Jinma 204 Gear Noise

/ Jinma 204 Gear Noise #1  

DirtPoor

Tractor
JINMA 204
Just took delivery on a new Jinma 204 and now have about 4 hrs on it (can't tell for sure since the tach/hr meter is not working).

After working the backhoe and FEL intially in creep and low range, reverse and 1st gear, etc. I took a drive to the mail box in high (creep) and high range. 4 wd disengaged. Once I shifted into 2nd or third gear I got a lot of gear noise from the main gear case. More than I had noticed in the lower gear ranges while working (and more than I had ever noticed from my old farm tractor in my past life as a 'farm-boy").. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

My dealer is has only given me a 90 warrantee and this is only for parts (no labor).

My question would be: what is normal gear noise on these tractors.

Also, any clue on where to start trouble shooting the tach? The connectors are OK and the wires look fine.

Any advice or experience would be appreciated.

DirtPoor Steve

/ Jinma 204 Gear Noise #2  
These are staight geared tractors and they are a little noisey in the transmissions, some people are running 90 weight gear oil which is making it a little quieter,The tach sender is most likley out of adjustment.Look behind the clutch petal on the bell housing you will see the sender with double nuts on it going into the backside of the bell housing,loosen the double nuts and with the tractor running in neutral turn the sender clockwise until you see movement,most tractors with the throttle pulled back idle at 800 rpm.Once you have it adjusted
re-tighten the double nuts.Hope this helps,did the dealer assemble the tractor????I think you may want to check all the bolts for tightness, check all of the oil levels, put oil in the injector pump,check all lug nuts,check the creeper gear for oil,
ect,grease all the fitting under the tractor and on the steering,
make sure all the wires are secure under the fenders,check all the lights and switches.

Tommy Laskowski
Affordable Tractor Sales

/ Jinma 204 Gear Noise #3  
Creeper off or high, whichever you want to call it, and low range, 2nd and 3rd are the noisyest. Maybe high 2nd and 3rd is as well, but I don't use them. Using creeper engaged with high range 2nd and 3rd, will give similar speeds and is quieter. The noise doesn't bother me anymore, and it does decrease slightly as the gears wear in. As stated above, the heavier oil helps some, as well.

/ Jinma 204 Gear Noise #4  
Steve,
My 224 is noisy too took me a while to get used to it. It is especially noisy going down hill with no throttle. When I first heard it I stopped and checked all the fluids. I have not made the change to 90w oil. If this helps out I would consider it but if no harm is being done no reason to change....

/ Jinma 204 Gear Noise
How do you check the oil level in the Creeper gear case (w/o removing the cover)?? All I see is a drain on the bottom.

BTW. Since I posted this question, I talked to the dealer and he recommended the 90 weight gear oil as well.

Even if I get use to the noise, I'm not so sure about my neigh bors. (maybe they won't mind after I push some snow this winter)

While working I wouldn't be using the 'road gears' however I do need them when going on the county roads to another part of my property..

Thanks for the several encouraging responses..

Steve /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Jinma 204 Gear Noise #7  
You will need to pull the bolts out of the cover,The oil is supposed to get into the creeper from the transmission.
We have had a few that the oil did flow thru and some that didn't.So just to be sure check it.

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales

/ Jinma 204 Gear Noise #8  
Hi Dirtpoor: There's a write up in the CTOA info that gives you measurements for adding a oil check/fill hole to the creeper gearbox. It's easy to do, also I bought 5 gallons of Castrol Hypoy GL-4 90w gear oil for all my gearboxes. From a local Emmerson oil supplier. ($47.00 / 5 gal) The GL-4 oil is safe for yellow metals such as bronze and copper which may (or may not be) in the gearboxes. and so far it dosen't seem to foam.

/ Jinma 204 Gear Noise
Thanks for that info. I'll check with my petro distributor. (he is always happy to see me change to equipment that has different oil requirements)
I think I will complete my "Break-in" hours, drain the gear oil and look for any evidence or unusual metal particals before I install the heavy oil.

thanks

steve

/ Jinma 204 Gear Noise #10  
Dirtpoor, do as Tommy says and pull the 8 bolts and take a look see to make sure oil is indeed in there. Takes 5-10 minutes and then you can be sure oil is in creeper housing. On at least one oil didn't flow into the creeper as intended.