More Homier Farm Pro Questions.

/ More Homier Farm Pro Questions. #1  

cds

Understanding that Homier’s Farm Pro Tractors are Jinmas, I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer for me.

1. Are the Farm Pro Jinmas a lesser grade than those sold by others, say, Nortrac Jinmas? Assuming that both are assembled properly, are they of the same quality? I’ve heard mention of a letter grading system for tractor quality levels. If it exists, does it apply here?

2. I am interested in either the Farm Pro 2420 (20hp, 2-cyl, 2WD) of the Farm Pro 2425 (25hp, 3-cyl, 4WD) models. I assume that, as Jinmas, parts are readily available for both of these units, even through dealers other that Homier. Is this correct?

3. While I realize that the 2WD model is not suitable for a loader, does it have enough “umph” to handle common 3-point attachments such as a 5' finish mower, tiller, or chipper. This may be a silly question but what about a small backhoe…or would the ballast of a loader be required?

4. If I opt for the 4WD unit, can I easily add a loader in the future (such as a Koyker) or will a tractor, purchased without a loader, come without certain options (hydraulic connections, frame supports, etc.) that will make the addition of a loader (or backhoe) more difficult.

5. Lastly, I was told that turf tires are only available on the Farm Pro 2420. Does anyone know if turf tires are available “aftermarket” for the 2425? If so, any idea of approximate cost?

I will appreciate any input on these issues.

/ More Homier Farm Pro Questions. #2  
I can NOT speak to the specifics of the various JINMA tractors out there, but skipping down to your Question #3 I may offer some insight. A 2-wd tractor can easily handle the same implements that a 4-wd tractor can handle. Where you find the difference is in traction in adverse conditions, the general theory is that a 4wd tractor is offers equivalent tractor to a 2wd tractor that is 50% heavier (I don't know if that is true, but is seems reasonable).

As for the question about putting a backhoe on a 2wd, again yes you can but you will very likely need some front weight. The weight could be bumper mounted weights, front wheel weights or in the form of a FEL. But in any case, either a 2wd or a 4wd tractor can be used with a BH as long as you have counterweight.

Question #4 . . . you can add a FEL or anything else at any time in the future, but you will probably find that it is cheaper to add it when you buy the tractor. As for hydraulic pumps, etc, if you buy a basic tractor, then when you add the FEL you will very likely have to add some additional things to run that FEL, but those should all be available down the road.

Question #5 . . . you can pretty much get any kind of tire you want in pretty much any size, costs will vary as will quality, depending on what you buy and when you buy it. You may find that you have to replace the RIMS and the TIRES. You are definately better off getting what you want the first time.

/ More Homier Farm Pro Questions. #4  
I agree with Bob.

I've seen and test driven a few homier units. While it is true that fit / finish were not up tot he big three standards.. that basic chassie of the machine looked good.

I saw both with and without loaders. The units with loaders seemed to have simply cut lines and added hyd quick-disconenct type ends to everything to plum it together.. no hyd diverter block or power beyond like you might find stock on a domestic model. Deffinately the lower price way out.. but.. also still very functional.

As for a loader on a 2wd unit. Keep in mind that tractor in the 30's, 40's and 50's had loaders... Early ford N's had manual trip power up/gravity down loaders.. no power steering, and 2wd. The main issue was steering. If you intended a loader as only for light duty.. like a 'powered wheel barrow'.. like to muck stalls, etc.. I think a small 2wd with power steering would be at least acceptable.. if not basically satisfactory. Power steering I would think is the make or brake issue there. If you are planning on doing lots of work with the loader.. I think it would be prudent to go 4wd.
Don't let those agg tires scare you... I love ag tires... I drive all over my property, and only print in soft areas after a rain. Aggs are, in general more puncture proof.. and just plain out 'john wayne' tuff. Cost is a factor. i have turfs on my 1954 NAA ( big ones )... 1 rear 16.9x24 turf costs 2X+ what a standard 11.2-28 ag tire does. When I had to replace one.. the price nearly made me faint... 480 plus tax, tire fee.. etc, etc...

The 20hp, 2wd model is about as low on the economy scale as you get.. but then for the price homier is selling them for... you can get one in the same price range as an expensive riding lawnmower... They should run a 5' finish mower fine.. just keep in mind.. a finish mower is just that.. they are not meant to mow down 1' tall weeds.

Soundguy

/ More Homier Farm Pro Questions. #5  
While I can attest to much of what you have said. I own a JM284 with fel hoe and tiller and finish mower all imports bought with the tractor.

there is a general consensus that there are different quality controls over there. I was told by people over there that there are a b and c versions of the jinmas. some parts are not as good as others, but in most cases they only want the better grades of tractors comming to USA. this on the homiers I do not know for sure. I'm only told this by broken english transactions I made two plus years ago.

now for loder and 2 wheel drive, the china guys say no, becasue the 2 wheel drives didn't have power steering available. and the front end wheel hook up was not robust enough to handle the extra loader forces and attempting to turn them was nearly impossable with a load in the FEL.

now for FEL & hoe combos. I would get the HOE & FEL together as you have to have a special bracket set up for the hOE FEL together. one which has pin holes / mounting fork below the FEL mounting brackets. like mine has not to mention you have to have the PTO Spline shaft installed for use with the backhoe pump which does not come with the tractor normally.

Now for adding tires later. you have to maintain the gear drive ratio for ags vs turfs. you can't swap turfs and ags on a 4 wheel drive and still be able to use the 4 wheel drive. as the tire ratio is not the same. (I wanted R4's setup. sorry way not cost effective you may as well buy a big three then!) as I looked at prices for adding rims and tires states side and it was almost 2 grand more with all the goddies all said and done. not worth it on a tractor you only paid 4 Gs for.

now if I forgot anything please wright back. but all in all the jinmas have impressed me well enough to keep mine for as long as I can and then I'll buy a 2nd one! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Mark M /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ More Homier Farm Pro Questions. #6  
First I'll disclose that I am a Farm Pro dealer. I have also imported some Jinma direct from China and assembled them.
In an effort to give as unbiased answers as possible I submit the following:

1. Yes, the basic tractor is the same to the best of my knowledge. There are options that some dealers add to the tractor, upgraded hood, headlight, insturment panel, seat, etc( sometimes called an LE version or HD version) but the chassis is the same. Also because of Homiers volume buying, some of the most recent changes have not yet shown up on the Farm Pro tractors. To the best of my knowledge Nortrac and Farm Pro are configured the same. I have not seen a Nortrac, the cosmetics on the Farm Pro range from only fair to fairly good. They do not take the care in touching up shipping nicks and scratches as well as they could, but they do keep the price down and for most people price is the reasont to buy a Chinese tractor in the first place. It may be that Northern is better at this but I have not seen a nortrac in person. Some smaller dealers might be better or worse in cosmetic. IMO it is best to get one from an experienced dealer who works on them and will give the tractor a checkout before delivery. A lot of people make a big deal about assembly but that is not the issue. Assembly is bolting on the wheels and fenders, wiring up the insturments and installing the hood. The key is in knowing where the potential problems are in the part that is assembled in China.

2. Parts are available from multiple souces although warranty parts must come from the importing distributor/dealer. Farm Pro has over 150 dealers and service centers serving most of the US. Northern has several store locations also.

3. The Base 2WD Farm Pro (or Jinma if you find one) is well suited to brush hogging and gardening on a tight budget. It is not suitable for front end loader installation. Although some dealers (and the Homier road show) will sell a 2WD model with a loader but my advise on these smaller tractors is that you can spend a little more and get 4WD if you want a loader, it is money well spent.

You generally want a loader to help stabilize a backhoe and to help fill, clean up, etc. The Jinma Subframe backhoe requires the brackes for the loader for installation.

4. All Jinmas that I have seen have a quick connect fitting located in the pressure line that is used for adding the backhoe. You can add one later, it will likely cost a bit more to do so in the long run.

5. Turf tires are available for JM254 but Homier does no offer them on the Farm pro. I'm told we will have R-4s (industrial) tires soon we don't have pricing yet but it will likely be pricy as the tires/rims are sourced in the USA.

We import JINMA 20hp 4WD in both turf and ag tire configuration, we charge $400 extra for Turfs instead of AGs and 800 for an extra set of 4 mounted turf tires. (when purchased with a tractor).

I feel it is best to purchase from a local dealer if you have one nearby, regarless of the name on the tractor (and providing the price is competitive of course)

Hope this was of some help to you, let me know if you need to know something more.

Chip

/ More Homier Farm Pro Questions. #7  
It was my gut feeling that the basic chassie was the same. While there may be better or worse 'bolt-on' components.. I don't see the factory going to the trouble to have different casting moulds for different 'grades' of frames.. just way too much money on tooling.. whereas.. standard bolt on items could very well be sourced for other dealers offering 'b' and 'c' grade options.. etc.

I finally got to see a nortrac the other day.

Fit and finish was -nearly- as good as big three. Decals were on good.. About as good a 'dressing' as you can get for an economy tractor.

I also agree with the you and the other posters.. 2wd with no ps is not good for a loader.. 2wd w/ps and loader.. I've seen at a tool show.. again.. not ideal.. but.. etc.

Soundguy

/ More Homier Farm Pro Questions. #8  
As the other respondents have indicated, overall fit and finish - attention to detail - separates Homier units from "regular" jinmas. But nobody's mentioned the engine.

All reports indicate the engines are tested on the assembly line, the better performing ones given a higher horsepower rating. Take the Y385 engine; the lesser performers go into tractors with 25 horsepower decals, the better ones are called 28 hp. Exact same engine, but the ones with higher output go into tractors with bigger pricetags.

That said, note that Homier sells the bottom half.

//;greg//

/ More Homier Farm Pro Questions. #9  
I believe the engines are the same. the higher HP rating is achieved by a higher rpm limit. It is common for a Chinese engine model to be used over a spread of about 5HP. There is a screw that is wired and sealed with a lead seal that is the max rpm adjustment. adjusting this screw will raise your rpm, void your warranty and possibly put you in violation of epa regulations, but in the end it will yeild a higher HP.

In Jinmas case, the Y385 is used in 25 and 28HP
The Y380 with a smaller bore is used for 20 and 22HP
The 2 cyl TY290 is used in 18 and 20 HP.
There is a 22HP 2 cyl but it is not common in the states and I'm not absolutley sure, but I think it is a TY295.

I would put more value in dealer proximity and ability, it will be a lot more meaningful in the long run than 3 extra theoretical HP (and then only available at above the PTO rpm level).

If you are fortuneate enought to have two good dealers within service range, than I'd go for the best deal, regardless of the name on the hood.

/ More Homier Farm Pro Questions.
Thanks to all who replied with such insightful comments. I appreciate your input.

Mr. Uren, I wish I had a dealer as helpful as you in my area. I live in Eastern PA and have found two FarmPro/used car dealers that are about a 2-1/2 hour drive away. I know of Puma Machinery, a Jinma dealer, in NY. Does anyone know of other dealers of in my neck of the woods?