Jinma 254XL FEL Shuttle Shift Y385 Engine

/ Jinma 254XL FEL Shuttle Shift Y385 Engine #1  

mmprestine

Tractor
Jinma 254XL 4WD FEL Shuttle Shift Y385 engine
I just purchased a 2007 Jinma 254XL tractor, never owned a tractor so I am a total noob. I plan to use this thread as a general resource for my tractor and its projects.

Pictures of my tractor.

/ Jinma 254XL FEL Shuttle Shift Y385 Engine
Here are some manuals for the tractor and engine that I have found that could be useful to others.

Jinma Manuals

Here is some part data that I found for the tractor that could be useful to others.

Jinma 254 Part Data

I am not familiar with these diesel engines and I bought this tractor with the premise that there might need to be some engine work. I am a pretty good mechanic and it doesn’t bother me with the potential issues, even if I have to rebuild this engine. The prior owner said that he heard a knock noise and was the reason for selling it. I have not heard anything out of the ordinary and it sounds like a loud diesel. I do know that just prior to hearing this noise he replaced the injection pump, less than 10hrs ago, and had a hard time getting it timed in. The pump timing still might not be as it should. This doesn’t surprise me because without the manuals or specs needed to do so properly I dont know how they could have timed it. I think I will pull the pan and check the bearings and see what they look like just for cheap insurance. I have done research and it typically sounds like a fuel and injector problem that would cause this noise. Again I hear nothing strange.

Since I dont know the history of this tractor I plan to go over each area of maintenance with a fine tooth comb. I can only accept that prior owner did lube type maintenance and nothing further. I actually feel like taking the entire thing apart, so maybe I will just tear the thing down, worst case it only costs me a set of gaskets. Maybe I just have to much time on my hands. Winter is coming in Wisconsin though and that means time for long garage projects.

I am very excited about this thing and it sure seems like a decent tractor. The features are rich for the money.

/ Jinma 254XL FEL Shuttle Shift Y385 Engine #5  
Welcome,

I believe there are other owners (members) of that model on TBN and there is/are stickies at the beginning of the Chinese thread listing suppliers should you need them.

Congrats on your new tractor purchase :thumbsup:

/ Jinma 254XL FEL Shuttle Shift Y385 Engine #6  
Welcome! Your plan for winter maintenance sounds like a good one. Here's my $.02: Chances are that your front/rear differential fluids are original - you'll be able to tell pretty easily because the factory stuff turns to sludge after a few years. Good luck with it!

/ Jinma 254XL FEL Shuttle Shift Y385 Engine #7  
(quote) I think I will pull the pan and check the bearings and see what they look like just for cheap insurance.(end quote).. I would make sure which engine is actually fitted to the tractor. Some have a removable plate on the sump which makes inspection easy. On others you have to split the tractor to undo bolts that are in the clutch bell housing.

Thanks. I have the Y385 engine and it looks pretty straight forward to pull the plate. I will take pictures and post back. What would be the chances of an upper rod bearing being bad? Oil pressure is great @ 60psi.

Well I pulled it apart last night. Some interesting results that I believe are due to poor assembly or crap in the oil. It was a pain in the *** to get pictures in there and they dont really show what I think they look like. I have seen worse and those engines have run a very long time without service but I think I will do a bearing replacement. It looks like I will split the tractor so I can also do the mains as I cannot get to them to inspect them at this point.

What are your thought after looking at the pictures?

View attachment DSC_0210.jpgView attachment DSC_0212.jpgView attachment DSC_0211.jpg

first rod:

View attachment DSC_0193.jpgView attachment DSC_0194.jpgView attachment DSC_0195.jpgView attachment DSC_0196.jpgView attachment DSC_0191.jpgView attachment DSC_0192.jpgView attachment DSC_0190.jpg

second rod:

View attachment DSC_0202.jpgView attachment DSC_0201.jpgView attachment DSC_0200.jpgView attachment DSC_0199.jpgView attachment DSC_0198.jpgView attachment DSC_0197.jpg

third rod:

View attachment DSC_0207.jpgView attachment DSC_0208.jpgView attachment DSC_0209.jpgView attachment DSC_0203.jpgView attachment DSC_0204.jpgView attachment DSC_0205.jpgView attachment DSC_0206.jpg

Last edited:
I received my parts, gasket kits and bearing set, but have a question regarding the torque spec for the connecting rod bolts. It seem that the Y85 service manual states it to be 88ft-lbs but the bolt size indicates it should be around 47ft-lbs.

Any thoughts?