Jinma 254 PTO speed vs RPM

/ Jinma 254 PTO speed vs RPM #1  

mickstanz

Tractor
Jinma 254
Hey guys,
I'm going to order a slasher, I think the guys from the UZS call them something different?

It will want to run at 540RPM PTO speed. Does anyone know what engine RPM is needed to produce 540 at the PTO?

Thanks

/ Jinma 254 PTO speed vs RPM #2  
On my machine 1850 r/m gives 540 r/m at the PTO shaft. Your tachometer may have some kind of mark in that area.

/ Jinma 254 PTO speed vs RPM
Cheers, I figured it will be around 2000ish. No markings on the tacho, I thought there might have been as well

/ Jinma 254 PTO speed vs RPM #4  
Correction: More like 1,790 - 1,800 r/m. Just found the pics.

IMGA0060.JPG

IMGA0059.JPG

Cheers Bob, I asked my boss today and he said we have a guage here on the farm that I can use to measure it so I'll borrow that sometime before it arrives.

I was originally looking at a 4ft slasher but I ended up ordering a 4.2ft flail mower instead as it will be more suited to our needs. Just hoping the little 25hp Jinma will have enough power to run it!

/ Jinma 254 PTO speed vs RPM #6  
Hi
I've been using a Chinese 4ft flail mower on my Jinma 254 for a couple of years now and it works fine. I swapped to a flail mower from a slasher as it is much more maneuverable and a lot easier to use in tight areas. I use the normal 540 PTO setting in open country but swap to 1000 when in a tricky area where I want to go really slow to avoid hitting anything and it still seems to have enough power to drive it OK with no problems even at that higher gear ratio.
I was a bit dubious at first that the flail would survive the fairly rocky country where I live as even with the greatest care you can't help occasionally clipping a rock outcrop but it has survived quite well. I think I've replaced only 4 of the 18 ducks foot type blades so far and everything else is OK.

Cheers 254OZ, where abouts are you? I'm in the Shire of Kellerberrin just a couple hours east of Perth. Fairly rocky out our way as well. What brand flail mower do you have? Any experience taking out salt bush with it?

Also what's the reasoning behind switching to 1000rpm? Not better off just using a low gear to go slow and keep your engines revs high enough to output 540 on the PTO? I find 1-low on the Jinma is barely moving

Last edited:
   / Jinma 254 PTO speed vs RPM #9  
I'm in Mount Helena which is about an hour East of Perth. I'm only on 5 acres so the little 254 suits quite well for what I need to do.

It's one of those No Name Chinese flails but looks very similar to a Hayes product FLAIL MOWER HPHD13 - Hayes Products - Tractor Attachments and Implements

I guess when I said going really slow I should have said really really very slow, I'm talking scraping between trees with the bucket removed to give me a bit more of a tighter turning circle.

Here's a quick pic. It's sitting up off the ground on it's support leg here as I was about to take it off.
Chinese flail mower.jpg

Don't have much salt bush here but it seems to chew through just about anything if you go slow enough.

Looks like it would do the job though. I just ordered that exact Hayes mower the other day, couple of weeks until it arrives.

Have you pushed your rear wheels out wider? What does it take to do that? Make it more stable?

How many hours has it done? Only thing that worries me is how long these Chinese tractors are gonna last!