front boot

/ front boot #1  

slammer3364

Bronze Member
Tractor
Jinma 284
need to replace front boot on my jinma 284 looks like you take cotter pin out of bolt, take bolt off. that tie rod or steering should drop or tap out correct.slip boot on and replace

/ front boot #2  
It likely wont be quite that easy. Tie rod ends are taper locked in place and some can be a bit stubborn to get loose. Without having a "pickle fork" to pry it loose, sometime they will come loose by placing a sledge hammer on one side for back up and then sharply rapping the opposite side with a 4# shop hammer. This works about 90% of the time.

/ front boot #4  
Or in the case of the Jinma 284, if you retract the boot you will find that the tie-rod end is screwed onto the hydraulic cylinder rod. You can crack the locknut but leave it in place and unscrew the rod out of the rod end(it has a wrench flat) This is a good thing to check from time to time anyway as they can come loose. the first indicator is that you will not be able to turn as far to the right as to the left

As for a boot a rancho suspension silicone rubber shock boot is a perfect fit for the 284 steering cylinder. My original boot disentigrated/tore a year or two after I got the tractor(12 years ago) and I put on a red rancho boot and it has been there ever since...