What is the difference between a Jinma 224 & 254

/ What is the difference between a Jinma 224 & 254 #1  

Matt_A

Tractor
Farm Pro 2wd 20hp
I'm am looking to buy one of these tractors next year. I have heard the motor is basically the same but they "tune" them different. Is the physical size of the tractor the same? I have a Farm Pro 2wd 20hp which has been a decent tractor for me but I'd like to move up to something with a little more power and the ability to put a Koyker loader on one day. Will the 224 run a 5 bush hog comfortably as well as a three point chipper? There is a decent price difference between these tractors which is why I ask. My friend has the 254 at it seems like a nice tractor(he loves it) /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

/ What is the difference between a Jinma 224 & 254 #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have heard the motor is basically the same but they "tune" them different. Is the physical size of the tractor the same? )</font>
It's the 25 and 28 hp versions that have the similarities to which you refer. The 224 is at the top of the 18-22 hp group. Most variations of the 224 are/were ~11 inches smaller (than the 254/284) in length and ~5 inches shorter in height, and the engine has a smaller bore. Weight is suprisingly 44 pounds heavier.

There's little point in addressing the rest of the questions, because not much more than 2 hp separates the 204 from the 224. You'd have to go to the 254 and above group to gain a significant advantage over what you've already got.

//greg//

/ What is the difference between a Jinma 224 & 254
Greg,
Thanks. That clarifies this issue. I want something the size of my neighors tractor. His tractor looks sizeably bigger than my base model Farm Pro. I only paid 3K new so I guess I can't complain /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I should look at other manufacturers as well since you seem to be happy with your Kama.

/ What is the difference between a Jinma 224 & 254 #4  
Matt,
The current 224s are basically the 254/284 frame (disk brake and 9.5x24" rear tires and 16" front tires) with the 380 engine instead of the 385. It does come with a smaller price tag. The 204s I've seen are built with smaller tires and have had drum brakes.
I have JM224, Farm Pro 2425 and KAMA TS254C in stock if you would like a quote just PM or email me, we are just a state away. THanks sales@artrac.com

Ok. I'm a little confused now. If I put the 224 and the 254 side by side would they look the same in size? I don't need a huge tractor but I would like a tractor that could run a Koyker loader(160?) comfortably.

Chip, I wish I was ready to buy but I don't have the money. I will need to find a buyer for my Farm Pro and to be honest the tractor won't be used again until spring. Thanks for the info though.

Actually, I'm going to need a forklift before then. Does Jinma make forklifts? LOL! Harbor Freight is listing a 3000lbs propane power Hyundai forklift for $4000 in their latest catalog. I assume it is free shipping and no tax. It is a small forklift but I can't anything for sale used under $2500.

Scratch off the deal for the forklift. Harbor Freight mispriced it by $10,000. I guess I could try to get them to sell me one!

/ What is the difference between a Jinma 224 & 254 #7  
Yes, they look the same, bigger than the 2420 Farm Pro. Keep us in mind when you are ready, maybe we can take your 2420 in on trade...

know what you mean about used forklifts being hard to find, it would surprise me if that price (harbor freight) includes freight, but you never know, I paid about $ 1700 to have a 8000# Hyster shipped from Calif. about half what I paid for the worn out clunker to begin with but we use it every day. HOmier was listing a 6000 lb on their farm pro price list but I think they discontinued, seems it was around $12K new.

Chip,
I'll keep you in mind. My 2420 is a good tractor and really all I need but I would love something a little bigger.

I called Homier/Farm Pro and after waiting for 20 minutes I'll finally got to talk with someone. The lady actually said they are "working" on the deal right now and doesn't have an expected date of sale. I don't need a forklift right now so maybe this will eventually be another option. Thanks for the info.

/ What is the difference between a Jinma 224 & 254 #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Will the 224 run a 5 bush hog comfortably as well as a three point chipper? )</font>
Chip is a dealer, so I'm not in a position to challenge. I took the 224 specs from my book which is already three years old. I guess the 224 has evolved some since then. That's why I sorta qualified my statement with the "are/were" proviso.

That said, I think 22 hp (18 at the PTO if you're lucky) might be a bit on the wimpy side for a 5 foot rotary cutter - especially mowing uphill. I had a IM-500 behind my JM254, and it worked great - until I made the turn and started going back uphill. But if you're going to be mowing a billiard table, you might get by

Not qualified to input on the wood chipper question though, sorry.

//greg//

/ What is the difference between a Jinma 224 & 254 #10  
Greg my 224 pulls a KK 5' with no problem straight up my mountains never noticed any hesitation.
I thought the 224, 254 and 284 engines are the same, at least that is what Gary at Emerybuilt told me. When my fuel pump went he sent me a fuel pump for the 254 saying the only difference between the 22, 25 and 28 models are in the governor. The engines are essentially the same with a different RPM horsepower rating.