1999 engines

/ 1999 engines #1  

bmartin

Bronze Member
Tractor
Farm Pro 2425
I stopped by a Homier Show today and they had a 2425 Farm Pro that was a Sept 2004 model and it still had the 1999 engine. I thought they had stopped bringing those in. I have a 2003 model and it has the 1999 engine .
Billy

/ 1999 engines #2  
My June 03 engine has a 1999.5 date. Thats about the end of the loophole. I'm sure they are about out of "stocked" engines. LOL

/ 1999 engines
Even with the old engines or old dates they have increased the tractor price by $500 , From 5999 to 6499. I guess the weak dollar accounts for a lot of that.
Billy

/ 1999 engines #4  
I was at a tractor show a month ago that had farm pro tractors there. Their engines carried 1999 dates as well.

Soundguy

/ 1999 engines #5  
It is due to customs requirements (EPA). This is a way for Jinma to work around the system by lieing about the engine manufacture date. All of these engines are actually new and was probally built when the tractor was, but if they put the actual build date on the engine the EPA would probally not allow them into the USA so easy. So Jinma really needs to change this since the requirements are going to be really tough later this year.

/ 1999 engines #6  
We have the first EPA approved tractors with the Y395 engines due to arrive on Feb.13th 2005.The Y385 will be coming later this year

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales

/ 1999 engines #7  
Once the tractor is here is one thing, but, I for one will believe Tommy before I listen to hearsay from anyone else in regard to future imports.
Thank you Tommy! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ 1999 engines #8  
The 1999 loophole has been closed. Several importers got hung up last year on this issue and lots of retail deliveries were delayed, and as I understand fines were paid. The end result is that I am sure there are lots more grey hairs on the dealers and customers involved.

Anyone still using this mfg date "exemption" to bring in tractors might as well be bringing in cuban cigars or any other illegal commodity they choose, just call it something else on the customs declaration and hope like *&%$ they dont check it! (we have been examed on both of our recent containers after only one last year so they are checking more, although we never know what is is they are checking for)

The anti stockpiling provision of the code is what is finally putting an end to this method of importing. If the engines are not actually made in the year stated, bringing them in would be fraud, if the Chinese really do have a pile of engines, than using them to avoid compliance is also against the law. So my crystal ball says 1999 engines will fade fast from the scene this year.

I don't know what the bigger importers are doing but they are certainly not hiding. I have heard that EPA people were at Homier most of last summer, and I personally would not be surprided if the EPA certifications are not at least partially a result of that quiry.

Any the good news is, like Tommy says, EPA approved engines are now shipping, and more are due to comply this year. This means the supply lines for parts will remain open and dealers can continue to import both tractors and parts as long as there is a demand in the market.

We will be brining in a new 35HP KAMA with EPA engine soon and will have other models later in the year.

By the way, there has been a legal way to import new non compliant engines since 1998, just many choose the easier less restrivtive way probably to avoid the limit of 200 tractors per year as provided in 40 CFR 89.102. Me I'd be happy with those kinds of sales figures!

/ 1999 engines #9  
You guys are exactly right, Jinma is offering the new labels EPA Certified for a additional cost for dealers. All dealers should start getting these labels, otherwise dealers (not customers) could end up paying alot more in fines going through customs. The EPA is on the lookout now for these manufactured dates in 1999... So if your buying a container of tractors get the new lable as was mentioned above!! If you already have your tractor it would probally be safe to assume that the tractor engine was actually built around the same time the dealer imported it, not in 1999 as 90% of the Jinma engines currently say...

/ 1999 engines #10  
There are three different labels that I am aware of:

1) The infamous 1999 engine label

2) TPEM Label

3) EPA Certified Label

Item 1, everyone can do at their own risk. The risk has just been much greater in the last year, and extremely high if attempting this year. Yes, we can speculate on how many of these engines were actually made /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Item 2, allows for 200 units and follow meticulous paperwork. Not sure when this ends. I suspect this is what you are talking about, but first I've heard you had to pay more for that label. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Not sure how often the paperwork is checked. Rest assured if you couldn't produce it, it probably impacts your next shipment. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Item 3, from what I know, will allow unlimited importing of certified engines. Certification has to be granted to particular US dealers/importers. Cost a good chunk of change. It sounds like major dealers will be receiving these, this year. I don't believe a small importer would be able to tag along on one of these, ie pay more for a certified label, with out express permission from the certification holder, which is not the chinese. If you purhase direct from the certification holder, expect to pay a premium for that. Most likely the premium will drop as the quantity goes up. Not sure how often the certification has to be renewed? If this goes out multi-years expect to pay less of premium next year, as these large dealers recoup their cost.

The good news is that the more popular engines are getting certified, ie the 395 and 385. This will ensure a good stateside supply of parts, for years to come. I am also speculating that the number of engine choices will go down. I doubt it will be cost effective, at least in the near-term, to pay for additional certifications, for engines like the 380. The 380 owners, don't have to worry because almost all parts are common on the 385.