Broken Front Axle

/ Broken Front Axle #1  

Wayne_Freeman

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400
I have over torqued my 284 4wd and damaged the front axle. I have removed both front wheels and axle housings. The right side drive gear in the Standing Shaft Housing has a broken tooth as you can see in the picture. However, when I rotate the shaft that goes into the main housing it does not rotate smoothly either direction. Got a feeling this is not going to be fun. Before going any further I would like some opinions on how to proceed? I am going to try and include the pic of the shaft I am now rotating that goes into the main housing. This shaft slides in/out easily and the teeth on both ends look fine. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 579863-broken axle tooth.jpg
    579863-broken axle tooth.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 869
   / Broken Front Axle
Here is the pic of the shaft that goes into the main housing. Like I said earlier, it slides right out and the splines on both ends look fine. I am beginning to feel like I have bumped into my mechanical limit and may consider pulling the axle, putting it on a pallet and ship it to someone close to South Carolina. I appreciate any words of wisdom.
Wayne Freeman

Attachments

• 579869-tractor axle 004.jpg
    579869-tractor axle 004.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 622
   / Broken Front Axle #3  
OUCH !!! I'm sorry but that is what comes immediately to mind.

/ Broken Front Axle #6  
Wayne,

Sorry to hear about about this happening to your tractor. I would be interested in more details on how it happened. If posted on another forum/site, please just provide the link. No need to retype it here. Thanks.

/ Broken Front Axle
It may be of some benefit to detail how to over torque your front axle. On this particular day I was moving rip rap (big chunks of concrete and mud) preparing to pour a boat ramp in my back yard. Working a loader while picking up material is all a function of forward speed and bucket manipulation. You can slow down and work the curl and lift to pick up almost anything. The stuff I was working was heavy, muddy and tough. I started using L1 approaching the material and slowly manipulate the bucket in order to work the material into the bucket. This really turns into a dozer function at some point. Anyway, it was the only way I was able to make any progress. Should have called my buddy with the big back hoe! I was almost finished when I heard the pop sound under the tractor. I knew what I was doing overstressed the front axle and got that feeling like now I did it. To make a long story short I damaged the front axle. So far I have a busted gear on the left housing but the main case has to be dropped today because I have a feeling something is busted in there also. I have no doubt this is a self inflicted mechanical failure. Now I gotta get her fixed because spring in South Carolina is right around the corner. I will post here and CTOA as repairs proceed.

/ Broken Front Axle #8  
Wayne,

Thanks. Yes, I am just trying to understand what and how you were doing it, such that I don't end up with same results. I will say, up to this point, I have always used 4wd when using fel for gravel and dirt digging/loading. Most of the time it has been topsoil or gravel, nothing with large boulders or cement slabs. Where possible, I'll be using 2wd, now. But when I'm on inclines I like to use 4wd.

If you have the time, I do have a few more questions. I am just trying to get a rough idea of where the safe zone is:

I think this is tractor configuration, but please confirm:

-284LE
-Koyker 160 FEL
-Ag tires
-Standard Shift, not shuttle
-Clutch disk type brakes, not drum style

Did you sense anything wrong before the pop? ie something just not right but couldn't put your finger on it. ie something happen just before, and popping was just the gear breaking.

Where you pushing an almost imovable object when it popped?

or did you have a full bucket load and where moving it, when it popped?

If the latter, were you also turning the wheels at the same time?

Also, if the latter, whould you say the bucket had over 1000lbs in it?

It sounds like wet conditions where the wheels should have spun or possibly not in the particular location where it broke?

Does the Koyker FEL have the 1 3/4" or 2" cylinders?

How if the FEL plumbed? Direct inline like ZL20 or post the diverter valve?

Thanks for any additional input. Please keep us abreast of your progress on fixing it. Pictures are always welcome.

PS:If your inspection reveals other areas of damage, it might be better to just replace the whole front axle.

/ Broken Front Axle #9  
Hi Wayne, I do have a compete brand new front axle for a 284. I thought I broke mine and all the problem was that the ball bearing came out of the shaft. Call me for more info at 1-631-736-1400. Thanks.

/ Broken Front Axle
Here is a pic of the material I was moving. It was probably much to heavy for my 284. I think the damage occurred while inching forward and lifting. That is just too much torque on the front axle!

Attachments

• 580817-riprap.jpg
    580817-riprap.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 392