Jimna 284 Help (Great Tractor or Junk)

/ Jimna 284 Help (Great Tractor or Junk) #1  

don7231

I have an opportunity to buy a new Jinma 284, 4wd, fel, and 5' bush hog for $8800.00. Is this a good deal? I am a little scared about chinese tractors. Everyone is telling me I am making a big mistake. They told me it would be difficult to get parts and the resale value is horrible. I have also been told that these tractors will stay broke down continuously and it is very difficult to find someone to work on them. They are advising me to purchase an older JD, New Holland, or Kubota.

I need a tractor under $10,000.00 to bush hog 10 acres of rolling hills. I would also like to have a front end loader for various small projects on the 15 acres.

Should I purchase this Jinma 284 or am I making a mistake? Thanks for all of the information. As you can probably tell, I know very little about tractors.

don

/ Jimna 284 Help (Great Tractor or Junk) #2  
There are many parts sources for Jinma tractors available so don't let that scare you. If you don't mind turning a wrench now and then they are pretty decent tractors. Fit and finish isn't up to par with the big 3 but neither is the price.

Here is a free Chinese tractor site you could go to and post you question also and you will get honest feedback from the members with the pluses and minuses.

I own a Jinma 284.

Mark H

/ Jimna 284 Help (Great Tractor or Junk) #3  
Mark..........maybe include the link to the website for him /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Jimna 284 Help (Great Tractor or Junk) #5  
coming from a dealer, if you can get all that for $8800, ya' better jump on it. i sell 'em, but will be the first to tell you, they aint no deere or kubota, but that's why they are priced at half also. don't let parts scare you, most can be overnited or 3 days tops. re-sale?? never could figure out why anybody buys a tractor on the thoughts of re-sell???? if ya want to spend 20k, and get 12 of it back in a few years, that's still a loss of money. if ya spend 8k, and get 4 or even 5 ina few years, that's losing too, but a whole lot less. sounds like for your needs, it's the way to go. used one for 3 or 4 years, and i'm not dis-appointed. have i had aggravating situations?? oh yeah!! but my kubota, and previous other makes created those as well. for the price, i'm sure it's the chinese loader, but that's a good deal for all the above

/ Jimna 284 Help (Great Tractor or Junk)
I also wanted to state that I am not a mechanic. I will need alot of help and support I can get when something goes wrong. Will most tractor dealers work on Jinmas or will they tell you to go somewhere else? The dealer I will be purchasing it from is about 60 miles from my land. There is also a farm pro dealer about 30 miles away. Can a farm pro dealer do warranty work on Jinmas?

Thanks for the info.

Don

/ Jimna 284 Help (Great Tractor or Junk) #7  
Don, you are making a mistake in my opinion. The things people are saying are true. If you do find the parts, which isnt as common as another company, they will most likely be expensive too. Im not aware of a chinese tractor mechanic. Resale will be very very low also. Buy a Kubota.

/ Jimna 284 Help (Great Tractor or Junk) #8  
Don

I will say that for the right person a chinese tractor is a good buy, but I'm not sure you are the right person for one. First, you are apparently new. If I read that correctly, then let me tell you that I would strongly advise you to find a used tractor with a hydrostatic transmission, you may be looking at a 5 to 10 year old tractor, but even at that, it will have all the features the new Jinma has, plus it will not be a gear tractor. Why am I biased against gear machines? Simply because you are new and HST transmissions are faster to learn on, safer to use, and very reliable. For mowing or for loader work you can get more work done in less time with a hydro trans. And it is safter too. Just try to convince yourself that you can look back over your shoulder, clutch & shift into reverse, while manipulating the bucket controls and avoiding the mailbox you are about to back over. It is a heck of a lot easier and safer to do that while simply depressing a pedal that makes you go backwards.

What brand should you buy if you are looking for a used tractor. To be honest I have no preference. Kubota is good, New Holland is good, Deere is good. The Deere will likely cost more becuase of the name. But IF you can find any of these 3 brands for sale used in your price range, just buy it. Parts and dealer support will be there too.

As for a Jinma being repaired by a Farm Pro dealer . . . yes they can, but only if they are willing to do it. I don't think you will find many of the other brand dealers who will be too willing to work on a Jinma, most would likely use the repair as an example of why people shouldn't buy one in the first place. I think anyone mechanically inclined would find a Jinma as a good basic bargain tractor.

/ Jimna 284 Help (Great Tractor or Junk) #9  
Don ,you arn't making a mistake in my opinion.there are so many tractors in usa.and jinma tractor's quantity is increasing every year .hundreds of dealers are distributing the tractor .there are many parts sources for Jinma tractors available .You can get the parts easily

/ Jimna 284 Help (Great Tractor or Junk) #10  
Don
I'd make sure the dealer will support you after the sale. Check and see if he has parts in stock. Not sure where your from but there are a few good dealers around like Northern, Artrac, Emerybuilt, Coastal Tractor,just to name a few that will make owning a Jinma a good experience. Talk to guys that own and use these tractors. They are not JUNK like some guys say. Go to the Chinese tractor forums and ask questions these guys know Chinese tractors and will help. If this is your first tractor you will find that like any machine you will have issues. Tractors are subject to shock loads that loosen bolts and sometimes break parts no matter what brand tractor. I've owned several and they all break. Parts for the Jinma's are easy to find as of now and have been at least the past 2 or 3 years. They also are much cheaper. Check out /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Jinma Parts