61 hrs and the clutch is gone!

/ 61 hrs and the clutch is gone! #21  
I use to deliver feefd for Agway ( till they went bancrupt ) we delivered to many Amish and Mennonite farmers . They basically are the same, some only use horses and generators,some use tractors on steel and wagons and any implement can be on rubber but they dont have cars. Then the more modern have tractors on rubber and even drive automobiles. The oddest thing I ever saw was a big Case articulating tractor probably 150 hp on steel wheels!!I live in WNY and we have been having many Amish or Mennonite buying land and moving here from Ohio and Pa. They also have all ranges of farmers and some of them have even filed bancrupcy !

/ 61 hrs and the clutch is gone! #22  
Well I guess nothing stays the same,,,when I was working in north central,[I guess] pa.,,we hooked up about three gas wells on one omish guys farm,,made him roads,,built new fence,,and such for him,,,one day he came out and talked to us,,,these wells were high pressure/high producing wells,,[lotta money],,,we asked him about his minerial rights and such,,,,he told us,that he didn't personnally get a penny off this,,,it was the amish community, who got paid all the money,from what rights were owned,[and it was a good bit I think,25/50 % or something],,,if thats the case,,they probably made 1,000,000 dollars or something off these wells,[if they produced like they were supposed to],,almost make you want to switch churches,,,thing is though,,I don't think any individual had title to there farms,,the community did. Now they just used horses,,little kids walked across fields to the amish school,in their little get ups,horses and carrigages mopping down the road,,had to be carefull or you would have a hood full of amish buggy. There are a few mennonites around here,,now they drive cars and tractors,,,and have for a long while anyways,,maybe since there was cars and tractors,,,,yeah I guess things change,,,good thing for them,,,driving a buggy down a busy road now adays,,is asking to get run over,,,,,thingy

/ 61 hrs and the clutch is gone!
You're right in that there are sort of different "grades" of Amish. The guys near me are in Smicksburg, PA, and are considered somewhat on the conservative side. I think much of the deal is ownership versus use of tools. For example, the guy that came to build my barn asked me if I had power tools and I turned him loose with my Milwaukee power saws and all of my Milwaukee 18V cordless tools as well. I have a gas powered concrete mixer (an old 1 bagger) and they knew how to run that thing better than I did! I think the biggest shock, however, was watching them finger tip a big (and I mean BIG) Deere articulating loader around their lumber yard to load logs onto their sawmills. Trust me, these guys know how to use power tools and farm equipment. It's just often the case they're not allowed to own it.
Similar situation with telephones. They will use phones of nearby neighbors, or payphones, or sometimes even go in together to pay for a nearby phone in a shed (something akin to Mr. Douglas shimmying up the pole in Green Acres), but they won't have them in their houses. They also refuse to use a cell phone. All in all, I've found them to be excellent workers who take much pride in their work. I've gained an immense amount of respect for them and their lifestyle. Once you get to know them, they're just folks like the rest of us. Very admirable and honest, and the world could use more of them.

/ 61 hrs and the clutch is gone!
It was the center clutch section that broke. The rivets that hold the splined center section to the clutch disk just sheared off. The new part was $28.50 or so I think. I'll post pictures of the parts later and show everyone what happened. My tractor has only 61 hrs on it, but it's nearly a year and a half old and the warranty was only 6 months. The dealer told me the new ones were going to have 2 yr warranties, so this would have been covered if mine had fallen in that group. I'm still going to try to fight to get some of my costs back. No way that thing should have failed. The dealer told me that I had kept the tractor in excellent shape, and was doing everything just as I should be. The clutch was in excellent shape. Still, I'm out $400...so far. If I get further resolution I'll let you guys know.

/ 61 hrs and the clutch is gone! #25  
The Amish that dont drive cars but if you offer to take them to town for onething it many times ends up being many things . And they do have some lets say not so honerable clan members. Some of the young ones that are of age to drive get a licence without their parents knowing and then they get a car and keep it at a non Amish friends house.

/ 61 hrs and the clutch is gone! #26  
a lot of the things said here about the AMISH are not all that true.

I live and have lived in the heart of amish country for many years. (all of my life except when I was in active duty military.) I have worked with amish in building trades a lot too.

the sect of amish has more to do with the curch elders how much working equipment they can or cant use is strictly spelled out by the church and each area has their own clergy who make up the particular rules for the areas.

locally one sect is OLD SCHOOL for sure no working water inside the homes, no electricity no phones at all. school is also strick girls gho untill they are 12 and boys untill they are 14. at those ages they are then worke force for the fauther of the family. each family pays ties to the church, again it depends on the sect as to how much or low little. like someone said land is bought & owned by amish, but usually through a loan given by a rich member or the curch it's self. on some occasions banks get involved but I haven't witnessed that 1st hand.

also just a few miles east is the new generation of amish who use cell phones inside water electricity (if generated by them using diesle power plants on their own property) they weld using electricity have steam and or hydraulic shops bending forming welding and even powder coating. (we built a 175K powder coat system for one son of a well to do family that have a rather large surrounding area of work comming in.) http://www.haynncorp.com (click on the powder coating systems to see the photos of chupps powder coating. also they have buggies with wipers, lights & dropping catchers /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

they do drive in the new sect untill they turn 24 (the boys do anyhow) at that time they have to choose to remain amish or turn away and become english. the rules are very different for girls than boys though. if you have ever heard of AMISH OAK furnature or GERBERS (lumber, chicken ect.) as well as LEHMANS hardware ect all in kidron apple creek and wooster areas. these are the new age amish & use computers as well /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

again I live in amunst the OLD SECT amish though... kidron oh is about 45 min away that is where the orriginal matress factory gets the bed frames made in an industrilized factory all amish run /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As for the others Menonite they live very much like english do, driveing cars get jobs & work outside the community ect. only real difference is they choose the amish style of comunity church & keep a higher TIES to the church.

again each area church has different governing bodies with slightly different methods of inforcing the ways of life. & WHAT is and isnot acceptable.

anyhow just though some might want to know.

/ 61 hrs and the clutch is gone! #27  
Iinteresting,,,,weird too,,,can't figure out what their thought process is,,,,,,what I mean by that,,,is how any of that,,[motors,,cell phones ,electricity,,tractors,cars,,or being like the "english"],,has got to do with getting on the good side of our lord,,,don't want to start a religious lean to this clutch/amish thread,,,but had to say it,,,,thingy

/ 61 hrs and the clutch is gone! #28  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You're right in that there are sort of different "grades" of Amish. The guys near me are in )</font>

My father hunts on some land owned by Huterites ( hooterites? ) they are very similar to menninites... use tractors.. etc. The women usually backe and sew goods to sell to the visitors who are hunting their land. The farmer will go in with an old tractor and fel and haul out the carcasses for ya.

Soundguy

Soundguy