61 hrs and the clutch is gone!

/ 61 hrs and the clutch is gone! #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is it really likely that the gentleman using the tractor for maybe 5-6hrs could completely burn up the clutch, )</font>

I imagine you could ruin a clutch in an hour if you wanted to. Depends on if the fellow was using it as speed control or not.

Soundguy

/ 61 hrs and the clutch is gone! #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Can someone point me to this "John S's" site that I keep seeing mentioned? )</font>

No problem Todd. Click HERE.

//greg//

/ 61 hrs and the clutch is gone! #13  
I think the first thing I would do is manuver the FEL bracket so you can get a small gap into the access plate and then get your nose down there and have a good sniff. If the clutch was fried that quickly, it should stink to the high heavens.

If the clutch is bad as it sounds, you're going to have to take the FEL off anyway.

Sorry, I didn't have time to read the whole thread, hopefully, I'm not repeating anything.

Good luck!

/ 61 hrs and the clutch is gone! #14  
It sounds like what happened to my 254 also. What it turned out to be was the rivets that hold the clutch material to the backing plate failed. I split the tractor and repaired the main clutch plate with nuts and bolts.

Only to find after 20 more hours that it once again failed. This time when I split the tractor I researched the plates further and found that they both had been installed backwards from the factory. Also the bolts that I used were not grade 8 and failed.
This time I used grade 8 nuts and bolts and spot welded the nuts on, and made sure the plates were installed in the correct direction.
Now with over 300 hours on the tractor, know more clutch problems.
I have heard of this happening to others also...

I went through Ryan with jinmaparts.com and don't remember the main clutch plate costing over $ 75.00...

Yosemite Dan /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ 61 hrs and the clutch is gone! #15  
I know this ain't going to help much,,,but somebody's got to say it so.......I didn't think amish people used tractors??? the thing

/ 61 hrs and the clutch is gone! #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I didn't think amish people used tractors??? the thing )</font>

Ya might see a menenite on steel...

Soundguy

/ 61 hrs and the clutch is gone! #17  
Yeah,them mennanites drive and stuff,,,but they do all kinda look and dress alike,,,I'm a pure bred hillbilly myself,,we're just plain hetherens,well....... the thing

/ 61 hrs and the clutch is gone!
UPDATE!

I just called the dealer, and the problem described above related to rivets sounds like what was described to me. He said the clutch was beautiful, and had not been abused or misued at all (by the way, Amish DO use tractors...the guy that was using mine owns two of his own, which made me suspicious of this problem). So, the dealer told me that some part involving the central rivets failed, and the parts cost was going to be $28. He said the part just flat out failed, and allowed the clutch to just fall off. He's giving me a number to call and argue to try recover some of my costs. At the very least, he said they might cover the parts. The labor will be $360 or so.
If this happens again, I found another local guy that can crack it apart and will do it cheaper. He's a heavy equipment mechanic (rebuilds dozers, backhoes, etc.).
So...now can anyone reading this post explain to me what the problem likely was, based on my poor description. The dealer is going to fully explain it to me (and show me the broken parts) tonight when I go get the tractor.
Thanks
Todd K.

/ 61 hrs and the clutch is gone! #19  
Well glad you are getting,[got] it fixed,,that was pretty quick,,,you would think the whole thing would be under warrenty,,but musta been over the time limit??I mean if dealer admitted clutch hadn't been abused,,and with only 61 hrs.,,,come on,,this should be free and fast and done right,,,mine woulda been free at 61 hrs,,,,but the fast and done right part would of have to be remained to be seen,,,finding someone,,who might could do it or if you do that,,waiting till he has time,,,or do it yourself,,,,,on second thought would rather have your deal,,,,,,no dealers close to southern w.va. out there,,I don't think,,,[are any of you fix it type dealers for jinmas out there within a 2-3 hr trip of around Beckley,W.VA. ????],,,,,

At least a couple others have had same problem,I believe,,,seems like clutch was in backwards??,,,, thingy

/ 61 hrs and the clutch is gone! #20  
And you say the omish people drive tractors?? Must be different grades of omish??M aybe they have changed their minds on this issue in past few years,,,I know about 20 years ago,I was working up in pa.,,hooking up a lot of natural gas wells,,and most of them was on omish property,,,they didn't drive tractors then,,,horses only,,,now minnotites will use a motor driven thing,,like a tractor or car,,,or at least the ones I've been around will,,,thingy