clutch to pto free play adjustment?

/ clutch to pto free play adjustment? #1  

SPIKER

Elite Member
Tractor
Jinma 284
Hi All:
well lets start off with basics.

Jinma 284 with 150 hrs. I've got my FEL on full time and use it as a bull dozer much of the use it has had so clutch abuse is pretty high.

Recently I been roto-tillering a lot! unbroken ground and running in LL2~3 yesterady I Mowed wih the 5' finish mower and all went well cept for a flat tire on the mower...

anyhow the problem is that the Clutch for the PTO does not engauge prior to the MAIN drive clutch. both main & pto clutchs engauge nearly at the top of the clutch pedal travel. It was better before all the tillering I did the last month. It was pretty much WHERE it should be PTO engauged at 1/2 way up and then clutch engauged the last 2" of travel. as it is now I'm getting both on in the last 1" of travel. I printed a copy of the CLUTCH adjustment procedures from the NYCTO post on main drive clutch adjustment. (note had to HIGHLIGHT the page to read it. as the Orange on the grey was not showing up.)

anyhow is there a way to make the free play between the PTO and the MAIN clutch better? or will adjusting the main fix the problem>?

thanks in advantce. If I end up tearing into mine I'll take some good detailed pictures. first off I'll have ot pull the FEL (has not been done since I assembled it 2 yrs ago...

Mark M

clutch adjustment page I spoke about

http://nortrac.proboards26.com/index.cgi?board=Transmission&action=display&num=1078877768

/ clutch to pto free play adjustment? #2  
Hi Mark,
Its early, and my head may not be working just right, but as I think this through, I'm thinking a worn main disk would require more pedal travel to disengage the PTO.

Of course the first adjustment is to be sure you have "free play" in the pedal. that one is external. The other external ajustment is the stop screw which the pedal should hit just after the PTO clutch disengages.

The PTO pressure plate is pulled off the the PTO disk when the main pressure plate has already pulled back from the main disk and engages three adjustment nuts that pull the PTO plate. (all of these travels and movements are very slight, perhaps less than 1/16" as I recall)

increasing the "gap" between main and PTO engagement is accomplised by backing those three adjustment nuts (with jam nuts) out EVENLY. If you get it uneven, you will likely get some clutch chatter as the PTO engages/disengages.

I'm a little confused, because in my mind (pre coffee), the gap between these PTO adjustment bolts and the main pressure plate should increase as a result of the main disk getting thinner. But if the PTO disk is worn more than the main disk, it should move the two release points closer together.

I'm going to go get a cup of coffee. Let us know what you see when you pull a loader bracket off.

/ clutch to pto free play adjustment?
bluechip:

thanks for the responce.

I may try and take a look see this weekend if it dries out enough to stand on the ground... rianing BAD right now.

MarkM /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hey all;

just an update: I pulled the FEL left side support bracket and did some playing around with the clutch adjustments bolts and such.

I figurred it out pretty easy to do. the info posted on NYCTO site was not a lot of help so I just did it using my own thoughts.

I will get some photos tomarrow and post them on my page with dirrections as to what I did and forward it all over to JohnS for him to post on his site as it is probably one of the best places for everyone to look.

Mark M /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

John: Looks GOOD: I see I missspelled a lot of info on there! lol, forsome reason I never get a chance to re-read stuff and when I do I usually read it as I MEANT to spell it and don't notice the errors...

anyhow thanks for posting it on you're page.

Mark M /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif