Advice on potential purchase (Nortrack 3500B)

/ Advice on potential purchase (Nortrack 3500B) #21  
First off. The machine (I know its a dozer, I know) is slow. It's not slow for a dozer. I usually use 2H @ 1600 r/m for most dozing. And rarely use RH unless backing over long flat distances. Reverse is literally useless unless I am pulling a stump out? I rarely use reverse for any pulling.

Secondly the bad....well not ideal. The crawler does not like to turn left as much as it does right. There is no question. The undercarriage is in great shape but I fear the left steering clutch is ****. Then again I didnt go through the clutch adjustment segment in the owners manual he provided me with so maybe that is the problem? Most likely an adjustment is necessary. Follow the procedure in the owner's manual.

Can you tell me what normal pedal operation should feel like? First 1/3 to 1/2 pedal will feel spongy because this is just collapsing the springs in the steering clutch. The remaining travel will firm up as this is applying the brake.

Also mine seem pretty hard to move. Not insane but definitely stiff. Is this normal? Should I just lube up the hinge points? ect? Not sure what you are referring to.

/ Advice on potential purchase (Nortrack 3500B)
The pedals are just hard to push.

Stiff.

I was just wondering if this is normal?

Bob, could you make your dozer turn with just your big toe? Ya know what I mean.

I really hope it is just a steering clutch adjustment and not it failing.

Man you are the best. Thank you for all the information!!!!!!

/ Advice on potential purchase (Nortrack 3500B) #23  
The pedals are just hard to push. Stiff.
Yes, they do not have power assist. And unfortunately there aren't any grease fittings on the bellcranks, and where the shaft for the left side control passes through the transmission, These just have to have copious quantities of penetrating and lubricating oil occasionally, but as log as the return springs bring the pedals back they're ok.
I was just wondering if this is normal? Yep. And don't ride the pedals.

Bob, could you make your dozer turn with just your big toe? Ha! No.

/ Advice on potential purchase (Nortrack 3500B) #24  
Remember that this isn't a Cat. Many niceties like grease fitting points, smooth hydraulics, etc. are reflected in the low price.

That is very well put and I am coming to realize what you mean.

That being said the machine, at least mine (knock on wood) it so far performing great. I am an idiot and was calling it slow without ever running the machine in "high"......yea I know. The backhoe is actually very strong and even being a three point attachment setup digs very well. I think some of the lines need attention and a fluid flush is in order.

I pulled the 1020D onto the trailer already just for fun. Fits nicely.

Napa could not source me an oil filter based off of the owners manual part #. I flushed the oil and refilled and will flush again when I get the new filter.

I think a new air filter is in order. Napa should have that...?

/ Advice on potential purchase (Nortrack 3500B) #26  
That is very well put and I am coming to realize what you mean.

That being said the machine, at least mine (knock on wood) it so far performing great. I am an idiot and was calling it slow without ever running the machine in "high"......yea I know.
I have to correct myself. I do most all dozing jobs in 2L because that puts the engine in the good HP and torque curves where you get the best efficiency.

The backhoe is actually very strong and even being a three point attachment setup digs very well. I think some of the lines need attention and a fluid flush is in order.
Replace the return line filter. If it's getting plugged that will affect performance if it doesn't have a by-pass.

Napa could not source me an oil filter based off of the owners manual part #. I flushed the oil and refilled and will flush again when I get the new filter.
Nobody can cross reference the Chinese filters directly because so many of them are different but have the same p/n. Like I said, you will have to determine if you have SAE or metric threads and then you can order online by size and description, or take your filter in. I think mine might be a Napa Gold 1215 but I'm not positive. I'll get back with that.

I think a new air filter is in order. Napa should have that...?
Nope. There are no domestic suppliers for an exact replacement, although there are some that will fit with a little modification. You will find that this is the only bulldozer on the entire planet that has the engine air intake in the direct path of the cooling fan. Perhaps an oversight or sheer stupidity. If you operate in very dusty conditions you will plug up that filter in a day, I've done it. I remote mounted a Donaldson air filter on mine.
IMAGE_062.jpgNew mount.JPG

Bob,

Maybe I am missing something or maybe my filter setup has been altered...

But I have a standard "round" air filter under the hood....

/ Advice on potential purchase (Nortrack 3500B) #28  
Bob,

Maybe I am missing something or maybe my filter setup has been altered...

But I have a standard "round" air filter under the hood....

Yes, that's the stock filter arrangement. It requires a round filter that has a closed metal top attached to it. This will have to be checked daily under extremely dusty conditions or where you are doing brush hogging and stirring up a lot of flax. Consider installing a furnace filter in front of your radiator, it's an idea that I got from the wheelie tractor guys and it works great - keeps the radiator from plugging to and overheating the engine. The high end tractors will have a pusher fan to counter this issue. Another item to consider is an air restriction indicator - a nicetie that tells you when your air filter needs changing.
Filter indicator.jpg

/ Advice on potential purchase (Nortrack 3500B) #29  

Last edited:
Ok got it!

I will first and foremost just replace the filter with something that can be easily modded to fit.

From there I will look into a true permanent solution as you have mentioned.

You are the man and a great resource.

Trust me, more q(s) to come.