Advice on potential purchase (Nortrack 3500B)

/ Advice on potential purchase (Nortrack 3500B) #1  

PNW1020D

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 1020
Hey guys,

So I recently started a thread here on TBN about the tractor that has been on our small family farm since I was a kid that has now come under my responsibility. TBN has been such a great resource.

While the tractor performs many tasks for me and I am not against the economic efficiency of renting certain eq. when you need it, I just feel as if I need something that can "dig and push" and simply complement my JD 1020D around the farm.

So that being said, what do you all think of this ad and potential purchase?

Thanks in advance!!!!

DozerBackhoe attachment and trailer

/ Advice on potential purchase (Nortrack 3500B) #2  
Wow Bradco backhoe and trailer are worth a fair amount on their own. the low hours on the chinese dozer is a plus to.
The 6 way blade is a huge plus imo.

Looks like a deal to me.
Normally on a dozer I would say buy an older name brand, american model - but have had very good service from my chinese tractor.
It appears you would be paying under $4000 for the dozer after consideration of the other goodies.

Last edited:
   / Advice on potential purchase (Nortrack 3500B)
Thank you for the reply!

That is my thinking as well in terms of the market value for each item.

So is something fishy? I am getting this feeling of too good to be true....

I am going to look at it tomorrow so anything and all information would be great.

/ Advice on potential purchase (Nortrack 3500B) #4  
The dozer alone is worth $7k. I have 700+ hours on my '05 and no problems.
This sounds too good to be true. If you go to look at it, pull the plugs on the steering compartment drains and see what comes out. You should get nothing except for a little dust. Any service records for it?

Can you post a photo of where the plugs would be?

What else to look at?

The machine does have records, and the gentlemen seems very genuine.

More information please? Opinions on the trailer? Backhoe?

/ Advice on potential purchase (Nortrack 3500B) #6  
Can you post a photo of where the plugs would be?
They are large pot metal hex head plugs underneath approximately under the operator's seat, one on each side. You can get a couple of fingers in there. Sorry, can't get any pics until after Easter.

What else to look at?
Check fuel injection pump oil for cross contamination with fuel. Check transmission and final drive oil levels. Check for cracks in the wishbone. Check for hydraulic oil leaks all around. Check coolant level - anti freeze?. Check hydraulic rams for pitting. If you want to be real fussy, measure the length of five track shoe pins center to center and compare to new, and that will give you your track wear. I have rubber tracks so I don't have to worry about that. :)

The machine does have records, and the gentlemen seems very genuine.
Private party then. Sounds like a responsible owner.

More information please? Opinions on the trailer? Backhoe?
The trailer is like mine except mine is a 16'+4' hydraulic tilt. Good trailers. Bradco is a high end aftermarket manufacturer, but they also paint some of their equipment green, orange, blue, etc.
You can check out my machine and the mods I've done to it here:
Security Check Required

Wow thank you very much for such a detailed response. It is greatly appreciated.

Where did you source your rubber tracks? Cost for a used set on average? What was/is the difficulty level in terms of the switch from metal to rubber?

My mom is telling me I am crazy, but I truly think if this setup checks out......it'll be in my driveway this weekend......

Any more information, thoughts, opinions, are greatly appreciated!!!!

/ Advice on potential purchase (Nortrack 3500B) #8  
I ordered my machine new in '05 and specified the rubber tracks. You can purchase rubber tracks from many domestic sources, all you have to do is specify the width, length, and track pitch. You would be hard pressed to find a used set that would match, but I think they would be close to a Mitsubishi BD2G. Mitsubishi and Komatsu also built similar sized dozers but I don't believe they are still in production. There are quite a few domestic dealers that stock parts for the Yuchai dozers including Northern Tool.
It should be noted that there is a difference in swing (track) frames. The rubber tracked machines have six bottom carrier rollers, and the steel tracked machines have five bottom carrier rollers. Either machine may or may not have two top carrier rollers. The second top carrier roller is totally redundant on these machines.
These are great little machines and can do a lot of work, but don't overestimate them. They are not a Caterpillar and should be handled accordingly. There are no shop or "how-to" manuals available, but the owner's and parts manuals cover basic maintenance and adjustment procedures. You should have a good set of metric tools, a 10 ton port-a-power kit, come-a-long, a pair of 8' railroad ties (or equivalent) with tapered ends, and preferably a one ton gantry crane. Bulldozers, by their very nature, require more maintenance than farm tractors. Previous experience with tracked machines is highly desirable.

/ Advice on potential purchase (Nortrack 3500B) #9  
You will want to thoroughly check the operation of the steering clutches and brakes.

Ok so I went and look at this machine. Saw the condition, watched the backhoe operate as well as the dozer. The undercarriage was in good condition. Overall the machine operated and looked the part.

Now my concerns.

It seemed the gentlemen had to "double clutch" a few times to get the machine into gear. From going from R to F. Should I be taking this seriously?

The steering clutches on the other hand performed as they should. I watched him go 360 both directions in semi wet dirt I had just watched him push. Oil was a bit dirty but not low. Hydraulic fluid was clean and the pistons showed no signs of leaks or pitting.

The add says the machine has around 350 hours of use. Here is where I get worried. The hour meter doesn't work and is stuck at 180, hence the "around" term. So I am essentially taking his word for it.

The trailer was in good shape. Clean title. Electronic brakes.

Am I putting myself in a position to get ******?

Please advise.

Thanks everyone!!!!