Screen filter in Jinma 284 sediment bowl

/ Screen filter in Jinma 284 sediment bowl #1  

angelugs

Bronze Member
Tractor
Jinma 284
Tried to fire up my Jinma 284 this week to get ready for the snowy season but the old gal failed to start. She fired off once and ran smooth for a few seconds then started sputtering. Smoothed out again but a few seconds later sputtered again. Did this three or four times and each time she lost a few rpm(s) when trying to smooth out. Finally died and that was all she wrote. Turned over fine but wouldn't fire. I removed the sediment bowl and found a glob of what looked like old chewing gum laying in the bottom. After finding that I changed out the fuel filter, filled the new one with fresh diesel and tried to start her up. No go. Had the wife spray diesel fuel in the air intake while I cranked it but still wouldn't start. Thought she was going to go a couple of times but no. I loosened up the injector tubes and cranked her again but didn't see any fuel coming out of any of them. I'm sitting there scratching my head and thought I'd start at the sediment bowl and work my way through the system. Peeked up in the top of the sediment bowl and low and behold there's a screened filter up there. Didn't know that. Popped it out and found it almost completely clogged with what looked like the same stuff that was laying in the bottom of the bowl. Tried to clean it off but pretty well destroyed it in the process. From what I'm seeing this is not a part you can purchase by itself. So it looks like, if I can't find another less expensive fix, I'll be out about $30.00 plus shipping for a new sediment bowl assembly when all I need is the filter. I was thinking about purchasing a piece of very fine stainless steel mesh cloth and just replacing the torn screen. What do you think? The plastic ring is still good to go. Anybody out there found a way around this?

/ Screen filter in Jinma 284 sediment bowl #2  
You have just been initiated into the Diesel Bug Club. Many members. You will need to drain and clean the tank, flush the primary fuel lines thoroughly and install new fresh fuel treated with a biocide, with subsequent doses for at least one tank full. Also, you might have an in-tank screen that is attached to the sediment bowl assembly. Remove the sediment bowl assembly after you have drained the tank to check this. Most people remove that screen. Nothing wrong with your sediment bowl, it's doing it's job. It's important to keep the tank full of fresh fuel as much as possible. Good luck.

PS: No. Replace that torn screen with the exact replacement, that is unless you can find a 10 micron brass or stainless steel screen somewhere.