add thermostart taishan ts254

/ add thermostart taishan ts254 #1  

gonefishin1

Tractor
ford 4610, ford 2120, ts254 (Chinese)
Has anyone ever added one of these? my tractor has horrible cold starting ability... Even at 35-40 degrees F it won't start. I have actually pulled the air cleaner off and stuck a lit propane torch in the intake on several occasions to make it start. without doing this I have completely drained the battery trying to make it start. I have the 2 cylinder with the decompression lever.

It doesn't have glow plugs or any kind of preheater that i can find. I know some older diesels had those intake heaters. I'm wondering about the mounting of the thermostart and installing the fuel line. Like how close to the engine it needs to be. Or if i can mount it right after the air filter so i'm not drilling the intake... I think some have their own reservoir for diesel and others have a fuel line from the tank. I'm not worried about the wiring that's easy..

Anyone have any advice?

/ add thermostart taishan ts254 #2  
Not familiar with that tractor but if liquid cooled you can install a heater in the radiator return line.
Sizes exist for the different hose sizes and they work really well.

Another option is a block heater but don't even consider the magnetic types as the really don't work.

/ add thermostart taishan ts254 #3  
Sorry, but your post doesn't make any sense to me. What are you calling a "thermostat"? A cold starting aid? A thermostat is incorporated into the engine cooling system to regulate engine operating temperature. Are you using the compression release correctly to start the engine by spinning the engine for 5 to 10 seconds with it released and then closing it with the throttle set at about 1/4? But to answer your question, yes, there are several aftermarket cold starting aids available.
DEUTZ CORP 275731 - STARTING AID, FLAME TYPE - New, Genuine, First Quality, OEM | eBay

JOHN DEERE AT182234 COLD STARTING AID 31E, 31SE, 315SE, 41E Loader Backhoes | eBay

C5NE9A436A Thermostart Intake Manifold Heater for Ford 2 3 4 5 7 | eBay

/ add thermostart taishan ts254 #4  
I don't see why you couldn't add a "thermostart". Yanmar is just one tractor that uses these offend. Go to the Yanmar forum section and ask those guys. They should be able to give you advice.

/ add thermostart taishan ts254
Sorry, but your post doesn't make any sense to me. What are you calling a "thermostat"? A cold starting aid? A thermostat is incorporated into the engine cooling system to regulate engine operating temperature. Are you using the compression release correctly to start the engine by spinning the engine for 5 to 10 seconds with it released and then closing it with the throttle set at about 1/4? But to answer your question, yes, there are several aftermarket cold starting aids available.
DEUTZ CORP 275731 - STARTING AID, FLAME TYPE - New, Genuine, First Quality, OEM | eBay

JOHN DEERE AT182234 COLD STARTING AID 31E, 31SE, 315SE, 41E Loader Backhoes | eBay

C5NE9A436A Thermostart Intake Manifold Heater for Ford 2 3 4 5 7 | eBay

i never said thermostat... i know exactly what a thermostat is and does.. But yes those links are exactly what i'm wanting to add... I din't realize they were so cheap.. I"ll get one ordered... all that leaves me is figuring out the fuel plumbing side. I wonder what type of threads it has on the diesel inlet?

Does it matter if they are mounted horizontally or vertically? I was going to add them in the horizontal section of intake and don't know the correct orientation.

and yes i'm using the decompression lever until i see oil pressure then releasing it. It will spit and sputter, but refuses to start without the torch...

I have considered a block heater of some kind. I didn't realize there was one that goes in the radiator hose. I'll look into this as well...

/ add thermostart taishan ts254 #6  
Hoye tractor parts has this kit for Yarmars

Home/ Back» GLOW PLUG (THERMOSTART) KIT - NEW!

GLOW PLUG (THERMOSTART) KIT - NEW!
Code: HTS-KIT

$94.03

I couldn't seem to copy the picture
But this is a Thermostart kit which uses a heating element and fuel oil to create a small flame in the intake manifold.

/ add thermostart taishan ts254 #7  
Buddy has one installed horizontally in his B1700 and works great.
By the design I believe vertical or horizontal both work.

/ add thermostart taishan ts254 #8  
I believe you'd want to mount it in the intake. Or as close you can get it to the cylinders. I know you probably don't want drill the manifold because of metal shavings. But that might be the best place.

/ add thermostart taishan ts254
Thank you everyone for the help. That kit would probably be the easiest and i wouldn't have to tap into my fuel lines that way.

And that's great news that it will fit horizontally or vertically. I'll see how close to the head i can mount it. And yes metal shavings are my main concern. And also i figured I would be safer doing that in the intake in the event i stripped out the hole or something.. I don't want to take a chance on unbolting the intake in case I break a bolt off... I don't feel like removing the head at the moment haha...

Thanks again everyone