Advice on potential purchase (Nortrack 3500B)

/ Advice on potential purchase (Nortrack 3500B)
When the dozer is in fact in nuetral I cannot tow it.

The dozer will not move. I rigged it up to my JD1020 diesel tractor and pulled on her.

Absolutely nothing, not even an inch.

I have no way to move it, get it on a trailer, etc. And the current placement in the field I cant work on it either. And to be honest I don't want to work on it in the field. Especially if I have to tear it down "that far" to fix it.

Who wants a dozer????

/ Advice on potential purchase (Nortrack 3500B) #112  
The right final drive is locked up. It will have to be winched up onto a trailer and moved somewhere. The fate is unknown. Sorry to hear this.
It's none of my business what you were doing with it at the time of failure.

I figured it was something along those lines.

All I did was back it out of my barn. Made one left hand turn to get into the direction I wanted to travel, then that was it.

After that all I could do was turn right, and only the left track was moving/getting power.

That was it.

Should I call a mobile mechanic?

/ Advice on potential purchase (Nortrack 3500B) #114  
I figured it was something along those lines.
Yeah, this job is best done in a shop, but it's been done in the field before (when I was a lot younger).
Should I call a mobile mechanic? Not quite yet. Let's qualify a few things first.
This repair will require blocking the dozer, removing the blade and wishbone, and the right track, sprocket, and final drive. But before that is even started you should determine how deep you might have to go. First, I would drain the right final drive oil into a pan and inspect for metal particles. If particles are present this may be as far as you need to go. Second, I would remove the large hex plug from the bottom of the right steering clutch compartment - nothing should come out except maybe some rust dust. No oil at all. Third (if no metal particles from the final drive), drain the bevel gear compartment/transmission oil into a pan and inspect for metal particles

I just dont have the time and energy to complete such a task.

Does anyone want to buy this thing as is?

I have performed plenty of maintenance on it but I would just rather move on.

/ Advice on potential purchase (Nortrack 3500B) #116  
If you just want to move on, here's what I would do:

Find out how much it weighs. Call around to local scrap yards and see what they're paying per pound for scrap metal, they haul away. That will give you a bottom line price. I doubt you'd be able to sell it for significantly more that that if you sell it as-is, where-is, buyer transports and not running. You could stop right there. But if you'd rather it go to someone who will use it*, list it on Craigslist. Be completely honest in your listing: put in the description of what's wrong that you posted above. Put the listing price at what the scrap dealer says he'll pay you, and explain that in the listing. That way the buyer knows if he gets it home and decides he can't fix it he's only out the cost of getting it home.

One of three things will happen: 1. No interest in your ad. Hello, Mr. Scrapper!. 2. It sits for a while and then a serious buyer appears. That means you priced it just about right. 3. You get an overwhelming response. That means you priced it way too low, and if that happens, pull the ad, wait a little while, and re-list it for a higher price. Since there is no obligation on CraigsList to go through with a sale, it's a great tool for discovering what the market will bear.

I think that's about the best you can do.

*(there is some chance the scrapper will know someone willing to fix it or part it out, it won't necessarily go straight to the smelter).

/ Advice on potential purchase (Nortrack 3500B) #118  
Personally, I wouldn't give it away for scrap price (that's just me) because with some work it will be fully functional again, and parts are readily available. Plus, you have maintained it well and have been a responsible owner, unlike a lot of owners. Considering the cost of a new NorTrac (Yuchai) dozer ($20k), I would ask $4.5k as a starting point as-is-where is. This is the only dozer of it's size with these features for this price.
Nice ad by the way, but I think I would list it under Garden or General, since it really isn't considered heavy equipment. Machinery Trader also has listings for these dozers.

Here's a video of mine working. Use it if you like.
Pulling stump & backfill - YouTube

Thank you very much Bob.

I have taken your advice and have listed the dozer as is for 4500$. Many people have called.

After letting it rest for a couple of weekends now, I am really starting to get the urge to just start tearing into it and fixing the **** thing. But then I look at it in the pasture, with the rain about to show up here in Western WA, and my mindset changes lol.

I fix everything on my own. Because simply, I dont trust others, and usually, if not always, I have to go back and fix what others were supposed to "fix" for me.

Sigh....

/ Advice on potential purchase (Nortrack 3500B) #120  
If you can get a roll-back wrecker or wrecker trailer out there you should be able to winch it up and get it out of the pasture without dragging it or worse yet, working on it in the field. The weather is supposed to clear by this weekend so it would be a great time to do an extraction before the monsoon season starts.
I just bought a new Titan flail mower and I want to get it fitted to the dozer before the bad weather sets in too.