cold weather starting

/ cold weather starting #1  

bmartin

Bronze Member
Tractor
Farm Pro 2425
I have a Farm Pro 2425 [385 engine] with 21 hours on it. As the weather is getting cooler it is getting harder and harder to start. I have used the glow plugs for up to 60 seconds and they seem to be working at least they are drawing about 28 amps, still hard to start. My question is, is it ok to use a shot of starter fluid? Let me say this, this is my first diesel experience so I can use all the help I can get.
Billy

/ cold weather starting #2  
Starter fluid and diesels are one of those delicate subjects.. kind of like torqueing a bolt.... " tighten it to just before it breaks!"

Even on the low compression gas engines I'm used to like old antique gas tractors.. we call that stuff 'head bolt loosener'.

No reason why a new diesel engine should have to rely on ether to start.

I might hazard wd-40 or something like that though...

Soundguy

/ cold weather starting #3  
Anyone ever tried propane? Again.. I've heard stories.. but never 'seen' a propane assit start on a diesel engine.. though i have seen an old 353 with a bad fuel pump run off a can of wd-40 for diagnosis...

Soundguy

/ cold weather starting #4  
Lots of opinions on using starting fluids. The forum search engine will help you see what's been said (and resaid) on the subject. Here's a Typical Discussion . Read a few, make up your own mind.

My feeling on the matter is that starting fluid is an emergency measure, to be used only by those who know HOW to inflict minimal damage with it. THEN, get to the root of the problem of WHY the engine is difficult to start.

//greg//

/ cold weather starting #5  
Bmartin,
I see you are from NC that would be North Carolina correct?
Well I'm up in upstate NY and its a tad cooler than you folks get. Started my 224 yesterday, about 45 degrees and 15 seconds of glow plug time fires right up.
I have to agree with Greg and Soundguy that it can be used BUT with correct procedures and amounts. I've been mostly a diesel mechanic my whole career and have used it BUT really don't like to as the damage that it can cause. Like Greg added this does not correct the real problem. I've started mine down at zero without either. Plus I've never used my glow plugs more than 30 seconds at a start(this was a test to see if it would start on own at zero temps, I usually use my block heater for 20 degree and lower stuff). Just my opine but I think you may have other problems.
Give us more info about how long you have to crank etc. Have you ever tried using the "decompression" lever while starting?

/ cold weather starting
Once I'm running it runs great its just starting that is a problem. I have noticed that the glow plugs pull 28-30 amps but I have never seen the drop to 25 or so that you should get. I haven't changed the fuel filter as of yet, could that be the problem? Since it runs great after it lights off I figured the filter was ok.
Billy

/ cold weather starting
No, I haven't used the decompression lever at all. Mabe thats the trick?
Billy

/ cold weather starting
Harry I am in North Carolina but my tractor is in the hills of SW Virginia and we have had a couple of mornings when it was below freezing and that is when it was realy giving me a fit starting. Iwill say this, I have a buddy with a Nortrac and he has replaced 2 head gaskets and I'll bet using starter fluid was the cause.
Billy

/ cold weather starting #9  
Like I said, either in right measures and correct procedures does no harm BUT done incorrectly well I've heard of guys blowing up pistons, spinning bearings, head gaskets, not good things. With that said, some engines come with a either start system but its finely controlled.
Back to "decompression" lever. Do you have a Lever that sticks out of dash board? Some don't have the decompression lever but it holds the exhaust valves open with cranking and when you get engine cranking you release it to assist starting. Sounds like the engine has no compression. Which it doesn't because you are holding open valves. Really gets the engine RPMs up while cranking. Take a look and see if yours has one and get back.

/ cold weather starting #10  
Take a look at THIS PHOTO Billy. Kinda hard to see, but #6 is pointing at the decompression lever location. The lever itself is the shiny vertical thing, just left of center.

//greg//