Finding point of failure - diverter valve or FEL control valve

/ Finding point of failure - diverter valve or FEL control valve #1  

ljplum12

Bronze Member
Tractor
None
I'm working my way through my issues. I've mostly got the leaky banjos under control, got my clutch adjusted, now I just need to figure out why my FEL isn't working.

It's a Koyker 140. It won't move in any direction. When I first bought it, if we wiggled the steering wheel a bit, that seemed to allow the FEL to work enough that we could get it lifted long enough to load it in the trailer.

A buddy was helping me with it last night, and either wasn't thinking or wasn't expecting it, and pulled off the output side when it was still running and had the lever in the float position and the hydraulics to extend. I realize this is BAD, but thought it might provide some detail into what's working and what isn't (we bypassed the FEL and checked PS and 3pt and everything still seemed to be ok, so I don't think we toasted the hydraulic motor).

Based on my research it's either the diverter valve or the spool valve on the FEL. Is there a good way to narrow this down? If it is the FEL valve, is it possible to rebuild, or will I need to buy a new one?

/ Finding point of failure - diverter valve or FEL control valve #2  
Does not sound like it's plumbed correctly to me ?? Coming off the back of the pump it should go directly into the loader valve, out of the loader valve to the diverter valve.If yours it plumbed like this the loader should would because it is getting hydraulic pressure first and its a normally open valve.The loader valve would need to be replaced if that's what it is, without a gauge in line you do not know where the pressure relief is set at on the valve, so if it's set too low it will bypass and not allow the loader to work

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales
:Your Jinma Parts Superstore"
Home of compact Jinma, Foton, and Koyker Tractors and Parts, Wood Chippers, Backhoes - Affordable Tractor Sales Company

/ Finding point of failure - diverter valve or FEL control valve
I think it's plumbed correctly, I probably just described it poorly. Line comes straight off the pump and goes into the bottom of the FEL valve. Line comes out of FEL valve and goes to diverter. Does that sound right?

What you're saying though, is that it doesn't matter whats happening upstream from the FEL (with the diverter), it should work as long as there is flow?

Is there a procedure for adjusting the relieve on the loader valve?

Ok, so I've got some more info on what's going on.

Through talking with Tommy in an e-mail, I've doubled up on the hydraulic washers on the bottom side of the two top banjo bolts on the diverter. Since then, I haven't been able to get much of anything working hydraulically. Tomorrow I'll try removing the second washer trying again.

I've got the FEL hooked back up. I tightened in the relief valve on the FEL pretty much as far as it would go, which didn't change anything. I hear a small difference when I use the FEL controls, I'm guessing from the pump(?) but nothing is happening with the bucket.

The three-point stopped working as well.

I get the most reaction out of the bucket if I turn the steering wheel aaalll the way one direction, to where the pump starts to whine, and then I actuate the FEL lever. The bucket will just start to go up, maybe an inch or two, then drop back down.

If I turn the steering wheel all the way, I can get the three-point to go up as well.

This is the case whether or not I have the FEL hooked up.

/ Finding point of failure - diverter valve or FEL control valve #5  
I think that before you go any further on this, you need to install a pressure gauge. Both for your safety and for 'fault analysis!

I'm planning to borrow one from a buddy. Hopefully it'll show me something.

/ Finding point of failure - diverter valve or FEL control valve #7  
What is the diverter valve diverting? What kind of tractor is this? Are calling the hyd block the diverter valve? How many hoses or on the fel valve?

It's a Jinma 254. The way I understand it is that it's a priority valve to provide pressure to either the 3pt or power steering. I'm attaching the hydraulic routing diagram I've found. The FEL has 6 hoses. One from the pump, one that feeds into the diverter, and 4 for the cylinders.

284hydro.jpg

/ Finding point of failure - diverter valve or FEL control valve #9  
How are you switching the diverter valve? Some diverter valves have a slot that you turn with a flat screwdrive tip. If you could show a picture of the diverter valve it might help.

There is no switching the diverter as far as I know, it happens automagically.

20161231_174315.jpg