Broken Hydraulic Hose on front loader of tractor

/ Broken Hydraulic Hose on front loader of tractor #1  

oscarman

Tractor
Taskmaster 438D
I have a TaskMaster 438D. I have a new replacement hose ready to install. Thought I'd flush the hydraulic system while I was at it. I am new to tractors... what does flushing the hydraulic system entail? Also, do I need to bleed the air out of the system - how is this usually done? Thanks...

/ Broken Hydraulic Hose on front loader of tractor #2  
Welcome to the forum Oscarman. How hydraulic pumps does your TM have? And if more than one - which one supplies the loader?

I have no personal experience with TM, but have flushed Jinmas and KAMAs. Unless you've been seeing bubbles in the hydraulic fluid, it's unlikely you have to worry about air. But I'm going to wait first, to see if any actual TM owners can contributetheir own experience.

If none respond, at least I can relate to you how I did it on the JM and KM

//greg//

/ Broken Hydraulic Hose on front loader of tractor #3  
If you just blew a hose and are merely replacing the old one then there is no need to flush the system.

Once you get the new hydraulic hose installed cycle the loader through all of its movements several times which will take care of any air in the lines and cylinders.

Good luck to you. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Broken Hydraulic Hose on front loader of tractor
Much thanks to Greg_G and PineRidge for responding. The TM has two hydraulic pumps. I think, not exactly sure that one is totally dedicated to the loader. Also thanks for the tip on replacing the broken hose. One more question. The fittings on the hose are metric. When I took the hose to the local repair guy for replacement he did not carry metric fittings so he sliced in a 'union' where the hole was thereby keeping the end metric fittings intact. Any ideas on where these fittings/parts can be acquired?

Thanks again! It's great to have a place to come to for questions....

/ Broken Hydraulic Hose on front loader of tractor #5  
I will defer to PineRidge on the adapter question, as I am still using my original metric fittings. With luck, he can point you to a source for the required metric to SAE adapters. I understand they're not uncommon.

I'm going to guess that one hydraulic pump may be dedicated to steering, and that the other is for TPH and loader. Let me know if that's wrong. But if correct - and if you still want to flush your system - I am standing by to help

//greg//

/ Broken Hydraulic Hose on front loader of tractor #6  
Oscarman, here is one site that deals with a lot of fittings. Also there are others. Put a Google search for "Metric hydraulic fittings" and you will come up with many. Also adapters fro metric to SAE and vice versa.
My own preference is if a hose replacement is necessary use a conversion adapter so if I can replace with local fittings. Your choice.
Good Luck, Harry,,,,,,,,,,,,link below

http://www.fittingsandadapters.com/metric.html

/ Broken Hydraulic Hose on front loader of tractor #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Any ideas on where these fittings/parts can be acquired? )</font>

NAPA stores can make hydraulic lines as well as most tractor dealerships. The times that I have needed one, I got them at my local Deere dealer. It took maybe 5 minutes.

/ Broken Hydraulic Hose on front loader of tractor #8  
Greg_g and oscarman, I have a TM 432E and it has two pumps, one for the steering and one for the FEL, BH, etc. Hope this helps.

/ Broken Hydraulic Hose on front loader of tractor
Greg_G, yes you are correct. The TM has one hydraulic pump dedicated to steering, the other is for TPH and loader. The operators manual suggests that all the reservoirs of the power train be drained after the 50 hour initial break-in period. I was just at 50 hours when the hose broke on the front loader. Excuse me for being so dumb, but are the powertrain and hydraulics part of the same system?

If so, then (per the operators manual) after the lubricants have been drained off next would be to replace the axle and transmission lube with clean diesel fuel, then jack up one of the rear and front wheels (4-wheel drive) and run the tractor for 2 minutes in first gear with partial throttle. Also operate the hydraulic lift system several times, stop the engine, drain off the washing oil while still hot, and fill axels and tranmission with new lube oil of proper type and grade. Does this make sense???

Thanks a lot for your help. Also wanted to thank the other gentlemen for their tips on the Hydraulic fittings.

/ Broken Hydraulic Hose on front loader of tractor #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( are the powertrain and hydraulics part of the same system? )</font>
Not on Jinmas or KAMAs. Power train consists of front differential, transfer case, creeper (or shuttle), transmission, and rear differential. On my Yanmar however, the tranny and hydraulics SHARED fluid. So since I haven't personally done this to a TaskMaster, maybe it would be wise for me to let an actual TM owner step up to the plate here.

The answer to one question might clear it up though - does the owner's manual specify the SAME OIL for both the power train components AND the hydraulics?

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Also operate the hydraulic lift system several times...Does this make sense??? )</font>
Not as written, unless the TM is designed like my Yanmar. Otherwise, they might be assuming that the powertrain flush/fill and hydraulics flush/fill are being performed simultaneously. I did mine individually.

//greg//