Oil & Fuel KAMA fuel line bleeding

/ KAMA fuel line bleeding #1  

Paddy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, G5200, KAMA 454
OK, first issue. I blew a fuel line and I can't find how to bleed the system in the manuals. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

See attached photo. I know this is Diesel 101 but, I'm lost.

Thanks for any help.

Patrick

Attachments

• 661376-injector center.jpg
    661376-injector center.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 307
   / KAMA fuel line bleeding
Here is another view. I know this must be quite easy...if I could see what I was doing.

Thanks again,

Patrick

Attachments

• 661379-injector pump.jpg
    661379-injector pump.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 310
   / KAMA fuel line bleeding #3  
Mine blew the same hose, with only eight hours on the tractor. The fuel level in your filter housing is probably down.
1. remove fuel filter housing
2. fill housing with fuel and replace
3. follow the flexible fuel line from the filter to the injection pump (not back to the fuel pump)
4. loosen banjo fitting at input to injection pump
5. use hand primer till bubbles turn into steady fuel flow
6. tighten banjo fitting
7. loosen all hard lines at the upper compression fittings
8. use starter motor to crank the injection pump
9. tighten each compression fitting as bubbles turn into fuel flow.
10. by the time the last fitting is tightened, engine should start (if it hasn't already)

//greg//

/ KAMA fuel line bleeding #4  
O.K., now i am worried. Chip, have you seen many of these hoses blow? i am wondering if i should replace mine with better hose before it blows and not have to deal with all the extra bleeding and just bleed the new hose.

Schmalts,

Any one who has a Diesel should know how to do this. I have had another diesel and have been lucky not to do this yet.

I'm sure it's no more diffacult than bleeding breaks (much easyer to get to though!)

/ KAMA fuel line bleeding #6  
Paddy ... the rubber return line on my 454 is very badly deteriorated after 50 hrs. I'm assuming that is what blew on yours? The picture looks like you just replace the hose using the existing banjo fittings with hose clamps .. is that correct? If so thats what I do on mine b4 it goes ... Scozz

/ KAMA fuel line bleeding #7  
Wow, you gotta get up pretty early (or stay up late I guess) to have a chance to help here! that's good.
When bleeding, not necessary to remove fuel filter just open vent on top, pump till fuel comes out, them pump some more to push air through back into tank.
This hose is a problem on KM454 only, the KM554 inj. pump is designed with a hard line here, but it is not interchangable with the KM454. This is a "low pressure" line and can be repaird as Paddy has done, the crimps can be cut off the banjoe fittings and the banjo itself reused. some have gone to auto parts stores and had new crimps put on. The hose the factory uses here is not any good, this hose is exposed to sunlight which does not seem to help this type of rubber.

/ KAMA fuel line bleeding #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( When bleeding, not necessary to remove fuel filter just open vent on top, pump till fuel comes out, them pump some more to push air through back into tank.)</font>

Talking firsthand experience here Chip - when my hose blew, the filter housing was pretty much drained by the time I got back with the repaired hose. Takes a helluva lot of pumping with the hand primer to fill that thing, it's faster to remove/refill/replace/bleed

Don't trust my hearing aids either, as I have never been able to hear what you describe as the sound of fuel spilling back into the tank via the return line. The visual of seeing fuel run out the banjo input to the injection pump is much more reassuring.

//greg//

/ KAMA fuel line bleeding #9  
opening the vent on top of the fuel filter should let gravity fill the filter without removing it, of course it won't hur anythng to take it off and fill it up. You are correct the filter must be full befroe the rest of hte bleeding process can be effective...

JInmas a little different because flow is from tank to lift pump then filter but on the KM it is tank to filter to lift pump.

Well, once again you guys made this a 5 min job. As you tighten the injector lines she fired right up. She ran rough for about 5 sec.

With in an hour I was moving 20 tons of gravel I had droped. I'd show a pix but it's dark now and who hasn't seen a parking lot?

I did just take the Saw-all and cut off the cripms. A standard $2.00 1/4" ID fuel line slide right over the barbed fitting on the banjo.

Thanks Greg and Chip,

Patrick