Reversing Wheels?

/ Reversing Wheels? #1  

hbaird

Silver Member
Tractor
Jinma JM200LE
How many have reversed their tractor wheels for greater stability? I have some slopes and would like greater safety. How much wider is the track? What are the disadvantages?
Harold

/ Reversing Wheels? #2  
Mine are like they come from northern,,,I bet you I at least equal you as far as hills go,,,just got to know where you can go sideling and where you have to go up and down,,if your carefull,,it will take a pretty steep degree sideling,,,more than my pecker factor can,,I know that,,,,,,others have said that you don't want to increase front width,,might break front end axil??,,,don't know,,,but do know this,,,my 5 ft brush hog and 5 ft tiller,,barly cover tracks on my 254,,if I made rear wider,,they wouldn't,,that is reason enough for me not to...thingy

/ Reversing Wheels? #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How many have reversed their tractor wheels for greater stability? I have some slopes and would like greater safety. How much wider is the track? What are the disadvantages?
Harold )</font>

Hey Harold,

On my little 224, the rear wheels are spread almost as much as possible, but I could make them a little bit wider if I flipped the inner hub plate around. The rear wheels on mine is about right for a 5ft box blade.

What I really wanted to do was, switch the front wheels, but too many told me that it put too much pressure on the front axle on the 4WD. So I didn't do it. I have heard allready too many problems with front ends, and it just wasn't worth the risk to me. However if mine were a 2wd, then I would spread the front wheels out.

Have a nice day,
Joe /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Reversing Wheels? #4  
I meant to type pucker factor,,,,,not pecker factor,,,,,now pecker factor is a whole new conversation,,,,,pucker factor is,,,well you know.........I really crack me up,,,,the thing

/ Reversing Wheels? #5  
I flipped my hubs on the back tires and have them as wide as possible. I don't know for sure how much width you get but I do feel more comfortable on slopes. As Dick said though a 5' tiller will not cover tire tracks.

Mark H

/ Reversing Wheels? #6  
I flipped my front wheels, can't see why it should make that much difference to the axle. I can not say I feel any safer because I flipped them from new. I had already browsed this site for advice and at that time things looked in favor of flipping. Flipping your front wheels puts them in line with the rear ones; I kind of like that because that means if I can get through with my nose I can follow through with my rear end. Unfortunately, if you have a FL that is, the bucket is now somewhat on the narrow side. I had my bucket widened to one centimeter more than the tractor width on each side, so now I can clear all before me. Expensive, yes, but I too don't like the feeling that I'm going to topple over. You go for it; my 284 works very hard if the axle was going to break it would have done so by now, I am sure.

/ Reversing Wheels? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I flipped my front wheels, can't see why it should make that much difference to the axle. .... You go for it; my 284 works very hard if the axle was going to break it would have done so by now, I am sure. )</font>

There is a growing number of 4wd Jinma owners who've repaired/replaced their front drives that may take exception to that advice. Most of them said they were FEL equipped.

Although not clearly expressed - it IS in the owner's manual. In mine at least. Of the entire 200 series, only the JM220 and JM250 front tread width is classified as adjustable (by means of a "step-through extension sleeve housing").

My manual indicates the JM180/184/200/204/224/254 (and by extension the 284) are all categorized as "non-adjustable". Your JM284 was engineered with a 1050mm fixed front wheel width. It's apparent they don't consider reversing the front wheel rims an option either.

That said, the manual is a few years old. If there's someone out there with a newer version............?

//greg//