Just bought a chinese tractor. Did I buy a boat anchor?

/ Just bought a chinese tractor. Did I buy a boat anchor?
There is more to a boat anchor than one might think.
Yes, the round knob is the manual lift pump. It is used for manually priming the primary fuel system. It utilizes the same spring loaded check valves as the lift pump. It is also sold separately from the fuel injection pump/governor assembly. No individual repair parts are available for either assembly. This is a cutaway view of your style pump assembly.
View attachment 517372

If you could furnish pictures of your fuel and oil filters along with part numbers that would help a lot. Also, you can take them to any GOOD auto parts store and they can match the dimensions as well as the thread pitch and size. There are also online cross reference tools by filter manufacturers.
Good luck, and have fun with your boat anchor.

Thanks for confirming this. I can't find any numbers on the filters but hopefully will find something stamped on them. One good thing I have going is the ability to machine parts if needed (in my garage I have a Bridgeport BOSS CNC series 1 mill, Bridgeport Series 1 manual mill, Van norman 1RQ mill, Clausing 14 x 48 lathe, and a Hwacheon 17 x 40 gap bed lathe)

/ Just bought a chinese tractor. Did I buy a boat anchor? #12  
One good thing I have going is the ability to machine parts if needed (in my garage I have a Bridgeport BOSS CNC series 1 mill, Bridgeport Series 1 manual mill, Van norman 1RQ mill, Clausing 14 x 48 lathe, and a Hwacheon 17 x 40 gap bed lathe)

Heck, with that sweet suite of machines, why not just build a tractor from scratch LOL

/ Just bought a chinese tractor. Did I buy a boat anchor? #13  
Speaking in general terms, Chinese tractor companies are more assemblers than manufacturers. So the engine was probably made by another company. Your first order of business is to find out the make and model of the engine. The same is generally true of major components like the transmission.

There are literally millions of Chinese tractors in use in China, it's a country five times the size of the US. On Ali Express you can order parts directly from China. I haven't done it personally, but I do see that every part I have looked up for my Jinma is available there, usually for about a third of what it costs in the US (although shipping is typically as much as the part).

Chinese diesels tend to be tough, if they have compression and fuel they will run. A rough check is to look at the exhaust as you turn it over. If there is no exhaust at all you don't have vacuum or compression. If there is no smoke you don't have fuel.

/ Just bought a chinese tractor. Did I buy a boat anchor? #14  
Picked up a 1981 taishan 25 with disc harrow. Hasnt ran in quite a few years, turns over, 3 pt lift seems to work, came with 4 total wheel weights, looks to be of good build quality. Fuel valve seems to be gummed up. I cant see any info on the oil and fuel filters so if anyone knows part numbers or where to get these I would greatly appreciate it. Tried getting a hold of Chip at artrac and havent been successful the past few days. Is there a operation/maintenance manual available from members here? A few pics below- what is the cap with spring on the injection pump?{take a guess at how much I paid for this ;-))

You need to join these folks...they are experts or at least have the same issues you may encounter...:)
Chinese Tractor Owners Association

/ Just bought a chinese tractor. Did I buy a boat anchor? #15  
But you have loosened the hand pump by turning the knob?
More specifically, for the newbie - turn counter-clockwise to release (it will spring up), press down and turn clockwise to lock.

/ Just bought a chinese tractor. Did I buy a boat anchor? #16  
One good thing I have going is the ability to machine parts if needed (in my garage I have a Bridgeport BOSS CNC series 1 mill, Bridgeport Series 1 manual mill, Van norman 1RQ mill, Clausing 14 x 48 lathe, and a Hwacheon 17 x 40 gap bed lathe)
Beautiful suite of machines. All well and good if you also have foundry skills to make castings or excellent steel fabrication skills to duplicate castings.

Beautiful suite of machines. All well and good if you also have foundry skills to make castings or excellent steel fabrication skills to duplicate castings.

Forgot to mention i have a full blacksmithing shop in my back lot. Propane forge, coal forge, 40kg self contained pneumatic powerhammer and a 2000lbs manual screw press twohammersforge

The priming pump piston was rusted in the cylinder so I pressed it out with an aluminum rod on Arbor press cleaned it all up and went back together just fine. Cleaned out the whole fuel system but the injection pump cranked it at Full Throttle but no squirts coming out of one of the two ports.

/ Just bought a chinese tractor. Did I buy a boat anchor? #19  
   / Just bought a chinese tractor. Did I buy a boat anchor? #20  
Well, knowing that parts would be extremely hard to obtain, I paid $150 but didn't know it came with a disc so I was pleasantly surprised

Local scrapyard is paying $120/ton for steel so you came out ahead of scrap price. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.