Jinma 254 slow turnover

/ Jinma 254 slow turnover #1  

rkevis

I have a Jinma 254 and it won't start .Ran fine for 100 hours.
It cranks over very slowly ,battery ,connections and starter are all good .
It seems something is binding in the engine.Turns over a little faster when decompression lever is engaged.Can turn over by hand via PTO but hard.
Any suggestions ?
What is the price of a new block?
thanks
Ray Kevis

/ Jinma 254 slow turnover #2  
The hydraulic system is a closed loop, and fluid must be moving whenever the engine is running. Stopping/restricting that flow can back up pump pressure to the point where it overwhelms the engine.

Check the hydraulic quick disconnect just aft of the pump. If it's not seated properly, it will produce the symptoms you describe. If that doesn't do it, remove the pump itself and start the engine. If that doesn't do it, then you can scratch hydraulics off the list and start looking elsewhere.

//greg//

/ Jinma 254 slow turnover #3  
Well if you say battery,starter,all connections,,are good,,than I guess they are,,how do you know that though?? And does something lead you to believe it could be something else??If so,,,what leads you to believe that?,,and of course it should turn over faster with decompression thing turned,,motor won't make compression,,,but just that fact,[motor will turn over],,should tell you it ain't in the motor],,,well,,,probably not??? thingy

/ Jinma 254 slow turnover
Disconnected the FEL. Same slow turnover .
Removed Hydraulic pump . Same.
New Battery -Had the Starter checked by rebuilder- OK
I hate to think it but could a bad bearing bind things ?
I'm going to try to turn the motor by hand using a strap wrench on the crankshaft pulley.I had to loosen the belt to pull the pump so the pully is accessible to a strap wrench.
Thanks for the input -I don't feel so alone.

/ Jinma 254 slow turnover #5  
There has got to be more to the story??? I mean,,if it ran allright,,than one day just wouldn't start,,,how do you think its not the starting system??? You got starter checked,and somebody says its ok,,,how about silanoid?? I mean unless you ran it out of oil or something like that,,,I bet its the starting system,,,[somewhere],,,,thingy

/ Jinma 254 slow turnover #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Same slow turnover . )</font>
I hate to think engine too. But all is not lost yet. You've got a two stage clutch on that thing, and odds are good you're probably trying to start it with the gear shift in neutral. But did you think to disengage the PTO driveline as well? If the PTO clutch plate is stuck, simply kicking in the foot clutch won't disengage it. As long as you're getting the wrenches out, turn the rear PTO spline to confirm that it's not turning with the flywheel.

//greg//

/ Jinma 254 slow turnover
Yep the PTO was engaged . I disengaged it , turned it and same slow turnover.

/ Jinma 254 slow turnover #8  
Well,,,I would disconnect starter battery,,ground, all them things,,and clean contact sufaces real good,,,if that didn't work,,,would hook it up to a good battery jumper/starter,,and turn it up,,if I had to,,,would then take all fuses out,,make sure they are clean,,[the connections,,that is one of the connections,,right?],,,can't figure out why you think motor is binded,,,thingy

/ Jinma 254 slow turnover #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Yep the PTO was engaged . I disengaged it , turned it and same slow turnover. )</font>
Well, a weak/dying starter motor can give the impression of drag too. Any chance of push starting it?

//greg//

/ Jinma 254 slow turnover #10  
How about checking the voltage drop between the battery and starter? Do you have a voltmeter?
You should have around 12.6 volts across the battery, put the voltmeter on the starter battery lug and see what the voltage is when you turn it over, should be no more than 2 volts less than battery. I hope it is not the engine also!