More Help 2430 Farm Pro

/ More Help 2430 Farm Pro #1  

blisterbug

Tractor
2430 Farm Pro
When I changed my oil I talked to John Deere said to use 15-40 Mystick, well when I started to put the new oil in I took the cap off and I found this bunch of stuff like steel wool ,my guess it some kind of steel filter, I took that out and started to pour in the oil and it took about 10 minutes a quart to put it in ,seems theres little holes the oil has to drain thru and takes for ever. Will that plastic pull out or do I just drill bigger holes? I dont what to get any plastic in the oil.

/ More Help 2430 Farm Pro #2  
I'm not familiar with the 30hp engine, my 28 isn't a problem putting oil in at all and I didn't have the steel filter either.

/ More Help 2430 Farm Pro #3  
I haven't personally worked on a 304, but sounds like you only took the cap apart - instead of taking it completely out of the hole. Some of them are in two parts, with the steel wool stuff inside acting as oil breather filter. Check again, and see if the other half is left in the valve cover.

If it's the kind I'm thinking of, the bottom half screws out too. In the end, you have kind of a sandwich; top half and bottom half that screw together - with filter material inside. Then the whole asssembly screws into the valve cover.

But that's just a guess. If yours isn't that design, I apologize in advance.

//greg//

/ More Help 2430 Farm Pro #4  
Greg, I think you got it, just checked a used 354 and a new Farmpro 2430, the 2430 unscrewed easily including the plastic case witht he steel wool, the older on the cap just came off, it was too cold and I was afraid of breaking this customers tractor to try unscrew the bottom part of the cap but I suspect it will come out...