Connecting and Using a Wood Chipper

/ Connecting and Using a Wood Chipper #1  

baj33790

Tractor
Siromer (Jinma) 204E
Hello everyone, :newhere: I hope someone may have experience to point me in the right direction with my query as the manuals are a bit 'vague' :rolleyes:.

I admit to being a total newbie as far as tractors are concerned and have just obtained a new Siromer (Jinma) 204E with front loader. I also have a Chinese version of a BX42R wood chipper, the blades of which run from the PTO, but the feed rollers are powered from the tractor hydraulics. On the rear of the tractor, there are 3 sets of hydraulic connectors (see photo).

Am I right in thinking that the similarly coloured hydraulic connectors are 組o and 喪eturn pairs? E.g. in the attached photo, are the connectors A & B (Red) a pair, C & D (Blue) a pair and E & F (Yellow) a pair?

If this is correct, then I believe that I can't use A & B or C & D, that each have an operating lever that you can move from one side to the other, labelled 'F' and 'R', with a sort of central neutral position, as they are double acting spool valves and only allow flow in one direction at a time?

I think I have to use the yellow auxiliary connectors E & F, so do they have a continuous flow and therefore are these the ones to use? I read on one forum that it is necessary to close the flow valve under the driver seat to stop the 3 point lift from working and for the auxiliary connectors to work? Has anyone used a similar wood chipper and can give me some pointers if this the case with the 204E?

View attachment 541812

Any help welcomed and thanks in advance

/ Connecting and Using a Wood Chipper #2  
AB and CD only have flow when their respective lever is activated, so to use them on the chipper roller feed you will have to devise something to hold the associated lever in the correct position to maintain flow. I am guessing they dram their fluid from near where the loader gets its fluid.

Is there a spool valve for controlling the roller feed back on the chipper?

EF are off the tail end of the hydraulic loop where the 3PH lift valve is located. You are correct that you need to close the 3PH lowering speed control valve down in front of the seat. Basically the output of the 3PH control valve splits. And goes to the lift cylinder thru the speed valve. The other half goes to the fitting on the right(F). Closing that speed valve forces fluid to the F port when you lift the 3PH control lever. In order to move the tractor around, you need to lift the 3PH and chipper to drive. You open the speed valve, but the hitch wont lift as the fluid will just flow back to the chipper thru port F, so you also have to break the connection at F to get pressure to the lift cyl. So a few added steps to move the tractor...

One thing this opens you up for is the ability to easilly add a 10 micron return filter on the chipper return line where it connects to E, which will allow you to clean the fluid the whole time you are running the chipper... I made one of these to connect between F and E on my 284 so I can filter hydraulic fluid whenever I am not using the 3PH.

/ Connecting and Using a Wood Chipper
Hello Ron,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I understand what you said about E & F, that to move the tractor , I have to reverse the steps I had taken when activating the chipper to allow the 3PH to lift, and thank you for the tip to fit a filter, that is a bonus. The chipper has a valve to adjust the roller speed , I assume that's what you mean (see photo)

P2270721 compres.JPG

One point I am not clear on is that I thought from the diagrams I found on the internet that a double acting spool valve (A & B, and C & D) only allowed fluid to pass from say 'A' to the implement when you pushed the lever one way and in the reverse direction from the implement to 'B' when you pulled back, so that you could pressurise a cylinder in a ram to push it 'out' and then release it. Are you saying that pulling the lever one way allows fluid to pass from say 'A' through the implement and back through 'B' thus creating a circuit, and when the lever is pushed the opposite way , it forms a circuit in the opposite direction......or did I get that bit wrong?

Thanks

Brian

/ Connecting and Using a Wood Chipper #4  
No, you got it right. When you operate a cylinder, you ARE creating a circuit. When you work the lever, pressurized fluid flows out of the valve work port to one end of a cylinder, when the cylinder moves, it pushes fluid out the other end of the cylinder and back to the valve port. When you reverse the lever, you reverse the to-from flow out of the valve ports and the cylinder moves the other way.

These systems are what is known as “Open Center”. In an open center system the fluid is ALWAYS in motion from pump to reservoir as long as the engine is running, either thru the middle gallery of the valve, or out thru the working ports to-from a cylinder or motor when a lever is activated, or thru the pressure reliefe valve when a cylinder reaches the end of its travel or is overloaded. Pressure will vary depending on load up to the relief valve setting but the fluid always flows. If the quick connections right after the pump fall apart(they have check balls to keep from leaking when disconnected) it quite often blows up the pump, dead stops the engine or sometimes blows the hose or the ball in the quick connection.

A good idea is to put a large zip-tie around the female end of the quick connection to insure the sliding collar stays forward/locked and a stick or brush dosnt accidently pop the QC apart. A better idea is to take the qc’s apart and remove the balls from both halvs of a male-female pair. You usually connect them to each other anyway when removing the loader, so it only leaks a little fluid while you shuffle them around, and an accidental disconnect dosnt stop the flow...

My chipper is belt drive. Had to re-engineer it so the safety bar actually stops the roller(my mod flips the belt off the pulley and stops the feed roller instantly. Hydraulic would be nice thou... keep the blades sharp and they are real monsters...

Good luck.

/ Connecting and Using a Wood Chipper
Many thanks Ron for your helpful advice and knowledge.

/ Connecting and Using a Wood Chipper #6  
You my have only 2 pairs and 2 free return connectors. Use one of the blue or red and for your return one of the E connectors.