3-Point Hitch Foton 3 pt hitch wont lower

/ Foton 3 pt hitch wont lower #1  

andre12a

Tractor
Foton 254
Hi

I have a Foton D254 with 250 hrs. The 3pt hitch wont lower all the way. I have readjusted the control valve under the seat and it has no impact on it. I have tried placing extra weight on the arms but it still only lowers about a third of what it should. It always stops at the same point no matter what I do. That seems to be an important point.

Prior to this happening I did hear a loud clunk when I was driving without load. I stopped and checked underneath but couldn't find anything. This may not be related but just thought I would mention it.

The other recent problem is that there have been a few leaks in the system and it is possible air may have been introduced into a line in the process of repairing these leaks.

Any suggestions.

Cheers.

Peter

/ Foton 3 pt hitch wont lower #2  
Peter, I do not have your model but I have a larger 404. The valve under the seat should not contribute to your arms not lowering. Can you take a pic of what position your upper control arms are in? Also mine will not go down one inch by themselves.. I have to put some weight on them I usually just stand on them and ride them down.

/ Foton 3 pt hitch wont lower
Sorry Rick. I missed your post. Found it today as I am searching for answers to a different issue. The problem with the arms not lowering has been sorted. Interestingly. I put the ripper on the linkage to lift a pipe out of the ground. As the arms would only go down half way I had to wind the adjustments down as much as possible. After i lifted the pipe the arms worked fine. Months later while doing a service and changing the hydraulics fluid a piece of foam rubber came out of the sump. Obviously, it had not been removed from the end of one of the lines when it was assembled. On my tractor that tap under the seat controls the amount of fluid that flows through the rams for the hydraulics and will make it easier to drop the arms. My problem now is poor starting. Cranks okay, but takes a while to fire up and struggles to hold an idle. I suspect either fuel filter or glow plugs. Any experience with that issue.

/ Foton 3 pt hitch wont lower #4  
Sorry Rick. I missed your post. Found it today as I am searching for answers to a different issue. The problem with the arms not lowering has been sorted. Interestingly. I put the ripper on the linkage to lift a pipe out of the ground. As the arms would only go down half way I had to wind the adjustments down as much as possible. After i lifted the pipe the arms worked fine. Months later while doing a service and changing the hydraulics fluid a piece of foam rubber came out of the sump. Obviously, it had not been removed from the end of one of the lines when it was assembled. On my tractor that tap under the seat controls the amount of fluid that flows through the rams for the hydraulics and will make it easier to drop the arms. My problem now is poor starting. Cranks okay, but takes a while to fire up and struggles to hold an idle. I suspect either fuel filter or glow plugs. Any experience with that issue.

Good to hear you got it sorted. I haven't had any issue with starting other than the battery dying. I treat all of my diesel though, and I replace fuel filters and empty the crap out of the site every other year or so.

/ Foton 3 pt hitch wont lower #5  

What does the exhaust look like when it's struggling? Is it getting fuel that isn't burning (smoky exhaust) or is it fuel starved (clear exhaust)? Fuel starved I'd start with the fuel filter. Then trace the path from the tank to the injectors and figure out where it's being cut.

A diesel only needs three things to run: fuel, air, and compression. If it's getting fuel and not running, it's either not getting air or compression. A lack of air could be caused by a clogged air filter or something stuck in the intake (like a mouse nest). A compression test will tell you if you're lacking compression.

Glow plugs are only a factor for the first few seconds of operation, once the cylinders have fired a few times there should be enough heat to keep them firing. If the engine is too cold there is a distinctive behavior, the smoke is very thick and white and smells like diesel. All of the fuel is passing through unburned and dumped into the exhaust. A passerby would be forgiven for thinking your barn was on fire when that's happening, it's that much smoke. It clears out the mice that built that nest in your air filter though.

/ Foton 3 pt hitch wont lower #6  
A passerby would be forgiven for thinking your barn was on fire when that's happening, it's that much smoke. It clears out the mice that built that nest in your air filter though.
:) :) :)

Great questions though...