Advice on potential purchase (Nortrack 3500B)

/ Advice on potential purchase (Nortrack 3500B)
Hey bob.

So I want to go about changing the fluids in the drive train for the dozer.

Seems like there are many fluids to replace and various different types to use. I have the manuals but would rather just ask you for direction, ect. to get a better understanding.

I referenced another thread you were part of...

How do you check the oil in the transmission on the bulldozer? CTOA

So Transmission fluid (fill hole location, drain hole location, type of fluid to use, dipstick location?) CAPACITY?

Final Drive fluid (fill hole location, drain hole location, type of fluid to use, dipstick location?) CAPACITY?

----------------

You asked certain questions in the thread above....my answers.

I don't have a shuttle shift system correct?

I don't have an accumulator correct?
------------------------------------
You stated, "80w-90 is fine for the transmission and bevel gear compartment. The final drives (one each side) should have 85w-140"......Is this correct for my 3500B Nortrac?

"Yes, those are the final drives if I understand you correctly. There is one on each side. There is a drain plug underneath the bull gear".....What/where is the bull gear?

Can I just follow what you stated here.....

"Yes, those are the final drives if I understand you correctly. There is one on each side. There is a drain plug underneath the bull gear. There is a tattletale plug about mid point up the back of the housing this is where you check the final drive oil level. The final drive oil is added by removing the larger plug above the tattletale plug. This is where the 85w-140 gear oil goes.

The transmission and bevel gear compartment (the Chinese call this the final drive, but it's not.) have a common sump and are filled through the transmission fill plug (dipstick) next to the seat this is where the 80w-90 gear oil goes. Check the level by resting the dipstick on top of the case cover, don't screw it in.

The bevel gear compartment and final drives are separated by the steering clutch/brake compartment which should have no oil in it at all. There are large plugs underneath the compartments for checking this. Don't leave the plugs out but check them periodically"

THANKS BOB!!!!

Also,

Can you explain this to me/where to look, what am I looking for?

"Maintenance

Do not forget to grease fitting on the front trunnion of the swing frame equalizer. To get to this fitting you will have to block dozer or drive it up on something like rail ties. Be sure to block blade."

/ Advice on potential purchase (Nortrack 3500B) #33  
Hey bob.

So I want to go about changing the fluids in the drive train for the dozer.
Transmission fluid - 80w90 gear oil. Fill hole location - Adjacent to the four speed shift lever. Drain hole location - There are two, one directly under the transmission and the other directly underneath the bevel gear compartment in the center. Dipstick location - Attached to fill plug. Do not screw the plug in to check oil level. Capacity - About 14 quarts if I remember correctly.

I don't have a shuttle shift system correct? I don't have an accumulator correct? If you don't have a shuttle clutch you won't have an accumulator.

You stated, "80w-90 is fine for the transmission and bevel gear compartment. The final drives (one each side) should have 85w-140"......Is this correct for my 3500B Nortrac? Yes.

"Yes, those are the final drives if I understand you correctly. There is one on each side. There is a drain plug underneath the bull gear".....What/where is the bull gear? Those are inside the round vertical housings just inboard of the tracks at the rear of the tractor.

Can I just follow what you stated here..... Yep.

"Yes, those are the final drives if I understand you correctly. There is one on each side. There is a drain plug underneath the bull gear. There is a tattletale plug about mid point up the back of the housing this is where you check the final drive oil level. The final drive oil is added by removing the larger plug above the tattletale plug. This is where the 85w-140 gear oil goes.

The transmission and bevel gear compartment (the Chinese call this the final drive, but it's not.) have a common sump and are filled through the transmission fill plug (dipstick) next to the seat this is where the 80w-90 gear oil goes. Check the level by resting the dipstick on top of the case cover, don't screw it in.

The bevel gear compartment and final drives are separated by the steering clutch/brake compartment which should have no oil in it at all. There are large plugs underneath the compartments for checking this. Don't leave the plugs out but check them periodically"

/ Advice on potential purchase (Nortrack 3500B) #34  
Also,

Can you explain this to me/where to look, what am I looking for?

"Maintenance

Do not forget to grease fitting on the front trunnion of the swing frame equalizer. To get to this fitting you will have to block dozer or drive it up on something like rail ties. Be sure to block blade."
Well, you don't really have to drive the dozer up a ramp. You can just raise and block the blade up so you can scoot under the front. The grease fitting is just about directly underneath the center of the radiator. There should also be one at the rear but there isn't. Check anyway.

Well, you don't really have to drive the dozer up a ramp. You can just raise and block the blade up so you can scoot under the front. The grease fitting is just about directly underneath the center of the radiator. There should also be one at the rear but there isn't. Check anyway.

Thank you Bob for all the information.

I was able to pick up the necessary fluids to change out the transmission and final drives during lunch yesterday.

I performed the final drive fluid change last night after getting the dozer up on two rail road ties after work.

The manual says each side only gets 2 quarts. Does this seem correct to you Bob? I didnt remove the "tattle tail plug" to check for proper oil level because I don't know what that is. When I pull the "tattle tail plug" should the oil level just be up to that hole?

As for the transmission fluid change, capacity in the manual is over 20 quarts and I didn't see a drain plug while I was under the dozer last night.....?

Hopefully I can get the transmission fluid changed after work today.

Disregard the capacity statement. The manual says 3 gallons. Sorry I can't read.....

I performed final drives, gearbox, engine oil, and filter change. I sourced the filter through napa. I beleive it was pn7143 but I will verify that.

So it seems I have a pretty decent hyd leak. Right side (when looking from the rear)

Also I may need some info on track adjustment. I'll verify but seems a little excess slack is present.

THANKS BOB

/ Advice on potential purchase (Nortrack 3500B) #37  
Disregard the capacity statement. The manual says 3 gallons. Sorry I can't read..... :laughing:

I performed final drives, gearbox, engine oil, and filter change. I sourced the filter through napa. I beleive it was pn7143 but I will verify that.

So it seems I have a pretty decent hyd leak. Right side (when looking from the rear).
Where is it coming from? Did you check all the hose connections? There is a 6mm O-ring in the tractor hose connections and (I think) a 14mm O-ring in the valve stack hoses.

Also I may need some info on track adjustment. I'll verify but seems a little excess slack is present.
There should be about 1" to 1-1/2" of slack between the top carrier roller and the idler.
I guess you figured out where the tattle-tale plug is, and the transmission/bevel gear case drain plugs are. :thumbsup:

Hey Bob,

Long time no bug you.

So here I am.

Finally getting to adjusting my steering clutches (left side specifically when looking from the rear).

So i have been reading up ect.

First question; does my 3500B have "pendulum pedals"?

The problem is this....

The dozer drives straight. The left and right brake both work. The dozer turns right but doesnt like to turn left. When I push the left steering clutch/brake pedal down the machine stops. If I try and let it out slowly i will get a strange/bad sound (vibrating with a combination of what sounds like clutch slipping/grinding)

I have not pulled the drain plug yet in the left steering clutch compartment. I really hope this is just a simply adjustment issue.

So if I am driving in a straight line and want to turn left I proceed to push down the left pedal. Nothing happens until the machine will simply come to a halt. If I try at this point to let the pedal out ever so slightly to get the machine to start turning left it will start to make the noise described above. Like burning clutch/slipping/disengagement problems....then just continue to drive straight.

Please advise and thanks!!!!

/ Advice on potential purchase (Nortrack 3500B) #40  
If your pedals hang from the sides of the dashboard, you have pendulum pedals. If the pedal arms go through the floorboards, you do not have pendulum pedals.
It sounds like your left clutch isn't releasing soon enough before the brake applies. I think an adjustment could fix that. At some point you're going to have to bite the bullet and check that drain plug. :laughing: