Buying Advice Advise Needed

/ Advise Needed #1  

hodgepodge

I am considering purchasing a small tractor. I would like to purchase the smallest and cheapest tractor that could be equiped with an underbelly mower, fel, and backhoe. We own 2 acres and would use the tractor to mow lawn, dig trenches and move dirt. I live in Southern Michigan near Ann Arbor. I have been looking at the jimna tractors but most of the web sites claim to have the best jimna tractors and that I should be careful because some of the dealers tractors are not as good. I also would want turf tires. Where would be the best place to purchase the tractor. I am a decent mechanic and would be able to assemble a crate tractor. I used to own a Massey Ferguson to 35, which broke often, so I have worked on tractors before.

/ Advise Needed #2  
Can't really give advise but I am very happy with a Jinma 284 with Jinam FEL & BH. My dealer www.4jinma.com, Shelden Tractor in Tn, did a good job with mine and I think the price was fair. I am sure any of the more local Jinma guys I see posting here will treat you right.

It is capable and although I have not used it much I am very satisfied with the quality of the machine.

Charlie

/ Advise Needed #3  
O belive there are a few dealers near you..

check Johns's site for a list, I thin kTOMMY and ADAMS tractors are near you?>

anyhow they are good tractor byt may be more than 2 acres needs a 20 hp unit is plenty for sure as grass cutting is it's primary use then I would thing a MOWER which is tractor 2nd these are tractors 1st and mowers about 4th...

Mark M

/ Advise Needed #4  
Sounds like Mark is having some fun on the 4th ! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Advise Needed #5  
<font color="blue"> I would like to purchase the smallest and cheapest tractor that could be equiped with an underbelly mower, fel, and backhoe. We own 2 acres and would use the tractor to mow lawn, dig trenches and move dirt. </font>

Hey hodgepodge,

Probably a 224 or a 254 should be sufficient for work on your size place, IMHO. I would also suggest that you get 4wd. Jinma does offer a belly mower, but I'm not sure if it will mount on a 4wd. I'm sure others here will know about that though. Be sure to get PS, if you go 2wd, but I myself would not suggest getting a 2wd, as the 4wd, just has so much more traction ability ove te 2wd. If you don't have too many obstacles to go around, then a 3PH finishing mower, should be fine.

I myself have a 224, which is a 20 hp, and some say that it is a 22hp. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif It is doing a good job for me on my 7acre place, although, I haven't hooked up a 3pH mower to it yet. But evntually I will be doing that also.

It seems to me, that you are trying to do about the same thing that I am doing, and that is to purchase a tractor to do all of the maintenance chores at your place, and that is what I als intend to do with mine.

Keep in mind though, that a belly mower or a finishing mower, will be about 1K, and you could also have an inexpensive riding mower for that amount also to do your grass cutting. So you do have a couple of options to choose from for your grass cutting. I myself, still have an older MTD ridig mower that I can use, untill, I get a 3PH mower for the Jinma 224.

Be sure to get the OEM spring seat for your Jinma. If I were going to get the backhoe, and if th swivel seat does not have the spring suspension, then I would get both seats and just put the swivel seat on when I was going to be using the backhoe.

Get Your Tractors running &
Have a nice day,
Joe /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Advise Needed #6  
The Jinma belly mower runs off the rear pto, not a mid-pto like most belly mowers. The Jinma does not have a mid-pto. Get a 3pt rear finish mower, instead of the Jinma belly mower. Many recommend the rear discharge over side discharge.

/ Advise Needed
Thank you for the help. I need the tractor to put in a drain field, fill in a very large hole (used to be a deep swimming pool, about 30' round and 6' deep) by digging a pond in the back. I also have a stream at the rear of the property which i would like to deepen. You are right, it would make more sense to continue cutting the grass with a mower. Which Jimna model is the smallest I can put a backhoe on?

/ Advise Needed #9  
I have seen backhoes installed on as small as 184. The Koyker backhoe is a little ligher and much smoother operating.
PM me if you would like a quote on a "demo" 184 I will tell you the story and offer you a great price with Koyker 140 loader. we can order a backhoe for it, only problem is I am in Arkansas. Wouldn't mind visiting Michigan, from South Lyon myself, let me know if you have an interest.

/ Advise Needed #10  
I have to agree with buying a 4WD model. I have the 284 with turf tires and the 4WD has been a life saver on numerous occasions. While the turf tires grip well, it's amazing how often I can get the tires to spin on both dry and wet ground. I reach down, pop it in 4wd and I'm unstuck.

Be careful when moving dirt with the FEL. Don't use 4WD while pushing into a dirt pile and lifting or you'll break the front differential.