3-Point Hitch 3pt Hitch Dirt Scoop

/ 3pt Hitch Dirt Scoop #1  

JINMA224XR

Gold Member
Tractor
2004 JINMA 224XR, (1990 SHINNIU 254/sold)
Hello Forum,

I'm planning on getting a 3PTH Dirt Scoop, for my Jinma 224. My options are 24", 30", 36".

I will need to be able to turn the scoop around, from time to time, so that I can scoop forward or backwards.

Does anyone know which is the largest size that I can use on my Jinma224?

Get Your Tractors Running &
Have a nice day,
Joe /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ 3pt Hitch Dirt Scoop #2  
I sucessfully use a 30" on a yanmar 1700 and that's a bit smaller than a jinma 2xx ( The 30" was a bit big for the 1700 )

Soundguy

/ 3pt Hitch Dirt Scoop
<font color="blue"> I sucessfully use a 30" on a yanmar 1700 and that's a bit smaller than a jinma 2xx ( The 30" was a bit big for the 1700 ) </font>

Hey SoundGuy,

That's the same size that I used on a Shinniu 254, and it worked really well, but that tractor had 25hp and this one has 20hp on the engine plate and some say that it is 22, but I lean more to the 20hp side myself.

My real concern, is, if I have the scoop turned to scoop in the forward direction, whether it will clear the drawbar. I guess I need to take some measurements, from the ends of the lifting arms, to the draw bar.

It looks like it's going to be a choice between a King Kutter and a Howse brand. Do you have any preference? I've had a KK before and it seemed to be made pretty well. KK, uses angle iron, where the Howse uses some round tubing in it's construction.

Most people have gone to front end loaders, but they are out of my budget right now.

Hope your Tractor gets a ribbon in the Car Show /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Get your Tractors Running &
Have a nice day,

/ 3pt Hitch Dirt Scoop #4  
One of my neighbors had a 30" that he used on a 750 John Deere and he said it worked OK. It's a 2WD but I don't know the hp. I believe that they turn around within their own frame without going any farther forward. It might be tougher to dump facing forward though (because of the height of the tph)

/ 3pt Hitch Dirt Scoop
<font color="blue"> It's a 2WD but I don't know the hp. I believe that they turn around within their own frame without going any farther forward. It might be tougher to dump facing forward though (because of the height of the tph) </font>

Hey Bill,

That's the size that I had on my 254 Shinniu, years ago. They call these 3ph dirt scoops, "Poor Man's Front End Loader". /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif They are not nearly as good as a front end loader, but they only cost about 200 to 265, depending on size and brand, and they get the job done, but takes longer. They sure do beat the heck out of a shovel and wheelbarrow though. Another asset, is that the weight is kept on the rear axle and not on the front end.

The scoops have 2 sets of hitch pins, and to switch direction of scoop, just unhook and turn the whole unit around and then rehook.

My main concern, is Whether, the scoop will clear the drawbar in the forward scooping direction, with the 30 incher. I'll have to take some measurements before making the purchase.

Thanks &
Have a nice day,

/ 3pt Hitch Dirt Scoop #6  
Joe,
We've had one of those dirt scoops for many years, and use it quite often. We used to use it behind an 8N Ford, and now use it on my Jimna 284. The scoop is a Ford/derborn. To my surprise it would not hook up to the Jimna. The scoop is 24 inches wide, and it hit the inner lower 3 point arms. The Jimna is narrower at the tractor side of the lower arms than the Ford is. So, we had to extend the 3 point mounting out farther in order to clear the 3 point arms. One word of caution: When in the reverse postition, backing in to a dirt pile, use a slow speed and soft throttle. (Talking from experience) See attachment for the modifications. Sorry it never got painted! Yugo

Attachments

• 694357-100_0745-2.jpg
    694357-100_0745-2.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,220
   / 3pt Hitch Dirt Scoop
<font color="blue"> We've had one of those dirt scoops for many years, and use it quite often. We used to use it behind an 8N Ford, and now use it on my Jimna 284. The scoop is a Ford/derborn. To my surprise it would not hook up to the Jimna. The scoop is 24 inches wide, </font>

Hey Bill,

Now that is a good heavy duty dirt scoop. No rust buildup on yours, as you are using it too often, for the metal to oxidize, and even if it does, your metal is so thick, that, it wouldn't hurt it at all. Did you'all have to remove your swinging drawbar in order to have enough clearance?

This will be my 3rd dirt scoop over the years, and have 2 options this go around, between a Howse/Tubular & Angle iron frame vesus a King Kutter/All Angle Iron Frame. I can get the 24" Howse for $200 or the 24" King Kutter for $255 or the 30"King Kutter for $265. My last one was a King Kutter brand, and it seemed tobe a little better constructed than the Tubular type, but what really counts, is, The one that works best in dumping and loading up.

If someone would come up with a hydralic cylinder setup on these things, for dumping and loading, seems to me that it would be so much more better.

Thanks &
Have a nice day,

/ 3pt Hitch Dirt Scoop #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I guess I need to take some measurements, from the ends of the lifting arms, to the draw bar.
)</font>

And do measure to see if you have lift arm clearance.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ell, but that tractor had 25hp and this one has 20hp on the engine plate and some say that it is 22, but I lean more to the 20hp side myself.
)</font>

That yanmar 1700.. may be up as high as 21hp.. though.. I also think it is lower ..still.. the 30" was fine even at that hp.. and I'm 2wd.. If it will fit, I think you have plenty of 'tractor' for it.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( King Kutter and a Howse brand. Do you have any preference? )</font>

I happen to have a KK.. it's built like a rock.. that said.. that tube frame ont he howse looks darn sturdy. If it wer me, buying again.. I'd go with the less expensive model.. as either look plenty strong to lift a full load of dirt.

I used to haul load after load of dirt around to level my back yard.. dozens of yards of dirt.. 1 scoop at a time. I lifted enough to make my tractor front end light untill I added front weight. I'd say i was lifting 500# of soil pretty easilly.. so the scoop is built fine.. etc.

soundguy

/ 3pt Hitch Dirt Scoop
<font color="blue"> And do measure to see if you have lift arm clearance.
</font>

Hey SoundGuy,

Please do post a picture of the tractor that you had at the show, I know that it is a nice looking tractor. Looking at the tractors of the past, brings back memories of working on the farm, and going to Town on Saturday Night. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You've convinced me now to go for the 30 incher on the scoop. That's the size that I had before and it worked really good for me.

When you say "Lift Arm Clearance", I am assuming that you mean clearance between the wheels? Am I correct? The arms should have enough width, to hook to the scoop pins, as the pins can be either on the inside or he outside of the scoop.

I will have to remove my swinging draw bar, but it is held by 2 latchpins, so that is no problem at all. Can have it off in about 5 minutes.

It will be close on inside tire clearance, but that is also not a problem, as I still can widen my rear wheels some more wider.

Thanks again SoundGuy, The 30 Incher wasthe one that I really wanted, but just needed some guidance and reasurrance, that my little 224 could handle it. With front weights and 4X4, I should be ok, on the front end weight wize.

I will now check the price of the 30" Howse, and see which one is cheaper. Money Saved is Money Earned. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I hope that the KK is cheaper. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Have a nice day,

/ 3pt Hitch Dirt Scoop #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( With front weights and 4X4, I should be ok, on the front end weight wize. )</font>

Those little 200 series suitcase weights are inadequate in the face of a loaded 30" rear scoop dangling a few feet off the ground. You might want to consider fluid in your front tires. Depending upon your choice of ballast, you can safely add over 100# to a pair of 6.00x16 tires. See CHART

Or else practice up on your skid steering.

//greg//