New Jinma 254 - Help please!

/ New Jinma 254 - Help please! #1  

pasturesnew

Hi All,

I've just assembled my 254-in-a-crate over the weekend. It is factory stamped March 2005 and has the integrated instrument cluster with 5+2 rocker switches (labelled A-G). The manuals supplied seem to be older versions and have not been much help, so I have a few problems / questions I hope you may be kind enough to help me with:

1) When I turn the ignition switch to H (preheat) the 30A fuse labelled ammeter (top position) blows. The 30A fuse labelled preheat (bottom position) is fine. The ammeter fuse does NOT blow if I turn straight to start - engine fires up OK. Have I wired the ignition switch wrong?

2) There are no front sidelights or dipped headlights - all four front lamps come on when switched by the 'main beam' switch B. The sidelights switch (C) only illuminates the rear lights. Switch B is single position - how do you get dipped lights?

3) Related to above, can anyone provide an up-to-date wiring diagram?

4) Where are the drain plugs for the front axle, transmission and rear axle? (Mine don't match the manual diagrams).

5) I can't find a grease point for the water pump. Has Jinma switched to sealed units?

6) The battery now seems to sit in a cage immediately behind, and level with, the front weights. But there don't seem to be any clamps to stop it shaking around. Are these missing or I am expected to fabricate some?

All responses gratefully received!

/ New Jinma 254 - Help please! #2  
Well,lets start somewheres,,,don't need [can't grease water pump] on the 254,,,mine anyways,,no grease fitting,,just for some 204's,,,, drain plugs,,,,front axil,,little tiny square plugs,,located middle and each end,,,be carefull,,paint makes them to tight and they are small,,,,,trans,,,,in front of sliding hitch thing,,two bolts,,can't miss them,,and on bottom of forward differental...maybe another one but thats all I ever took out,,,,,,there is none for rear axil,,,trans.,,,covers that,,,my northern manual tells all this with pictures,,,where did you buy yours from?????oh,,thats right,,a crate special,,love it,,,,,can't help you with rest.....thingy

/ New Jinma 254 - Help please! #3  
1. Very common to have something other than the required 30A system fuse in new machines. There should be a spare 30A fuse (green). That should fix your problem.

2. If you've got H3 bulbs, there's only one brightness level. If you've got H4, you've wired up the switch wrong. Can't help you with the ABCs, sorry. Usually all lighting (less work light) is on a 2-position switch, and rear work light is on a single position switch. Sidelights? You mean they're not there? or don't work?

3. Sorry. If you've got a 2005 tractor, nobody's gonna have books newer than those that came with yours.

4. not to sound patronizing, but you might be reading the manual wrong.
Ordinarily I'd expect three drains on the front end; normal one in the center pumpkin, one small one on the bottom of each drive hub.
Creeper/shuttle; one, above the drive shaft.
Tranny; one, left side of the transfer case.
Rear diff; one for sure - maybe two - underside of the diff housing, all the way to the back

5. Sorry. Does your manual SAY there's supposed to be a fitting? Sometimes it's just a hole (need a grease gun adapter). Or you may be right about it being a sealed unit.

6. I've heard this complaint before, most folks find their own way to secure the battery.

//greg//

/ New Jinma 254 - Help please! #4  
1) When I turn the ignition switch to H (preheat) the 30A fuse labelled ammeter (top position) blows. The 30A fuse labelled preheat (bottom position) is fine. The ammeter fuse does NOT blow if I turn straight to start - engine fires up OK. Have I wired the ignition switch wrong?

2) There are no front sidelights or dipped headlights - all four front lamps come on when switched by the 'main beam' switch B. The sidelights switch (C) only illuminates the rear lights. Switch B is single position - how do you get dipped lights?

5) I can't find a grease point for the water pump. Has Jinma switched to sealed units?

6) The battery now seems to sit in a cage immediately behind, and level with, the front weights. But there don't seem to be any clamps to stop it shaking around. Are these missing or I am expected to fabricate some?

All responses gratefully received! )</font>

Hey Pastures,

On my 224, someone had the wrong size/10A fuse in the preheat slot and I had to put in a 30a to prevent it from blowing.

On my 224, there is no lower beam switch either, but they are brighter than the headlights in my pickup truck. I would like to be able to aim them better, but have not seen an ajustment for that yet. And all 4 up front on mine turn on at the same time also.

I haven't been able to find a grease fitting on my water pump either, but I haven't been looking for a hole, so maybe I better take a better look.

Battery holder seems to be the same as mine with no hold down strap. Mine is a sealed battery and I didn't think that a hold down strap was really needed, as it does have a bar across the top of the holder to keep the battery from coming out. However the battery terminals did not have a plastic cover, so I went by Advance Auto and bought a Positive and Negative plastic cover to shield the Battery terminals, just in case the battery ever did get jolted upwards enough to make contact with the chassis. A hold down strap would be best though, and I may install one later on.

I know that I missed some of the Question #'s, but my small brain is running low and I now have to go get recharged.

It would be helpful, if I had some of Dick's Moonshine. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Hey Dick, will MoonShine work as fuel in a combustible engine?

I think Greg and Dick, covered most of the other #'s.

Did you get shuttle shift with your 254?

Get Your Tractors Running &
Have a nice day,
Joe /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ New Jinma 254 - Help please!
Many thanks 'thingy', Joe and Greg for your prompt and helpful replies.

The system fuse was 30A and green. So was the replacement and the one after that .... they just keep blowing if I try to start with pre-heat. Fortunately it is about 70F here so starting OK. But need to get it sorted before the winter, so please keep suggesting!

You 3 dealt with other points fine. My Chinese manuals don't differentiate between a plug and a bolt. Most of the plugs you mentioned are fitted with shake-proof steel washers, not copper or rubber, so I assumed they were mounting bolts /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Another one for you: There is a gas spring fitted to hold the hood open. Problem is it won't close - if I press hard, the fibreglass just bends - and I guess it is too strong for the light body. For now, just using it as a prop.

Again many, many thanks - you guys are really kind to take the trouble to reply.

/ New Jinma 254 - Help please! #6  
Try unhooking the glow plugs from the 12v and see if your fuse still blows, you must have something touching ground to blow a 30 amp fuse. Hook them back up one at a time trying to heat until you find which one is the faulty glow plug. All of the electrical connections seem to have paint under the crimp fittings and should be removed. Since you bought a crate tractor, I would assume that you'll have to buy a new gas shock.

Thank you, Bill.

I'll try your suggestion as soon as it stops raining /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Re. the gas shock, the deal is parts only warranty for one year. To minimise shipping cost, I'm hoping to identify all the problems and then request the whole batch.

Thanks again.
ACM

/ New Jinma 254 - Help please! #8  
If you have a multimeter you could also check the circuit to ground and see what reading you get. I didn't know how the warranty thing would work on a crate tractor. I got the 284 LE , it's the same tractor as the 254, did you get shuttle shift? Mine has it and I really like it so far, I have about 100 hours. You'll have a few bugs to work out but they are good solid tractors for the money. What did the crate tractor cost, if you don't mind me asking?

Hi Bill,

Have multi, will try.

Crate supplied by Jinma UK for GBP 2950 plus tax, total equiv to about USD 6300 at present forex rate. Shipping to SW France cost extra USD 1200. Still a lot cheaper than buying in France, where Jinma is still virtually unknown - I was quoted USD 10,000 as a special offer for 2 cyl 204.

Agree it seems good value for money. Equivalent Kubota etc would cost much more than we could justify spending and I don't need hydrostatic etc. Planned use is mostly round stable yard but do need 4x4 and ROP for odd jobs on our clay slopes.

Thanks again for your kind help.
ACM

/ New Jinma 254 - Help please! #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The system fuse was 30A and green. So was the replacement and the one after that .... they just keep blowing if I try to start with pre-heat. )</font>

Either a dead short in the glow plug circuit, or a bad ignition switch - neither an uncommon problem. Glow plug resistance is tricky to measure, best done after being removed/cleaned/tested at room temp. More likely a wiring short or a bad wafer in the switch. See attachment for my Jinma switch mod.

When struts go bad, the problem is usually the opposite of yours - in that they leak down almost immediately. Your problem sounds more like the rod is bent, or that the hood end bracket is out of alignment. Either can make it extremely difficult to compress.

//greg//

Attachments

• 663164-Ford switch.pdf
    63.5 KB · Views: 286