Clutch life?

/ Clutch life? #1  

andyspain

Bronze Member
Tractor
JM284
Hi all, Clutch life obviously it's different for all, but I would like to know what the maximum life could be? My 284 now has 126 hours and I have no clutch problems. My de clutching leg is vastly more muscular than the other, but then some people pay for that kind of physical exercise.

/ Clutch life? #2  
My YM240 racked up over a 1000 hours on it's original clutch, which was still working fine when I sold it last year.

But there have been at least two size clutches installed in these 200 series Jinmas. I'm told they basically started out as an 18hp tractor, and bloated over time up to 25/28 hp iterations - without any significant change to the driveline internals. As a result, the original small clutches suffered a decreased life expectancy.

Hopefully you got the later/larger upgrade clutch. With luck, maybe it will match the longevity of my old Yanmar.

//greg//

/ Clutch life? #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( without any significant change to the driveline internals. As a result, the original small clutches )</font>

I'm curious. Any idea of the size of the clutch plate? The old fords I collect have a 9" dry SS clutch.. same clutch as the early ford vehicles.. model 'A' perhaps.

Not uncommon to see tractors from the 40's and 50's with very worn clutches.. probably 1000-4000 hours, etc.

Are the jinma clutches smaller? Are they wet or dry?

Soundguy

/ Clutch life? #4  
No, just that some of the earlier imports had the smaller one. Both are dry

//greg//

/ Clutch life? #5  
<font color="red"> I would like to know what the maximum life could be? </font>

Lots of old Ford and Oliver tractors from the 1950s are still running with their original clutch, but just as many have had them replaced. I'd say it is not uncommon for them to last a decade or more.

/ Clutch life? #6  
<font color="blue"> Clutch life obviously it's different for all, but I would like to know what the maximum life could be? My 284 now has 126 hours and I have no clutch problems. </font>

Hey Andy,

Barring contaminants getting on the clutch disks. I would say that minimizing clutch slippage is the key to clutch durability.

Anytime that a clutch is released or engaged, slippage results and especially when engageing the clutch under a heavy work load.

That is why i try my hardest to engage my empliments after I have fully released the clutch pedal and try to have my empliments disengaged before I disengage the clutch. It is not always possible to do this, but this is what I strive for.

Using a Front End Loader, I can see, could easily result in a lot of Clutch Slippage, under heavy load.

Have a nice day,
Joe /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Clutch life? #7  
My 16 year old Kubota with 8000 hours is still running with it's original clutch.

/ Clutch life? #8  
The few cases of premature clutch disk failure I have seen have all involved heavy use (abuse) of front end loader. Clear ing land of small trees by pushing them over, pushing large piles of used roofing shingles, etc. It is VERY EASY to slip the clutch during this type of operation and it does not take much slipping to burn the clutch. Also operating the tractor without the required 1" of free pedal travel can lead to the clutch slipping and throw out bearing failure as well as grinding down the operating fingers.

I tell my customer, when you are moving keep your left foot OFF the pedal. If you ahve to step on the clutch to slow down or keep from stalling, then use a lower gear.

/ Clutch life? #9  
clutch life is almost entirely dependent on the operators "touch". Some will go thru a clutch quickly, and others will almost never wear out a clutch. 200k on the origional clutch in my auto.

Ben

/ Clutch life?
Thanks gents. If I get 1000 hours I'll be more than happy. I do actually use the FL a lot. I must say the clutch on the Jinma is very strong. Even in four wheel drive the tractor will not stall when it's stopped. The wheels start spinning. It must be quite hard to destroy one prematurely. Although I can understand that some people may be tempted to slip the clutch to make up for the brakes. I have a BH, when I stop on a hill I put the arms of the hoe down and lift the rear end off the floor. I did that one night and didn't leave the 284 in gear, it had slipped back about a meter the following day because it had dropped on to it's wheels during the night. We live and learn my friends. All the best Andy