spin on suction filter

/ spin on suction filter #1  

jinmared

Bronze Member
Tractor
Jinma 354 fwd
Check out the cool adaptation for a spin on suction filter on the CTOA board. The guy did really good work!

/ spin on suction filter #2  
Hi,

I think I am that Guy.

Here is a copy of the post for your enjoyment.

In a previous post in the CTOA forum I had mentioned that the brand new OEM Suction Strainer was falling apart. And that I had fashioned a temporary one using screen door screen. The parts I ordered to replace it with a spin on suction filter arrived and this weekend I completed the retrofit.

Attached and below are some photos showing how this all went together.

1. Remove the Chinese metric threaded Banjo bolt tube & fitting.
2. Remove the OEM suction strainer 3 bolt mounting plate.
3. Remove the other end of the suction tube underneath the tractor at the bulk
head fitting.
4. Make a new 3 bolt mounting plate tapped for 3/4" NPT to accept a standard
hydraulic fitting.
5. Cut the metal tube off near where the OEM fitting is underneath the tractor.
6. Weld a 3/4" NPT threaded fitting onto the tube so as to adapt to SAE threads.
7. Install the new Mounting plate, Suction filter, associated fittings and 3/4"
suction hose about 18" long.

Please note the spin on suction STRAINER is 150 micron size. The assembly is specifically made for suction lines and is manufactured with a bypass for when the fluid temp is extremely cold so as not to starve or damage the pump under cold starting conditions. Comparable Return line FILTERS are not suitable for this application as they are 10 micron in size and are designed to operate under the return hydraulic pressure and not suction.

Attachments

• 672701-Suction Filter.JPG
    672701-Suction Filter.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 313
   / spin on suction filter #3  
Parts used & home made to make the mount.

Attachments

• 672702-Suction Strainer Mount.JPG
    672702-Suction Strainer Mount.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 311
   / spin on suction filter #4  
Overall Photo with some more details.

Attachments

• 672707-Spin on Suction Strainer.JPG
    672707-Spin on Suction Strainer.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 339
   / spin on suction filter #5  
Detail of the Hydraulic connections underneath the tractor to adapt to the Chinese Metric O-Ring fitting tube.

Attachments

• 672708-Suction Strainer Hose and Pipe connection.JPG
    672708-Suction Strainer Hose and Pipe connection.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 270
   / spin on suction filter #6  
GugliolS - Very fine and professional job on your hydraulic filter. I'm impressed with the suction mounting plate. Beautiful workmanship on Goldie. If it's not top secret information, would consider posting the filter and adaptor mount's numbers? Thanks again for this post. Yugo

/ spin on suction filter #7  
The spin on Suction strainer is from Northern Tool:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=24414&R=24414

The Fittings are

2, Straight Swivel adapters 3/4"male NPTF x 3/4" Female Swivel NPSM (Northern 51ASC012)

1, 90* Swivel adapter 3/4" x 3/4" Northern 51ARC012

1, 3/4" x 3/4" Female coupling Northern 51CSF012

1, 3/4" x 3/4" Male Coupling Northern 51CSM012

1, 1/2" male X 3/4" female reducer Northern 51CSC128 (this is what I used to weld on to the Chinese Pipe to convert to SAE) You must cut & weld the Chinese Pipe - must be a good gas tight weld ! I used MIG .023 wire with 75% Argon 25% Carbon Dioxide @ 70 amps very slow wire feed.

1, 3/4" Hydraulic hose with 3/4" NPT Male Fittings about 18-24" ? Long (Measure for your application)

Rubberized Gasket material

3/8" to 1/2" thick flat bar or plate steel about 3-1/2" square to make the adapter plate. This was home made in my basement shop with a band saw, drill press, grinder, & my 3/4" NPT tap. I just traced the old suction strainer plate onto the flat steel. And used a transfer punch to center the mounting holes. Very simple fabrication with basic tools. (Except for the MIG) Which I purchased from Harbor Freight reconditioned for an outrageous low price. Must have been someone who couldn't figure out how to use it and sent it back.

Anyway hope this helps.

Larry