284 LE oil & filter exchange & tilling comparison

/ 284 LE oil & filter exchange & tilling comparison #11  
SAE does test filters and oil and assign ratings for those products. Otherwise we'd still have toilet paper roll filters. Remember those? As quoted from the Fram website:

<font color="blue"> </font> "The Society of Automotive Engineers approved an industry standard test called the “Single Pass Efficiency Test” (SPE) to measure a filter's ability to remove contaminants from the engine’s system. The SPE Test is one of the industry standards for evaluating and comparing oil filter performance, and measures a filter's ability to remove less than 20 micron-sized particles of dirt the first time through.

The FRAM Extra Guard filter performs at 96.2% efficiency in the single-pass efficiency tests."

<font color="black"> </font> That sounds pretty clear to me. I use Fram filters, but I'm not partial. In fact I have had a Fram fail due to leakage around the crimp between the end and the can. Nobody's perfect.

It does stand to reason that the finer the element the more back pressure and less oil delivered to the bearing points. I would say it's a toss-up as to how fine a filter you want to put on your vehicles. Check the rating on the filter box. Once a 10 micron filter gets enough back pressure it will go into bypass mode and filter nothing.

I was happy to find one that fit my Y380T engine. I may try a different brand later on now that I have a number I can cross over.

/ 284 LE oil & filter exchange & tilling comparison #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I would say it's a toss-up as to how fine a filter you want to put on your vehicles. )</font>

I would say that oil filter selection should first be based on the type fuel burned, then on the viscosity rating and composition of the oil you're using, and finally on the ambient temp where the engine is to be used.

Diesel engines produce soot particulates that must be filtered to minimize sludge. Gasoline engines generally operate at higher temperatures. Thicker oils would be expected to flow more slowly through finer filtration, especially when cold. A guy running his tractor year round in Alaska would be smart to use a thinner oil than a guy running the same tractor summers-only in Florida. When initially specifying OE filters, engineers also consider oil pump capability.

So rather than being "a toss-up" Rick, I'd say it's only prudent to match oil filter selection to the engine, the oil, and the conditions. I apply similar logic to hydraulic filters (diesel soot excepted).

//greg//

/ 284 LE oil & filter exchange & tilling comparison #13  
Your correct Greg. I was referring to a toss-up as to brand not application. Guess I got a little bit ahead of myself.

/ 284 LE oil & filter exchange & tilling comparison #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( SAE does test filters and oil and assign ratings for those products. Otherwise we'd still have toilet paper roll filters. Remember those? )</font>

Yes, also read the Fram website info and I realize that SAE tests oil and filters, what I meant was a comparison style test. A study, which can demonstrate side by side performance.

I certainly agree with you regarding the "toss up" which is effectively what I was trying to say in my initial posting. But, there is so much more to filtration than the percentage of filtration on a single, multiple pass or even the size of the particles passing through the media. The filter could have a very restrictive media which has nearly 100% filtration but if the oil doesn't get to the bearing in sufficient volume, there's going to be problems. How does temperature, contaminates, viscosity, fluid pressure, etc. play into its performance as a filter? I would like to see a side by side comparison. Otherwise, the reams of collected data would be difficult or impossible for the average guy on the street to decipher.

It would be so much easier for the public in general if we didn't have to rely on anecdotal information which almost always carries some degree of bias not to mention inaccuracy. Keep in mind my comments are purely anecdotal as well.

/ 284 LE oil & filter exchange & tilling comparison #15  
Believe it or not the toilet paper filters are still around. They call them a "bypass filter".

"If you look into this further, you'll find the government is big on by pass filters that use paper towel rolls. In fact, lots of Hummers and other military vehicles use these filters. "

Not that I believe this nonsense.

http://utterpower.com/oil.htm