Oil & Fuel Farm Pro 2420 - Help!

/ Farm Pro 2420 - Help! #1  

mikeridge

Tractor
Farm Pro 2420
Greetings,

I recently purchased a property (6 acres) and in the barn was a Farm Pro 2420 (TY290) tractor, diesel with 189 hours. The property seller said that it hasn't ran in almost 4 years since her husband past away. In addition, according to her, when it ran last there was an oil leak but didn't effect it. Consequently, my neighbor told me that it hasn't ran because it needed a part and it wasn't available.

I don't know anything about diesel engines but am somewhat handy. Sfter talking with some local mechanics and shops, I have been told to put new fuel in and hook up battery cables from my truck and see if it starts. Others have told me to post it on craigslist for $2500 and get rid of it.

I'd like to have a tractor on my property since I need to brush hog 3+ acres as well as other things but I don't know where to start. Can anyone try to point in the right direction?

Thanks,

~Mike

/ Farm Pro 2420 - Help! #2  
Mike,
I would not try to start it until the fluid levels have been checked!
Steps that I recommend:
1. Get a user manual for the tractor. (As an interim - check the Internet tractor sites to see if there is a posting where someone has spelled out the fluid requirements for that tractor)
2. Check the fluid levels.

/ Farm Pro 2420 - Help! #3  
In addition to erj's comments, I would see if it could be turned over by hand first since it has been sitting for so long. This can be accomplished with a socket and breaker bar on the front of the crankshaft. Good luck.

/ Farm Pro 2420 - Help! #4  
Don't listen to nay-sayers. LOTS of info on these stout little tractors. If you're handy like you say, and it hasn't been abused or neglected, you will get many hours out of it. Start with Tommy at Tommy@affordabletractorsalesco.com

/ Farm Pro 2420 - Help! #5  
I would check the fluids, make sure it can be turned over by hand, and check the compression before trying to start it. If a cylinder doesn't have compression something is amiss and you don't want to make it worse. If you have compression, oil and coolant it should run.

It's very common for these tractors to blow a head gasket, which leads to internal engine damage if it's left unrepaired. The other thing to look out for is that in the early days a lot of these were sold factory direct to consumers. People didn't realize they were shipped from the factory with shipping fluids in the engine and gearboxes, which needed to be changed before they were run. If you didn't change all the fluids it wouldn't be long before you had problems.

On the other hand, they are solidly built and the parts are quite available online. They are pretty easy to work on and don't require a lot of exotic tools. The head gasket itself is not a hard repair. Get the engine running, and then change all the fluids and you should be fine. There's a lot of expertise here to help you get it running.

Last edited:
   / Farm Pro 2420 - Help! #6  
On a diesel, turning it over by hand will = the compression check. ;)

Look for water in the oil, oil in the water.

if neither, and it can be turned over by hand.. then I wouldn't be afraid to try to start it.

/ Farm Pro 2420 - Help! #7