Farm Pro 2420 Lift Speed Adjustment

/ Farm Pro 2420 Lift Speed Adjustment #1  

DavidBradley

According to the manual, the adjustment for increasing or decreasing the rate the lift goes down is to loosen the screw under the big knob under the seat and turn the big knob to adjust the rate and tighten the screw. My problem is that after loosening the screw, the big knob won't turn. It appears to be a little rusty on the threads that show. I tried liquid wrench, no luck. The knob in the drawing appears to be knurled metal. Mine is plastic with a roll pin inserted. I'm a little bit afraid to use a strap wrench on it for fear of breaking it. Any suggestions.

/ Farm Pro 2420 Lift Speed Adjustment #2  
My Jinma did the same thing. It was just a matter of removing the sludge that was interfering with rotation and seating. Not much different than removing/disassembling an old fashioned water faucet.

Yours too quite likely needs nothing more than a good cleaning. Don't let the plastic scare you. Remove the set screw first, and simply try to turn the whole thing out by hand. If that doesn't work, tap out the roll pin and remove the knob. Now the flat edges of the valve shaft are exposed for you to put a wrench on the thing. Back it out, clean it up, replace the O-ring if necessary, reassemble.

//greg//

/ Farm Pro 2420 Lift Speed Adjustment #3  
Hi David,,,

These bind up fairly frequently because they aren't used
much. Easiest way to free it up is to spray some penetraing
oil (WD-40 or similar) in the threads and wait a bit. Then
use a low profile set of angled slip-joints to grab the STEEL
shaft NOT the plastic knob hub and give it a twist. You will
also have to remove the transmission vent to get a good swing...

Regards
Graham Slieker
Bolton POwer Equipment

/ Farm Pro 2420 Lift Speed Adjustment
Thanks Greg, did as you suggested, found same as you did, cleaned, oiled, adjusted rate, we're cooking with gas now. Also the inside threads looked like that they had been cut with the oldest and dullest tap that they could find. Looked like they had been torn, instead of cut. Very ragged and rusty. But any how problem solved. Thanks to Bolton also for his suggestion, but I was afraid I would bugger the threads up, and then need them latter on.

Thanks
Dave