battery

/ battery #1  

alpha

Bronze Member
Tractor
Jinma 354
Ive got a 354 that only starts with a jump. the lights are bright when it runs but if I stop it I have to jump start again. the amp meter doesnt work as well.Great power, pulled my plow truck out of a culvert when it was hung up so bad the right rear wheel wasnt on the ground. Any ideas or is it just the batteries, who sells them as they are 6 volt.

/ battery #2  
I could be wrong but I thought your tractor was 12 volt. What did you mean about "the batteries are 6 volt"? Do you have 2 six volt batteries in series for 12 volts?

/ battery #3  
Take the 2-6volt batteries out and put in 1 12 volt battery
31F series

Tommy

/ battery #4  
Tommy gave the right info. I kind of thought it was 12 volt but you never know. Went thru that crap years ago all the time with different volt systems.
Remember the battery that is bad always pulls down the good one, series or in parallel it doesn't matter. The weak link in the chain scenerio.

/ battery
Thanks Tommy but I'm not sure what a 31f is. What parts store might carry one? Would any old 600 cold crank 12 volt battery work?

/ battery #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( not sure what a 31f is.)</font>
31 is the battery group number, f is the type within the group; often related to the post type. A 31F battery is a commercial type, very very commonly used in diesel applications. There is a wide spread of cranking amps available within Group 31 though. Don't waste money on anthing less than 750CCA, especially if you anticipate a lot of cold weather starting. That's Cold Cranking Amps. THIS WEB PAGE might help.

I use a Group 93 (automotive) battery myself, with 1065CA/850CCA. I selected it because of the few extra pounds it puts in the front of my tractor. But pay attention to physical size, it may be too big for your battery tray.

//greg//