Tapping into 18MM hard line for hydraulic oil filter??

/ Tapping into 18MM hard line for hydraulic oil filter?? #1  

tundrawolf

Tractor
n/a
Hi, I have a Jinma JD284LE tractor that needs a hydraulic oil filter. I have the oil filter and housing, it has two 3/4" FIP connections in the housing.

The problem is the 18MM suction, hard line going to the hydraulic oil pump.

Aside from welding fittings on this line for the oil filter, what are my options? Compression fittings... I'd rather avoid them if possible... Flaring the line somewhere and tapping into it there? How do I get a micron hydraulic oil filter for my tractor?

/ Tapping into 18MM hard line for hydraulic oil filter?? #2  
What about the return line to the tank?

Any things have the filter there as the input side can cause cavitation and foam the oil.

/ Tapping into 18MM hard line for hydraulic oil filter?? #3  
What about the return line to the tank?

Any things have the filter there as the input side can cause cavitation and foam the oil.

Good point.... Any idea how to tap into the banjo fitting?

/ Tapping into 18MM hard line for hydraulic oil filter?? #4  
Not familiar with what you have but there should be a hose between the valve body and the tank.

Remove the hose and take it to a place that makes hoses and get correct fittings to allow you to install your oil filter.

You may be able to connect the existing hose to the filter via an adaptor and new hose from filter to where original hose was connected.

/ Tapping into 18MM hard line for hydraulic oil filter?? #5  
There are actually two soft Jose's that connect to a sort of tee that's welded to the hard line. The connection is strange to me, it's a sort of flat type behind the threaded nut, and the female portion having an oring. So I'd have to create my own tee, cap off one of the inlets, and tape into them, one for the Inlet, the other for the outlet.

/ Tapping into 18MM hard line for hydraulic oil filter?? #6  
There are hydraulic compression fittings that will work just fine but you really don't need them on the suction side, and as far as installing a filter on the suction side of the pump, it's fine too, in fact it's preferred. Many new machines have them. I have them on my dozer, skid steer, and excavator. There are no cavitation issues at all. That's just not true. Just make sure the filter has the proper flow rate for the pump size, has a filter vacuum gauge, and has the equivalent of at least a 60 mesh strainer, which is 250µ, or .0098".
3/4" NPT 9 GPM FA1112-25 Suction Filter w/Gauge | Filters | Hydraulic Filters | Hydraulics | www.surpluscenter.com

There are also filters for valve protection on the pressure side too, but that's another story.

/ Tapping into 18MM hard line for hydraulic oil filter??
There are hydraulic compression fittings that will work just fine but you really don't need them on the suction side, and as far as installing a filter on the suction side of the pump, it's fine too, in fact it's preferred. Many new machines have them. I have them on my dozer, skid steer, and excavator. There are no cavitation issues at all. That's just not true. Just make sure the filter has the proper flow rate for the pump size, has a filter vacuum gauge, and has the equivalent of at least a 60 mesh strainer, which is 250µ, or .0098".
3/4" NPT 9 GPM FA1112-25 Suction Filter w/Gauge | Filters | Hydraulic Filters | Hydraulics | www.surpluscenter.com

There are also filters for valve protection on the pressure side too, but that's another story.

That's funny, that's the exact filter I bought, minus the gauge, but I could easily drill and tap for it if I have to.

The fittings are called "Metric flange" style and nobody has any fittings for them at all. However, at the pump it seems to be a flat style plate with a tap. COuld I just fab up two more plates, one to attach to the plate connected to the inlet line, and another plate to mount to the pump, both with holes drilled for barb or pipe fittings? Aside from actually welding a fitting onto both ends of the return line, it seems like this is my only option, unless somebody knows where I can get metric flange adapters that convert to a more standard flared connection.

/ Tapping into 18MM hard line for hydraulic oil filter?? #8  
That's funny, that's the exact filter I bought, minus the gauge, but I could easily drill and tap for it if I have to.

The fittings are called "Metric flange" style and nobody has any fittings for them at all.
If the fittings have a captured O-ring, they are called "O-ring Face Seal" (ORFS). They are quite common except for the 14mm, 18mm, and 24mm used by some of the Chinese equipment manufacturers.
However, at the pump it seems to be a flat style plate with a tap.
Only a picture can explain this as there may be multiple ORFS discs.

Could I just fab up two more plates, one to attach to the plate connected to the inlet line, and another plate to mount to the pump, both with holes drilled for barb or pipe fittings? Aside from actually welding a fitting onto both ends of the return line, it seems like this is my only option, unless somebody knows where I can get metric flange adapters that convert to a more standard flared connection.
I'm going to withhold any further comments until I see a picture of what you're talking about.
You will need to bush your filter housing down to 1/2"NPT and use these adapters for your existing tubing -
Hydraulic Fittings - 9607 | Male Pipe (NPTF) x Metric Dual Purpose
Either the 9607-08-18 or 9607-08-S12-20 should work with the appropriate nut and ferrule depending on your tubing size.

/ Tapping into 18MM hard line for hydraulic oil filter??
You will need to bush your filter housing down to 1/2"NPT and use these adapters for your existing tubing -
Hydraulic Fittings - 9607 | Male Pipe (NPTF) x Metric Dual Purpose
Either the 9607-08-18 or 9607-08-S12-20 should work with the appropriate nut and ferrule depending on your tubing size.

The fittings on the return line are non captured oring type...

The fitting for the suction line appears to be flared, I have enclosed the picture of it...

View attachment IMG_20171126_184747648.jpgView attachment IMG_20171126_183408063.jpg

/ Tapping into 18MM hard line for hydraulic oil filter?? #10