Farm Pro 2420 Problem

/ Farm Pro 2420 Problem #21  
In post #4 I suggested that could be an issue with the EGR valve. Does your engine look like it has two temperature senders? The EGR valve however, does not control engine speed, but it can impair engine performance and increase fuel consumption if it's not functioning properly. These engines do not have aneroid valves.

/ Farm Pro 2420 Problem
In post #4 I suggested that could be an issue with the EGR valve. Does your engine look like it has two temperature senders? The EGR valve however, does not control engine speed, but it can impair engine performance and increase fuel consumption if it's not functioning properly. These engines do not have aneroid valves.

I don't think so. This is a 2003 model pretty basic. I'll check it this afternoon when I get off work. I'm going to try to make a video of the start up if I can.

/ Farm Pro 2420 Problem
It doesn't have 2 temperature senders. I made a video but can't figure out how to upload it.
Any suggestions on a cure for sticking fuel rack?

Last edited:
   / Farm Pro 2420 Problem #24  
It doesn't have 2 temperature senders. I made a video but can't figure out how to upload it.
Any suggestions on a cure for sticking fuel rack?
What I do with videos is simply upload them to YouTube and then copy and paste the link. Like this
EMD 16-71�G - YouTube

As far as the rack is concerned, short of taking the pump and governor to a diesel shop, you can try a drain and flush with a quality flushing oil, or a 50/50 mix of engine oil and diesel fuel. Run the engine at a fast idle (about 900 r/m) for five minutes, then drain and refill with engine oil (I assume you are using a 15W-40 engine oil that meets CH-4, CI-4, or CJ-4 specifications).
You can also try a diesel fuel additive like a sulfur substitute. The Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuel doesn't have the lubricating qualities of the old fuel. ULSD has 15 ppm sulfur, and LSD had 500 ppm sulfur. As you may have guessed, sulfur is the lubricator in diesel fuel. We used to get around 40,000 hours of service on a set of injectors, but since the mandated switch to ULSD we are only getting around 28,000 hours, and the MTBF has dropped significantly.

Last edited:
   / Farm Pro 2420 Problem
I went to start it this morning early and it was a little cool out side and it didn't want to start even with the glow plugs. I pulled the breather hose and put my heat gun in the end of the hose and the tractor started up and seem to take fuel quicker than normal so I thought glow plugs bad but when I pulled the glow plugs they heated right up. They do have power going to them in the heat position. I'm going to try to locate a compression tester and check the compression.

/ Farm Pro 2420 Problem
Bought a compression tester today the adapter for the glow plug hole went right in but the gauge would not hook up because of interference with the intake manifold. I did notice that the starter kicks out as soon as the tractor comes up on a compression stroke. I think this is complicating the starting. I suppose it needs a solenoid or a starter drive. May take it off and see if there are any contacts that can be cleaned in the solenoid. It seems it disengages prematurely if that makes sense.

Last edited:
   / Farm Pro 2420 Problem #27  
Bought a compression tester today the adapter for the glow plug hole went right in but the gauge would not hook up because of interference with the intake manifold. I did notice that the starter kicks out as soon as the tractor comes up on a compression stroke. I think this is complicating the starting. I suppose it needs a solenoid. May take it off and see if there are any contacts that can be cleaned in the solenoid.

What many people have done, with much success, is to add a relay in the solenoid starting circuit. Where the current flows from the key switch to the relay instead of the solenoid (you can feed the relay with a 12 gauge wire from the battery). They also do this with the glow plugs with much improvement. It saves passing the high current demand through the key switch. Interesting to note that the dozers come with a starting circuit relay to the solenoid. Yes, there are contacts and a copper washer in the solenoid that can be cleaned. Another thing you can do with the solenoid is to clean and lubricate the motor (slug) with graphite. Do not ever use grease here because it's very temperature sensitive in the cold, and it's literally a dust and dirt magnet.

/ Farm Pro 2420 Problem
What about the starter drive? Any way I can tell which one it is? I have a Rhino (Chinese Tractor parts dealer) near that has the parts. I just don't want to buy more than what I need.

/ Farm Pro 2420 Problem #29  
Have you checked the voltage that the ignition switch is getting to the Solenoid? Connect one lead of a voltmeter to the small terminal on the Solenoid and the other to Ground. Turn the ignition switch to the Start position and see what voltage is actually getting to the Solenoid.

/ Farm Pro 2420 Problem
Have you checked the voltage that the ignition switch is getting to the Solenoid? Connect one lead of a voltmeter to the small terminal on the Solenoid and the other to Ground. Turn the ignition switch to the Start position and see what voltage is actually getting to the Solenoid.

I'll check that tomorrow. I suppose I could use my remote starter switch to eliminate that as a possible cause.