Question about rear hydraulic quick connects on JM284

/ Question about rear hydraulic quick connects on JM284 #1  

chris85

Bronze Member
Tractor
JM 284
I have two hydraulic quick connects on the rear of my tractor see attached images.

I want to run a 3 point log splitter but I can't find any operation instructions.

I have read that the flow of hydraulic fluid is controlled by the knob in front of the seat.

Can anyone tell me the proper way to use these connections.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20170418_155306_001.jpg
    20170418_155306_001.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 120
  • 20170418_155319.jpg
    20170418_155319.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 137
   / Question about rear hydraulic quick connects on JM284 #2  
If it's like mine, it uses the control valve for the 3 point hitch. Lifting the lever sends flow to the remote, pushing it down again turns it off. The one on the right is the supply, the left is the return. Under the seat is a knob that switched the flow between the 3 point hitch and the remote.

/ Question about rear hydraulic quick connects on JM284
Thank you!

is the knob in the photo the one that controls the flow?

/ Question about rear hydraulic quick connects on JM284 #4  
I also have wonder how they work. Did you get it to work?

/ Question about rear hydraulic quick connects on JM284 #5  
Thank you!

is the knob in the photo the one that controls the flow?

Yes. When you lift the 3PH control lever, fluid goes to both the right hand port at the back, and the 3PH lift cylinder via that knob. that knob controls flow into and out of the 3PH hydraulic cylinder. It has a little floppy point on it that works like a check valve. Set properly it allows ful flow into the 3PH to lift at full speed, and restricts fluid exiting the 3PH so a very heavy impliment dosn't slam to the ground. Set correctly my heavy brushhog goes up and down at the same speed at PTO RPM.

Screw it all the way in tight and it will keep fluid from flowing into the 3PH cylinder so all the flow will go to that rear port. The drawback of course is you cannot use the 3PH while that knob is screwed all the way in.

Another issue you might encounter with that knob is that if you get it screwed in a little too far, but not all the way tight, you will be able to lift an impliment, but the check-valve tip will keep you from lowering the impliment. And since the weight of the impliment is hanging on the cylinder making hydraulic pressure behind the piston, that pressure will lock that knob in place untill you get the weight off of it. I have stuck my brushhog in the air a time or two and that knob wouldn't budge untill I backed the brushhog up onto something to take the weight off the hitch, then the knob unscrews with my fingers like it always has...

/ Question about rear hydraulic quick connects on JM284 #6  
Chris did you get your log splitter to work? I found one yesterday that goes on the 3pt.