyways movin along here, I got some time to keep posting. My progress is further but i'm waiting for a gasket plus a couple of other parts so i will post a bit at a time. The first couple of pictures shows the the tractor split. with the hoist I can slightly adjust as I wiggle apart. the next pics show the mess that was occurring. You can see the rust that was forming:yuck: so this needs to be cleaned up as best as I can. ****** need a dedicated shop!! The last pic is showing the oil leaking in behind the clutch.

/ Foton 254 split
I forgot to mention before the split that on the other side the throttle cables for the fuel pump needs to be disconnected as well as some other connectors. Its pretty easy when you can see where you need to split and what needs to be disconnected. Next comes the clutch removal.

Attachments

• foton25.jpg
    foton25.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 286
   / Foton 254 split #9  
With the picture you provided of the tranny/PTO input shafts, I'm wondering if my problem where the PTO will not fully disengage might be due to the shaft being rusted and dragging inside the main shaft? Does your PTO shaft spins freely?

/ Foton 254 split #10  
This is great I really appreciate that your documenting this. With the picture you provided of the tranny/PTO input shafts, I'm wondering if my problem where the PTO will not fully disengage might be due to the shaft being rusted and dragging inside the main shaft? Does your PTO shaft spins freely?