Worktrac 284 (Y385 Engine)

/ Worktrac 284 (Y385 Engine) #1  

gwrlee

Tractor
Jinma
Was told by a repair shop that I would need a complete rebuild on this engine. This was told to me before I even took the tractor to him. Just after hearing what it was doing he tells me it will take a complete rebuild. Getting Oil streaming out of the crankcase breather (Respirator). No water or any other material just a lot of blow by and oil. I know this is a lot to ask but does anyone have the steps on conducting this rebuild? I'm mechanical inclined but never conducted any diesel work. Not sure if I can handle this type of repairs. Just looking for what this involves if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

/ Worktrac 284 (Y385 Engine) #2  
Unfortunately, this is one of those situations that you can't really tell what the engine needs until it's disassembled. Blow-by can be caused by several different issues, or a combination thereof. How many hours are on the engine? What year is the tractor? Has it had regular maintenance?

/ Worktrac 284 (Y385 Engine)
1999 Model with 330 hours on it. I'm second owner and previous owner did regular maintenance. He just hardly used the tractor. I think I could handle the tear down just not sure what al it in tells. Reason I was asking for anyone with knowledge of the process.

/ Worktrac 284 (Y385 Engine) #4  
It has been some years sense my Jinma with the YangDong 3 cylinder but the only engine problem was a head gasket. It took a lot of cranking to get it started and when it did start it blew black speckles over everything from the exhaust and the intake. Was a simple job to replace it and after that was easy to start and a real power house. As I tore it down I tested my glow plugs and they did not work anymore so I put them in also. I would suspect your shop did not want to work on it , they came and went fast in my area being sold under many names. The fellow in Texas, Tommy was the most over the phone honest and knowledgeable person for help and parts. Home of compact Jinma, Foton, and Koyker Tractors and Parts, Wood Chippers, Backhoes - Affordable Tractor Sales Company

/ Worktrac 284 (Y385 Engine) #5  
With only 330 hours on it over a sixteen year period, I'd be willing to bet that the piston rings haven't seated and the liners are glazed. I would run a compression or leak-down test. If that is the case then you're only looking at pulling the head and oil sump, and a set of rings and gaskets - hone the liners to get the cross hatch back. You would definitely want to qualify the liners, pistons, and crankshaft bearings while you're in there. I don't know how integral your oil sump is so you may have to split the tractor. Like Rocky J said, give Tommy a call.

Thanks so much for the replies. Any idea how I could get a repair manual for this tractor in case I decide to try this repair myself?

/ Worktrac 284 (Y385 Engine) #7  
Thanks so much for the replies. Any idea how I could get a repair manual for this tractor in case I decide to try this repair myself?
I think they are the same as the Jinma or other similar tractor. As far as I know there are no shop manuals available, but there are owner's and parts manuals which can be very helpful. They should be available from Tommy, Circle-G Tractor, Northern tool, and other dealers.

/ Worktrac 284 (Y385 Engine) #9  
Good to hear. Glad you are satisfied.

/ Worktrac 284 (Y385 Engine) #10  
Was told by a repair shop that I would need a complete rebuild on this engine. This was told to me before I even took the tractor to him. Just after hearing what it was doing he tells me it will take a complete rebuild. Getting Oil streaming out of the crankcase breather (Respirator). No water or any other material just a lot of blow by and oil. I know this is a lot to ask but does anyone have the steps on conducting this rebuild? I'm mechanical inclined but never conducted any diesel work. Not sure if I can handle this type of repairs. Just looking for what this involves if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Just before you started to pull everything apart.......Whats the oil level like in the sump. If the hydraulic pump seal is leaking it will overfill the sump and give you many of the symptoms you have.........just a thought.

Last edited: