UTF vs 80W90

/ UTF vs 80W90 #1  

R Barger

Silver Member
Tractor
YANMAR YM336D/W Loader JOHN DEERE 850/ W Loader 2WD&4WD Kubota RTV 900
An old topic but has anyone ever had any problems in replacing the 80w90 in the transmission with UTF? I have lots of UTF on hand and thought if nothing else it would be good to run it a while to flush the trans/rear out on the Farmpro 2420.

/ UTF vs 80W90 #2  
Do so at your own risk. UTF isn't formulated to replace 80w-90 gear oil. It does not have an AGMA rating.
Viscosity chart.jpg

/ UTF vs 80W90 #3  
Additionally UTF is not formulated to handle the pressures placed on the fluid between the gears etc and will prematurely break down leaving you without sufficient lubrication for those parts.

/ UTF vs 80W90 #4  
Additionally UTF is not formulated to handle the pressures placed on the fluid between the gears etc and will prematurely break down leaving you without sufficient lubrication for those parts.
How do you figure; there is certainly pressure between gears when it goes through a gear pump and gets pressurized to 2500PSI. There is also pressure when it runs between the gears of a manual transmission or the rear end.

Aaron Z

/ UTF vs 80W90 #5  
How do you figure; there is certainly pressure between gears when it goes through a gear pump and gets pressurized to 2500PSI. There is also pressure when it runs between the gears of a manual transmission or the rear end.

Aaron Z

There are highly educated and experienced people that make entire careers in the lubrication industry. You can second guess them if you want to, but I trust their knowledge. If the manufacturer specifies UTF then good, go ahead. If you have doubts and want real answers, consult a lubrication engineer.

/ UTF vs 80W90 #7  
There are highly educated and experienced people that make entire careers in the lubrication industry. You can second guess them if you want to, but I trust their knowledge. If the manufacturer specifies UTF then good, go ahead. If you have doubts and want real answers, consult a lubrication engineer.
How about the UTF blends that are API GL-4 rated?
From Texas Refinery's UTF page:
http://www.texasrefinery.com/assets/utf-red.pdf said:
UTF RED offers many important benefits,
including exceptional anti-wear protection. The slightly
tacky nature of the product helps it cling to gears
extremely well and absorb shock load produced by
variations in load and drive, engine torsional activity
or vibration, shifting, and wheel slip. UTF RED will
also reduce the impact caused by the meshing of
gears, particularly on start-up.
In fact, it has passed the CRC L-20 axle test
used to define the API GL-4 high torque requirement.
UTF RED showed no pitting in gear testing, while
the test allowed two to four inches of pitting length.
Axle test showed less than 5 micrometers wear with
UTF RED even though the test allowed up to 86
micrometers of wear.
And Mobil's Mobilfluid 424:
http://pds.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENCVLMOMobilfluid_424.aspx said:
Applications requiring API GL-4 or SAE 80W grade lubricants in all gear applications except hypoid gear designs

Costal:
http://nu-tierbrands.com/pdfs/331953.pdf said:
Gulf Universal Tractor Fluid provides outstanding wear protection for gears and hydraulic pumps, and meets API GL-4 performance requirements.

Shell-Rotella UTF:
http://s7d9.scene7.com/is/content/GenuinePartsCompany/1843128pdf said:
API Gear Performance: API GL-4

And Robert Heinlein is science fiction.
Are you saying that you cant learn lessons from sci-fi books? Its a excellent genre to explore human reactions to varying situations.

Aaron Z

/ UTF vs 80W90 #8  
How about the UTF blends that are API GL-4 rated?
From Texas Refinery's UTF page:

And Mobil's Mobilfluid 424:

Costal:

Shell-Rotella UTF:
Don't ask me I'm only an engineer, but I would say ask those manufacturers if their oils can be used in applications where only gear oils are specified.

/ UTF vs 80W90 #9  
What is gear oil doing in todays tractor transmission, I thought that went out in the 70s

/ UTF vs 80W90 #10  
What is gear oil doing in todays tractor transmission, I thought that went out in the 70s
Hahahaha! Not hardly. Caterpillar still uses gear oil, for one.